Oh What A Surprise!

Dear Simon & David,
I don’t know why you are assuming that I will be going back to he UK…?

I think in a previous post (ages ago, it seems now), that I voted purely on the basis of what I thought/think would be good for the UK…
Hopefully, the EU has begun to take on board, that things that were previously ‘set in stone’, will have to change (as evidenced by already a certain amount of backtracking by Merckel and views expressed by Marine Le Pen and recent electoral trouble in other parts of the EU…So if those changes happen, that should help the quality of life in all the EU countries…

As for our economic future, of course I’m no expert, but this guy is…that’s why parliament asked for his opinion…

Before, i voted, I did my best to inform myself…this was one source that was a help to me…
I have posted it before. I dont intend to get into lengthy discussions re this…It’s self explanatory…

Quite simple really - as Brexit was sold predominantly on an anti-immigration ticket it follows that those supporting it would no longer want to be immigrants themselves - especially within the Europe they have voted to leave.

Is that what’s called a juxtaposition or could I possibly have missed something ? :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi David, Its good that you know Belgium, you must have found how nice everybody is and of course they speak English, well they do in Flanders. Babette is from Merelbeke so moving back to Belgium we are close to her family which is really nice.
Yes the beer is great and the fact you have Belgium beer locally in France is useful. Where we have our other home in Montazeau there is not really a good local bar so I just pick up a few beers from the supermarket. Thats where we miss Roma, we had a massive shop called Eatily which sells nearly every beer made in Europe.
Thanks for your reply, Geof

But it’s not really quite that simple is it, Simon.

There’s no panacea, there’s no one solution that is going to suit everybody everywhere. So you have to recognise that what might be best for the UK as a whole, might not be what will suit you, personally, best.

I don’t altogether agree with HJD but I do recognise that what’s best for Brits who have left the UK, and what’s best for the UK itself, may well be 2 different things. It’s a bit like kids leaving home isn’t it, they get all upset when mum and dad decide to sell up and move to a smaller home where there’s no room for them to come and stay. But you have to cut the umbilical cord and face the fact that your destinies are not always going to be intertwined.

1 Like

Personally… I find that this thread has now become a bit of a bore… that is my own opinion… and others may well disagree…

Life is too short to waste time niggling at one another like this…:tired_face:

It’s about much more than that…

We need a degree of immigration but we should be able to control it…especially because we are such a small country compared to our European (& World ), neighbours…Who ever thought that we wouldn’t /shouldn’t need to do this were/are idiots !
It’s about making our own laws that can’t be overruled by any foreign court, maintaining our culture and not losing it forever…Other cultures in the World recognise this eg, Japan, parts of the Middle East, Hungary, Poland, …Countries that ignore this just end up making the Far right stronger…

With any luck, it might just be possible to keep it at the top of the list for visitors(instead of allowing it to be changed irrevocably and making it into something unrecognisable) and fend of f the ghastly future scenario …with such things as Sharia law…etc

Thank you for making it clear where your fears lie. I respect your opinion but I think it is very strange that a British citizen resident in another country should feel so strongly. It’s interesting that you are distancing yourself from the views of the far right as I can seed aspects of their beliefs in you post.

Residual ‘political correctness’. I suppose…
It’s Ok to talk openly about preserving culture if one is an American Indian, but not if one is a white English person…

But how is you wanting to live in France ANY different to another immigrant wanting to live in Britain? I really can’t see it. What right do you have to want to stop others having the same opportunities as yourself? Let’s not forget either that Britain needs its immigrant workforce more than France needs its British expat population.

2 Likes

Ik woonde in Antwerpen en sprak Vlaams, niet Engels :wink: leve de erfgenamen van Jan Zonder Vrees!! U bent in België op jullie kont in de boter gevallen :relaxed:

Actually it’s ok to talk about both but…to suggest that the ‘predicament’ of white Anglo-Saxons is in any way comparable to that of American Indians is frankly abhorrent.

1 Like

Well put David!

Oh dear Friedman and Minford. The first a futurologist and the second Maggie’s economic puppet master.

And nonsense… dangerous nonsense. This white Anglo Saxon and a little Spanish wonders if Anglo Saxon culture has actually been definable since the years after 1066.

2 Likes

Well, that’s your opinion, that’s OK…