So who would you vote for in France

:beers:?:-1::fearful::sob:

2 Likes

Excellent emoji sentence, I need to up my game!

:heart_eyes::+1::eyeglasses:

2 Likes

So you say Britain cannot be self sufficient, what absolute rubbish, Britain managed very well before joining the EU and doesn’t need to import food from the EU. There are plenty of other countries Britain can import food from that it doesn’t produce, goods like pineapples, Kiwi fruits etc. Any Brit here who agrees with you should be ashamed of themselves. Oh and Britain doesn’t import GM foods except perhaps animal feed and also doesn’t cultivate GM foods either.

1 Like

All I said that I think it is unsustainable aand I still think that!

Are you sure? Lee…who is going to do all the veg and fruit picking when your lot
Get rid of all the hard working Europeans!!!

Daft question, same people that are doing it now, many years ago when I was knee high to a grasshopper, I worked on a farm, the farms used to hire ‘Tap’ men who were mainly Irish labourers as temp staff to do the potato picking etc. That was well before joining the EEC. We’re leaving the EU not leaving the planet. We had a saying in the army, Improvise, Adapt, Overcome. I’m sure Brits will manage as they have done for centuries.

not a daft question Mr.

We have not the same type of people as there were when you

were in your shorties and school cap.

Every one wants to be top dog.

Not sure what you really think you have voted for Lee.

Maybe you should [p[ back to kent to pick hops and tatties.

Hi Leonora,

That’s your point and I respect that.

Still think as an EU (Union), it could be sustainable if (and I agree with you) was less bureaucratic and faster responding to various issues. This is where we will disagree and sure, as I believe this would only happen with closer integration.

However, I still believe been in the EU is better for the UK than leaving it, for polictical and security reasons ( Russia). Plus we are more powerful as a bloc for countries re trading than negotiating by ourselves.

Cheers

Martin

2 Likes

I’m not sure that the majority of the people doing it now will want to stay. Those with the initiative, guts and stamina needed to do the hard, antisocial labour which gets the crops to market have a choice of many other countries to settle in where their input will be appreciated. Hopefully I’m wrong and Britain will shine without the support of the EU and all it offers but I won’t worry too much either way. I left the place over half a lifetime ago and on recent visits have not seen anything that would encourage me to go back. I’ve seen and enjoyed other cultures and moved on.

3 Likes

Keep it civil please

Fair points Martin, The main reason I voted out was indeed because of the bureaucracy and the interference of UK laws.

Lee, it’s interesting to see other people’s point of view.

Hopefully we will be able to all report back in a couple of years time and see how it is going.

Martin

Just some old fashioned humour Lee.
With a little reality mixed in.

Which laws specifically @anon29800096 ?

1 Like

Facts, Lee. I did not say the UK CANNOT be self-sufficient, I said it IS NOT. The UK currently imports 40% of its food, not fancy luxury food but basic essential food. See below. 2016 figures, btw.

"The introduction of a post-Brexit farm policy is an opportunity to increase Britain’s self-sufficiency in food, according to the NFU.

The union is warning that the UK’s ability to feed itself has stagnated over the past 15 years.

This is leaving the country exposed to the volatility of global markets and increases the risks of having to import food produced to lower standards than those required of domestic producers.

See also: Defra pledges to reverse self-sufficiency decline

Increasing our self-sufficiency in food isn’t about closing off the markets we have in other countries. It’s about capitalising on what this country is good at – we have world-class standards in terms of traceability and animal welfare Meurig Raymond, NFU president

Today (9 August) marks the date in the calendar where the British larder would run dry if the nation was fed by British food only, the union has warned.

This calculation is based on a self-sufficiency rate of 61% in 2015, which is 1% lower than in 2014, but 13% lower than 20 years ago."

Human rights laws is one example, EU courts have constantly blocked deportation of criminals, I’m sure if I did some research I could give more detailed examples.

Actually you did say that,

Yes Britain may import 40% of its food which would mean Britain produces 60%

Is this a direct reaction to the report recently that farmers had to destroy whole crops of I believe cauliflowers purely because of the glut of imports from Europe, by that doesn’t mean I am complaining about European imports but it does have a adverse effect on production.

Obviously I am biased against anything the EU officials tell us. In any case one can look for the reasons for the decline, would 40% imports be relevant?

Self sufficiency decline due as I mentioned earlier to the glut of imported goods.[quote=“vero, post:220, topic:15151”]
Today (9 August) marks the date in the calendar where the British larder would run dry if the nation was fed by British food only, the union has warned.

This calculation is based on a self-sufficiency rate of 61% in 2015, which is 1% lower than in 2014, but 13% lower than 20 years ago."
[/quote]

This is a bit of an exaggeration methinks. One cannot predict the future. What union stated this, NFU or EU.
Anyway going by those figures, would imports from the EU be the reason for the alleged decline?

Hopefully I might still be around then having suffered 2 strokes and have now found I have heart issues :laughing:

Sorry, took it personally, thought you was having a dig. my time on the farm was my first job after I left school aged 15 and was thrown out of the kids home. Oh and we didn’t have hops up north, lots of sugar beet cereal crops etc and the tap people did the tattie picking.

That’s a good reason to keep going so you can challenge me in a couple of years time! :slight_smile: (if you are right)
Martin