Brexit - what will happen to us in France?

What I fail to understand about the EU is that to enable us to trade with the EU we have to have freedom of movement. There are no other countries in the world that insist on free movement of people when trading so why must the EU insist on this rather stupid demand? The UK has not signed up to the Schengen agreement therefore the UK should be able choose whom it wants in the UK.
As for trading with the EU, our farmers certainly have no trade with them…have searched for British apples, Scotch beef, British potatoes etc to no avail.

1 Like

What lies and mistruths Pam, I voted leave based on my own research not from what I may or may not have read in the Daily Mail and or Sun, neither of which I read anyway and I certainly don’t agree with much of what the Biased Broadcasting Company (BBC) puts out. Try googling some facts as many of us leavers did. As for the £350 mill, its has been broadly agreed that is what UK pays into the EU, lets be clear, the leave campaigners said this could be paid into the NHS after Brexit when the UK no longer pays this into the EU prop up fund contrary to what Corbyn’s ex girlfriend stated. Incidentally I notice contrary to Camerons claim, WW3 hasn’t broken out, UK economy hasn’t taken a dive and other counties have now expressed are desire to enter into trade agreements with the UK which we can’t do as a member of EU.

3 Likes

Depending on one’s perspective, it is arguable that it looks like WW3 is about to break out but it is certainly true that the UK economy has taken a dive and will almost certainly continue to do so.

3 Likes

my post is lies and mistruths? You are accusing me of making up my experiences? As for the £350 million being ‘broadly agreed’ to be factual, broadly agreed by whom? It is proven to be a lie. The facts are there. Yes indeed, the leave campaigners did indeed say it could be paid to the NHS, and then when Farage was interviewed, he admitted it wouldn’t and said that it was ‘a mistake’ that it was ever said or emblazoned across the side of a bus and used in the campaign.
I would be most interested to hear where you got your ‘facts’ from before deciding to vote. I am also intrigued that someone would choose to live on a continent that they want no part of.
As for your comment that the UK economy has not taken a dive, I can only assume your post was tongue in cheek, otherwise it seems that you are clinically insane or self deluded. Have you seen the state of the £ recently???
Which other countries have expressed a desire to trade with the UK? Who told you that they are not allowed to trade with the UK is we are in the EU?

2 Likes

not sure whether you realise it but…the EU isn’t a country.
Frankly I consider that any UK citizen, who lives in the EU and voted to leave the EU, to be a hypocrite, and furthermore, since you dislike the EU so much, I hope you have the courage of your convictions to sell up immediately and return to the UK to live with the havoc you have wrought.
If you live in the UK, and have had to search for British beef and apples and spuds to no avail, I suggest that you take someone with sight with you the next time you shop. All are widely available. If you live in France and can’t find them that stands to reason. France produces all it needs, it sells its own produce in supermarkets. The UK has to import 60% of its food, which is why you find imported fruit and veg in our supermarkets.
Sheesh, it isn’t that difficult to figure out.

4 Likes

I think you seem to think that the UK still owns lots of countries and the map of the world is mostly red. It isn’t. I think you will also discover that as the £ continues to fall, and prices have to rise, that your customers will need to cut back on what they spend, including the products that you sell. Overseas buyers will be interested because the pound is so low, but your costs will increase to deal with these countries, either having offices in Europe, employing staff for those offices and paying in Euros which is costing more. Or you will have to be able to travel to those countries and import your products, but when we leave, neither of those will be so simple any more. I’ll tell you what. One year after we leave, come back here and tell us how it’s going for you. If I am wrong, I shall make abject apologies to you.
Things are already starting to pinch here in the UK for us normal people. My weekly groceries bill has risen for example. I’m in a better position than many though as I produce most of my own food, and share the surplus with my 2 neighbours.

2 Likes

the problem Rhys is that I didn’t sow what I shall have to reap here in the UK :frowning:

Plenty of UK products in the supermarkets. What are you talking about?

That’s because most of those things are sold on the home market. The UK, unlike France to name but one, is NOT self-sufficient in food. That is why UK grocery shopping is going to be a lot more expensive pretty soon.There are plenty of niche UK products in French supermarkets but they are exactly that, niche products, rather than daily essentials ( unless you actually live in 1950 and eat nothing but packet stuffing, salad cream, custard powder, industrial lemon curd, fray bentos pies etc).

3 Likes

First of all Pam I did not accuse you lying, lets look at the £350 mil first, Nigel Farage never promised that would go to the NHS, it was a suggestion by the leave campaign that Farage was not a part of, In fact it was a ‘suggestion’ made by Boris Johnson and Gove who suggested, not promised, ‘Lets give our NHS the £350 the EU takes every week’ My sources for the argument to leave were researched on the web in the months leading up to the referendum, that’s five months ago, do you expect me to still have all those links.I could suggest you google ‘Brexit the movie’ which if I remember gives an insight of how Brussels is run then you could look up TTIP.
Re your quotes.
" I am also intrigued that someone would choose to live on a continent that they want no part of." where do you get this from?

No one has said Britain wants no part of the European continent, Brexit means leaving the European union which is a political organisation.

"As for your comment that the UK economy has not taken a dive, I can only assume your post was tongue in cheek, otherwise it seems that you are clinically insane or self deluded. Have you seen the state of the £ recently???

Enough of the insults please. Debate this in an adult manner or not at all. http://www.bbc.com/news/business-36956418

Yes I have seen the state of the pound but that is due to world markets not Brexit. The pound was almost parity with the euro back in 2008

“Which other countries have expressed a desire to trade with the UK? Who told you that they are not allowed to trade with the UK is we are in the EU?”

USA, China, Iceland, India,Australia etc. Britain as a EU member cannot enter trade agreements independently of the EU. Currently trade agreement negotiations have to be passed by all member states. I think it was yesterday Canada’s deal trade deal collapsed because its been blocked by Belgium after seven years of negotiations. On the other hand, UK as an independent nation would be free to negotiate with the rest of the world and EU.

4 Likes

That’s bit of a nasty reply Miss Thomson, was that necessary? Argumentum ad hominem

2 Likes

Personally I have a huge problem with trading with any of those countries given Europe is on the doorstep. Food miles and all that…

2 Likes

If only I could sell…It is not for the want of trying! As for France being self sufficient, why then do they import potatoes from America, apples from Brazil, strawberries from Spain to mention a few? I doubt that UK shopping will ever be more expensive because they have something that France does not have…Competition!
I home bake everything, including bread but being a vegetarian in France is no fun. I am unimpressed with the lack of freshness and prices of many vegetables and don’t talk to me about French markets…go to many places in UK where thy have a farmer’s market, … the vegetables have been freshly picked that morning and the prices are very reasonable.
France is a beautiful country but it is also an expensive country in which to live!. Oh and BTW, I voted for Brexit for my children and grand children,…for me it makes little difference!

2 Likes

Please do not patronise me , I am fully aware the the EU is not a country but block of countries. My post was why does the countries of the EU insist on free movement when trading but no other countires with which we will be trading , expect free movement of people…we would have a hard time squeezing the Chinese into the UK!!!

1 Like

… the state of the pound but that is due to world markets not Brexit.
Now I’ve seen it all. You maybe clutching at straws but that’s the one that breaks the camel’s back. What caused the pound to go into meltdown on the world currency markets? Let me see, it was…
The trouble is I think that you believe most of what you write starting with the magic £350,000,000 and ending with that fairytale. OMG!

1 Like

The US Dollar, on the other hand, pushed GBP/USD down below the key level of 1.30, leaving the pair ever-nearer to its three-decade-lows. This was boosted by a generally optimistic jobless claims report from the US.

Now get a life.

I hope that your children are happier than mine then. My children used their own votes to remain as their futures were being built on belonging to the EU. Luckily for them they are eligible for German citizenship!
I’d love to know where you get the great cheap veg in the UK, I’ve never had it so good as it is here and why does a vegetarian find France difficult? Surely there’s plenty of choice out there to create your own meals. Arguments like that are beyond me!

5 Likes

I suggest you look at the whole picture. The cherry picking season is over.

4 Likes

Read my post, BRITISH PRODUCE ie fruit veg etc.

I have just returned from the UK and went to Battle farmer’s market last Friday…Fresh as a daisy cauliflowers at 80 pence…Lidls in France Today 1.99 euros. I am not going to argue with you but food in the UK is much cheaper than here. As I said before, it is because of the competition, of which, there is none in France. Likewise things like internet, electricity,…far greater choice in UK and you can pick whichever one suits best. Once again all very competitive.
I could not see any benefits to the UK staying within the EU. (and believe me I did a huge amount of research on both history of the EU and the modern EU)…strikes me the only big beneficiary of being part of the EU is Germany. Italy, Greece, Portugal and even France are in dire straits due to the euro…much better when countries could set their own currencies and devalue as necessary.

3 Likes