Writers, Bloggers and Translators

Hi Brian

I'm sorry I didn't revisit the re-naming issue following your post of the 11th. I thought my view might be a little biased as I think 6 of those on the shortlist were my suggestions! I very much like The Write Stuff and Writers Block.

Hello peeps

How do I embed my new blog on sfn?

It was a work trip. Check put my blogposts on http://francesbigadventure.blogspot.com

One more post on Rio still to be written.

The Write Stuff.

OK Frances, lucky you. Quite some time since I have been to Rio. In fact I was chatting on Facebook to Bene, a friend there, and remarking on the fact that we had both gone grey since I was visiting the organisation he used head.

OK, the group. I'll have a word with Catharine about it and get back to you at least.

As a 'wordsmith' I really should proof-read before sending replies. Oops!

Brian

Sorry you didn't get much of a response.This is often the case these days. people express an interest but it's superficial compard to other stuff they are doing in their lives.

I have been in Rio de Janeiro for the past two weeks so my apologies for not getting back to you until now. Back yesterday and now at work full of jetlag and le rhume. I recently described myself to an economics prof as a wordsmith while I helped him craft his communique so 'Wordsmiths' would be my choice but I don't really mind the name you choose.

Don't worry if you don't get any more responses, just share with those of us who are interested. I'm always keento learn.

Stanley, you may have noticed that I put out the appeal/request for responses to two issues on 11 June with a one week deadline but, apart from you, nothing. I think that for me it tells me that I do not want to take up the role of administrator for a group that has 121 members but does not function.

As the automatic email, I do not remember, I think it is simply something you will find on the home page or one of the pull downs. Let's see what will happen now before you go ahead, but I see it as a lost opportunity if it goes nowhere.

Brian

Excuse delay replying. For moment have lost the automatic email notification for comments on SFN so am catching up. How do I get back on circuit?

Re SOAF-SFN I'll discuss the idea with our chairman Gregor Dallas. Am sure getting together will be beneficial for published and aspiring authors.

Useful source for all writers suggest www.writers-online.co.uk

Must dash now - preparing for the England v Italy match!

My new blog

http://openingspaceretreat.blogspot.fr/

As you may, or should, know we are looking for a new name for the group in order to take in more than the original ‘group’ of people. Catharine asked that question and received 45 responses, most of them good, a few not so good.

However, there were lots of ideas. I have taken the liberty of leaving out half a dozen that we really should not try. So it is now a narrowing down process.

Bear in mind that beyond the original writers, bloggers and translators we now also have poets, editors, interpreters and people with language skills in general. So we are not only the written but also spoken word. In narrowing down our choice we should therefore think written and oral.

Here are the suggestions:

The Spoken Word.

Knowitalls

The Word

The Voice

Words and Co

The tower of wisdom

Verbatim

The Write Stuff

Communique

Palabra

Wordsmiths

A lexicommunity

Writers Unblocked

Les Vocabulaires

Le coin ecrivain

Write here

Write on

Les Ecrivains

Post scriptum

The Joy of Lex

Writers Block

Ecrivains Sans Frontieres

Chapter and Verse

Type Cast

The A4 Team

Word Search

Who's Writing Now?

Wuthering Writes

Pencil Pushers

Pen Pushers

We possibly need a short list or or if any single suggestion is so well supported it is clearly the right one we will go for it. So perhaps we should give it until next Sunday, 17 June, for you to respond.

Then we have Stanley Lover's suggestion to seriously consider. Taking Stanley’s own words, what he told us was ‘the French branch of The Society of Authors (SOAF) was established in 2006 to pool ideas and experience. About 200 SOA members live here. With several hundred other published authors, and maybe another 1000 budding authors seeking advice, I believe the SFN would be an excellent debating platform for all French based writers.

In recent years the traditional publishing industry has changed dramatically, due to remarkable developments in self-publishing and rapidly growing market for digital works.

It's never been easier for potential authors to realise dreams of being published at little or no cost - via guidance from Amazon, Apple, etc., to support expanding worldwide sales of Kindle and other eBook reading devices.

SFN and SOAF together could be of practical help for all expat writers in these columns. One thought would be to encourage writing groups around the country’.

So let’s have some thoughts on that as well as our new name.

Thanks everybody, suggestions so far are superb (a few are sillier than one of Ron Birks' and my own nonsensical exchanges, so perhaps not...). Give it the full weekend to roll on then perhaps we need a shortlist to 'vote' one from, at least something to give us consensus.

Thank you Valerie - so efficient!

(That's Nescot for you!!)

It's on MY page not the SF page - scroll down from all the drunken singing?

Here you go Brian - Catharine - and it's the first item on the left hand panel. About 40 comments so far.

Maybe I am too tired, tried finding the suggestions on your fbpage but couldn't. Help!

Actually better than that Glyn, perhaps Stanley would be kind enough to post them here for everyone? Thanks Stanley!

Stanley, I hadn't heard of the SOAF, perhaps you would be kind enough to PM details about it.

Thank you Glyn

And on the subject, this is brilliant!

Some great ideas over on my fb page! Thought I'd ask every one what they thought re names and there are some fab suggestions!