Have you made any really good buys that make you happy?

And a lot safer when we get the scorching weather in the summer.
Also a standby should they turn off the electricity.

SystĂšme de plantation avec Ă©clairage LED

OH found this at LIDL a few weeks ago: small planting system with LED light. It fits under the kitchen cupboards in the corner, perfectly! Very happy, and it seems like a well-designed unit. Never had one before, thought they were kind of silly if one has a whole garden to grow things in. But now I’m having fun checking every day to see how the seeds are doing. Feel a bit like a kid, excited. Nice to have something like this in my life right now. :herb:

Screen Shot 2021-05-17 at 22.30.26

3 Likes

Looks like a small DIY cannabis farm :rofl:

3 Likes

Hi Mary, we were given this one at Xmas. The first three plants were herbs, oregano, mint and basil if I recall. These three planted two weeks ago are thyme, parsley and mini tomatoes.

1 Like

That is so cool!!!

Ha! Yeah, well if you smoke basil and aubergine, then yer good to go. But that’s not a photo of my basil and aubergine; it’s just a stock photo from the manufacturer.

What is it? Fender on the headstock, the rest looks Gibson/Gretch. I’ve just been thru’ the entire Fender guitar range - didn’t see this.

I’ve made a few purchases in the past couple of weeks that give me the :grinning:

This in Lidl in the delightful Valencian town of Xativa. €1,89/bottle. Astonishingly good. Note the Lidl score of 86/100. I tried the Reserva but that was a little too ‘merlot’ for me. I prefer the ‘cab sauv’ kick. I bought 28 bottles - all they had except one, which I handed to a chap watching me clear the shelf, recommending it to the skies.

Persistent fault in engine management fixed for €1000 less than Peugeot wanted. :laughing:

‘Anti-pollution system fault’ light has been up on the dash since I bought the car in Oct and continued after I shelled out €900 for the local Peugeot agent in Torigni-s-Vire to fix it. They changed the particle filter, to no avail.

Further ‘analysis’ by their plug-in gizmos and the results sent to Peugeot Service HQ came back with “New Turbo required” €1200. They would say that, wouldn’t they?

Independent garage in Xativa identified and rectified the fault - mostly resulting from poor/dangerous work by Peugeot Torigni - in 2 hrs for €225.

A Peugeot main agent’s idea of refitting a turbo heat-shield.

Olympus Micro FourThirds OM-D1 MkII. This camera is in a different league to the MkI I bought to try out the M4/3 system. An amazing piece of kit.

My wish to save my creaking back from lugging full-frame kit about, albeit one can do no better, technically, has been achieved with loss of perceivable quality only evident at pixel-peeping level. And a 75-300mm lens [equivalent to 150-600mm on full frame] to get shots such as this with less cropping required.

By the way, the aeronautics boffins at Imperial College have calculated that it is impossible for bees to fly. :smirk:

Incredibly, at a shutter speed of 1/2000 sec, the wings are still a blur. The bio-mechanics required to achieve that are indeed beyond belief

2 Likes

Well done on the car fix

I thought that was debunked?

Well, clearly it doesn’t need debunking. It’s just one of those daft ‘proofs’ that boffins enjoy coming up with from t to t.

I have more trouble with the wave/particle thing. The diffraction grating experiment showing that whilst exhibiting the expected wave-pattern results of photons passing thru’ a pair of slits, passing one photon thru’ one slit ends up showing that it has passed thru’ both :thinking:

It would be useful to be able to be in two places at once, sometimes.

Well it wasn’t “aeronautics boffins at IC” for one thing.

It’s a very ragged old joke now, Paul. I’ve known it for decades longer than 10 years. But like all good stories, it’s worth giving it another run out, from t o t.

1 Like

Bought something I’ve been promising myself for over 20 years. Now I’ve retired, it’s appropriate.

Getting all the bits was traumatic though. A few of the bigger bits got stuck in the Suez canal courtesy of the EverGreen.

5 Likes

quwl dommage tried the link got the dreaded 404
will get hubby to investigate
love this website and the comments esp the humour
merci to Boss and Bossess

Yeah, I’ve had the ‘you need a new turbo mate’ from Peugeot before, in the UK. Turned out to be a faulty connection on pipework connected to the turbo output. Local garage fixed it for about £75.

It’s a Fender Starcaster. You can’t get them any more, they did two limited runs. I saw one in this video and had to have one! :smiley:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELKbtFljucQ

(That’s also an amazing live performance from Paolo.)

Shouldn’t it be a lot closer to the horizontal for spying on your neighbours?

I know the feeling. Odd idea by Fender. Fender humbuckers? People had been buying ES335s for years and went on doing so 
 Interesting guitar, makes a change from the default Gibson.

I just sold my flat in Spain but oddly, G.A.S. has not infected me - yet. But lurking in the shadows is another me - the drummer - who is whisperering sweet nothings about a set of digital drums
 Must buy a house first.

Indeed, Fender wanted a piece of the hollow-body market but they couldn’t coerce any real number of people away from Gibson, so they made the Starcaster for a few years in the '70s then gave up, save for a re-issue about 15 years ago, again just for a year or two. The '70s ones are worth a fortune! Mine is a re-issue, still lovely to play though. I sold a nice Epiphone ES335 before I moved to France and this is the replacement really.

Uh oh. I’ve been hanging my nose over one of these to replace my Pearl Export

Edit: actually, this one - similar, but the ‘real’ high-hats are really fancy and my biggest gripe with e-kits is the high-hats are often a bit crap: