Is Xenophobia on the rise post Brexit?

Well, if it doesn't happen......in the words of a well known song...."I predict a riot...", especially if the impetus for not starting artlicle 50 comes from a Baroness in the House of Lords.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gq-3ZrjNDpg

As you say Shelley, we are largely in agreement and I have no disagreement with what you wrote after that either, it's facts not fiction that counts! Although yes both can and do sometimes colour our opinions.

I changed my mind so many times over which way I was going to vote during the campaign and even now with the aftermath, listening to various people from all professions being interviewed on TV, I can't put hand on heart and say which result would have been correct. Yes Democracy in UK seems to have won out, but there is still no real and full democracy in the EC and that does concern me, because it seems unlikely there will be unless JC Junckers is replaced.

I I read a very interesting bio of him this morning, which stemmed originally from my news app which gives me UK and BBC headlines. Reading it, JcJ is as committed to his style and way of EC/EU integration and laws, as Farrage/Johnson and Gove were in getting UK out of there!

I also saŵ that the question of the abolition of the 15 year rule (as promised in the Tory Manifesto) will be coming up again quite soon in UK Parliament. Sir Roger Gale is apparently championing it, especially in light of the BREXIT Vote. If a 2nd Referendum is held and all UK expats in Europe are allowed to vote, the thinking seems to be the result would be different and the Remainers would win!

Jane That Generation in UK were the ones the younger voters were calling the Grey brigade, when it was obvious from TV interviews many retired voters there would vote leave! Project Fear certainly worked on them, sadly!

I've always seen it as my right and responsibility to vote in local and general elections there and always have done, even though OH didn't often. Unless he signed up for the Referendum voting, he's another one in France who won't have voted from here.

Regarding declining income I have just been told by clients that they have a smaller

holiday budget owing to the poorer exchange rate and buisness not doing as well as it was

a fewmonths back.They will be going to fewer restaurants and generally being a little more frugal. Interesting, dissapointing and not suprising....but not good news for anyone.

Fairenoughski - each to their own view!

It looks a little bit like war.

Because there was an Act to take us into the EU there will have to be one to take us out.

The result of the Referendum is not sufficient on its own.

This is a forum and if you don't like it, that is up to you.

still a higher number than the 35% who wanted to remain

Jane, you seem to think that those who chose to vote Leave were ill informed and "seduced by false promises". Why on earth do you assume that? My husband and I voted to Leave and we were very well informed and read all sides of the argument, watched most of the devates. I don't believe any promise that a politician makes although I was delighted that David Cameron kept to his promise to have a referendum. Were the Leave voters any less informed by those who voted Remain? The majority vote won ... at least the majority that bothered to turn out and vote on the day.

Because I think that a lot of them were.

Totally amazing that the areas that have benefited from major investment, Nissan and BMW, for example voted Leave.

Cambridge which has Silicon Fen voted Leave because of agricultural workers coming from Eastern Europe.

I know understand why so few people post in here now.

It's full of bigotted busybodies just like you Jane who can't mind their own business and are full of their own self importance.

One more personal comment like that Graham and you will be banned.

I guess you don't live or work in France, Sandy, otherwise a leave vote is playing russian roulette ?

So maybe it's not all about the money for some people? Perhaps the voted inspite of the investments made?

I live and work in France (and have done for 10 years now) but I agree with Sandy. Yes, lots of unknowns but also lots of potentual positives for the future in my view. It will be what we make it - helped or hindered by the politians - a lot remains to be seen! My French and German friends and family seem much more accepting of different views re Brexit than many people on SFN, unfortunately but perhaps this is because it does not affect them in the same way.

Shelley, I can see both sides of the arguement but what I don't get is the idea of the UK having to accept the four freedoms - it won't be able to cherry piik regardless of what was promissed - then have to pay just as much to have access yet have no say and perhaps no european aid either. It seems so daft. For the record, after more than 10 years living and working here in different jobs, having been through uni here etc. ... my heart agrees to leaving for all those "wonderfully different, stand alone, blighty" ideas, but my head says "haut et fort" REMAIN. Over to the politicians to see what they can sort out/make a go of it all.

I've seen this before Hilary and I came to the conclusion that poor Toby is unreliable. Don't forget Hilary, anybody can be an associate editor of the Spectator. It's more relevant that he was fired by Vanity Fair.

First off I found his condescending body language disconcerting. Three minutes ten seconds into his piece he states that "finding other European countries to ally themselves with Britain has proved difficult", who's bloody fault has that then, the 27 others or the UK? At three minutes forty five seconds in he uses a law on beer duty as his best example of the Europen Court overruling British sovereignty and the the reason why Nigel Lawson is now pro Brexit. Ridiculous IMO. At four minutes thirty five seconds he reveals that since 1973 the UK has lost 77% of it's cases in the European Court, as if that's the Courts fault, LOL. After that I gave up, regretting I'd spent any time watching this idiot again.

The bottom line for me is that anybody that watched this clown and voted leave even partially based on his misinformation is a gullible idiot.

Sad though isn't it Sandy, how a two percent majority can drag the whole Country into the unknown? That can't be right.

"Potential positives" don't put food on the table or pay the rent Shelley. What are the "potential positives"? We now have concrete metrics on some of the negatives (and their will be a whole lot more) but what concrete metrics do we have on the positives...... NONE.

I can understand why your German and French friends are indifferent, the UK has been an unwilling member of the EU (EEC) since day one. Many in Europe think good riddance.

The impact on me will will be zero, I just feel sad about the Brexit stupidity.