2012 End of the World and All That

So I missed it! Darn! Must really check the events listings more carefully in future - that is if we have one. :-)

So we missed the end of the world 11 months ago. That’s just my luck, I was looking forward to that. At least we know what happened to the music now!

To anybody taking this at all seriously: get a turkey. Thinking of some Chrstmases past, they do seem to last for life.

I think this all started as a Mayan calendar thing but there are a few scientific facts which get in the way.

Firstly, something I don't really understand but they had several calendar schemes, one of them being the Long Calendar which is in Base 20 (as opposed to our decimal way of thinking). The December thing is actually a significant change in the Long Date - kind of equivalent to our millenium thing - and I think it is something like 12.9.9.9 becomes 13.0.0.0 and really, we should be making restaurant reservations to celebrate.

Secondly, those pesky Romans ruined things a bit, namely by introducing the Leap Year which is not in the Mayan calendar. Ignoring Leap Years, the world actually ended approximately 11 months ago.

What really happened was that good music died in about 1985! Then again, at my age, I would say that! (Why do I sound like my Dad now?)

Best to all...

When the end of the world sounds like that bit when everybody has had enough of Christmas but some of the food is still hanging around, it seems like and opportune moment for the end of time. Cold turkey and obsolescence. I'll take mine with a helping of pasta please!

I was wondering,will there be enough to go round?
Of course there will in the week that follows the end of the world turkey petition, we’ll be buckled with turkey sandwiches.

Why doesn't the world get together and have the turkey for a last supper? We can wrap it in the petition.

lets get up a petition ,save the end of the world turkey

I say read "Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" and 'The Restaurant at the End of the Universe" where you can watch the Universe explode before your very eyes for your entertainment ;-)

Ooh I don’t think anyone is placing much importance on it here either tbh. Except perhaps interested parties with properties for sale down there.
Hope my bet comes off though and the turkey gets saved.

Until 24 December and just when everybody thinks they're safe and Nick's bookie is rubbing his hands.. Kabooom! Save Santa a lot of work though.

It would be great if the immigration lot were off that day, everybody running hither and thither and still no point. Dave definitely had George budget for it.

and then you get roasted! Hmmmm!

well if we go down in flames theres no need to cook it

Do I order a turkey or not?

Well as my pension starts in October this year i shall be a little miffed not being able to claim it after all the years i have paid into it, i bet its Mr Cameron who has organised it to save on paying out pensions but dont tell Bob Crow else he will have the trains out on strike asking for a bonus for working through the end of the world

I find the time amusing. Presumably Ussher/Lightfoot considered God to be a Gentleman who couldn't possibly have started work before nine o'clock though even that is a little early.

I believe Lightfoot actually estimated 3929 BC and indeed Ussher thought 4004, nonetheless there is a plaque in St Catherine's that commemorates Lightfoot and his date that I vaguely remember inside an entrance off Silver Street. Arthur Dickson Wright was a surgeon and also wrote some witty stuff, there was a line of men of that name, profession and humour for a couple of hundred years including the one who wrote that which mocked the estimates, he was also the ancestor of Clarissa Dickson Wright which really inspires confidence in his work (sic) seeing what a 'serious' person she is not.

Like Nick, I think the carpets in question should be taken seriously, especially Ben's Mayan one. They can all be laid in a direct line back to whichever date was right, then run through various Dickson Wright tombs, a red one takes a slight deviation through David Cameron's mouth, they then have a branch leading to Nick's bookie and the final section is smouldering in advance of the forthcoming December. QED.

The 4004 date and time was the estimation of Bishop Ussher it was added to Lightfoot's writing either mistakenly or mischievously by A Dickson wright in 1896.

Don't mind the before Christmas bit. Since I am always a last minute shopper it will save me the time and money. Do any French officals know about this? Come to that, do they know anything ever? So this does not really matter!