The name of this forum

There a great deal of very useful information and discussion on this forum but I feel that the title 'Survive France ’ is very negative.
It suggests that living in France is a trial of endurance to be survived.
In my experience living in France is a joy and far preferable to living in that small island across the La Manche. Yes, there are frustrations to living here but these are far outweighed by the benefits.
How about changing the name of this group to ‘Enjoying France’ ?

Welcome, Borden.

Why not tell us a bit about yourself and your connection to France?

My wife and I are both retired. We moved the France in 2020 under the WA. We now live in a Borg in the Haute Vienne.

2 Likes

Hi :wave: and welcome.

This has been covered in the past… Being called Survive France

For what it’s worth, I agree with you… it’s perhaps not my choice of name, but I respect Cat’s and James’s choice, and there’s so much worthwhile info on the site that I don’t let the name bother me :slight_smile:

1 Like

Welcome Borden!

I suspect the title is meant to be slightly ironic, but yes I guess it could be construed as negative.

How do you find life in your Borg, have you been assimilated yet? :wink:

6 Likes

Clearly :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

1 Like

Equally one could say it is a well rooted and positive name!

Survive comes from the old French sourvivre, which in itself comes from Latin *supervivere. So “super”meaning in addition and “vivre” meaning alive.

Thus more than alive!!

5 Likes

Hello and welcome. Please excuse my ignorance but what is a borg?

3 Likes

Oh God :roll_eyes:

With all due respect, why not just pitch in and enjoy the forum rather than starting off by trying to change it? :slightly_smiling_face:

7 Likes

Now that, @Gareth , was my assumption, but I was trying to cunningly extract information about where the Borgs are placed in the Haute Vienne. I’m concerned that they may be closer than I find comfortable! :rofl:

4 Likes

1 Like

Resistance is futile :wink:

1 Like

If she’s a Borg from Haute-Vienne, surely she would be called Seven of 86? :slight_smile:

9 Likes

The TLF gives the following definition for bourg:
Rural agglomeration less important than the town where the market of the surrounding villages is usually held.

Indeed, but you spelled it “Borg” in your post which is why people have gone off at a Star Trek tangent :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Thank you. It’s amazing what a difference a single letter can make :wink:

Now U know it makes sense…

1 Like

Had me wondering Y.

Happily, all those borg posts belped bring the otherwise long-forgotten Borgward Isabella out of the murky depths of my memory.

The Fifties’ ones are sort of Borgward into an alternative future (that never came about).

3 Likes