2023 tax return

Voilà!

1st of June, better get my skates on then, thanks @vero :smiley:

1 Like

I know I can be a bit dense about these things, but I have a question!

I’ve submitted my return, such as it is, and I wanted to adjust my monthly pre-payments. I had one set up the year before last but “they” reset it to zero last year, which means I paid last years tax in 4 months of payments and look like doing this year’s the same way. I would obviously rather the payments were spread out over the year but, having looked at the options, I can’t work out how to reset them from zero so that next year’s are not buinched up at the end of the year. I’ve tried both of the two options offered to me once I go into that area of the impots site and neither seem to apply. If anyone could give me some pointers, I would really appreciate it!

(Since all of my income is from the UK, nothing is genuinely deducted at source by an employer)

@JohnBoy …my sentiments entirely, OH and I quite prepared to forego a couple of good meals out to pay the fees instead of hours of hassle and stress!

I tried to set my prélèvement payments on the tax site today so that I can start paying what I owe now (the fisc set it to zero last year for some reason) rather than in September, which is when they’ll take it out otherwise.

However, my attempts to do so ended up with this message -

• En effet, la modulation à la baisse n’est pas possible lorsque le montant du prélèvement à la source qui en résulte est inférieur de moins de 5 % au montant du prélèvement qui aurait eu lieu en l’absence de modulation.

This made no sense to me whatsoever. Anyone any ideas before I try going to see them?

By the way, in desperation, I put it through Google Translate and the result was more incomprehensible than the original but at least it made me laugh!

They won’t reduce (modulate) PAYE (prélèvement à la source) to less than 95% of it’s nominal value (i.e. max reduction of 5%); I think.

Or maybe they won’t reduce it to less than 5% of it’s nominal value.

It seems a terribly convoluted way of putting it even for French official legalese.

That’s what I thought - but since it is currently set to zero, I really don’t see what sort of reduction they can possibly be talking about… :roll_eyes:

Could it be -

You can’t start paying now - the direct debit cannot be set up / taken till September. And also they thought you wanted to reduce an existing payment (allowed) but you can’t reduce your existing payment - 5% of zero is still zero…

I’m curious though, why not just set up a standing order to pay into a LEP or Livret A and when time comes, withdraw the amount to part cover your prelevement direct debit from September. You can pocket the interest in the meantime…

Yes indeed I do save up in order to make the payment in September but that’s when all the other major bills come in so I’d rather spread it if possible.

However, You may well (of course) be right about your first suggestion. I’ll try again in January and see whether it will work then…

@larkswood12 As promised, after having just finished the tax declaration, the following are the boxes I filled for UK rental income:

boxes 4BA and 4BL and 8TK - used rental profit figure that is taxable in the UK i.e. net rental value after deducting expenses

boxes 210, 221,222,223,224 then the form automatically calculates the profit

ticked box ‘des revenus imposable ouvrant droit…’
box 6 net rental value which is the taxable value in the UK

Now just wondering if enough energy or enthusiasm to tackle the UK self assessment this afternoon :grinning:

1 Like

Go for it!
If you have submitted France Individual forms for your pensions to be taxed in France and not UK, except those government pensions always taxed in UK, then it takes no time at all. Providing you have all your rental figures to hand it takes just a few minutes.
Remember that you cannot submit rental income directly via the government portal but via a 3rd party.
I use selftax.co.uk. £11.99 per submission and very easy to use.
I should add that you must not include any income from pensions covered by France Individual as they will be added ro your UK tax liabilities which of course have been removed via the FI form.

1 Like

Thanks @JohnBoy , I’ll take a look at the selfatax site as seems a little lower cost versus what I used last year. As for pension, fortunately, or unfortunately, I have quite a few years to go before reaching pensionable age, so think the return should be relatively straightforward :+1:

1 Like

I still use paper! And it costs €1.80 for the stamp. Our SA return arrived yesterday and it will take max 10 minutes to complete having sorted out all the papers for French return.

I read that they were going to stop sending the paper forms, but seems not yet! I object strongly to having to pay for 3rd party software. So even if I have to download and print out the forms myself I will continue to submit on paper.

And UK return now also done and submitted - what a day! :partying_face: Very very satisfying to have both of these now cleared.

Now just need to take a look at the property declaration!

1 Like

I cannot understand why HMRC won’t let non UK residents use online return filing for self assessment( ie having to paper file, or use commercial software).

Whenever I’ve raised this with HMRC staff, you get rather half hearted excuses about the difficulty of creating functionality to support the Residence and Double tax treaty supplements… Doesn’t sound that convincing to me - other countries seem to be able to cope with their non residents filing online…

Interested if anybody has ever received a more convincing explanation?

Finalizing my tax return to go into the post tomorrow… But can’t see where is the box to tick to say I have an S1. I know I found it on the form last year, but don’t have my copy to hand, and can’t find the box on this year’s forms.

Can anyone give me the box reference? It will be the same box number online, as on paper.

Declarant 1: 8SH and Declarant 2: 8SI
on blue form 2042CK (Revenus 2022 complementaire…)

thanks Stella. No S boxes in Section 8 of the 2042K pré-remplie form they’ve sent me - I will add a note somewhere on the form to say S1 (Royaume Uni) détenue

Ah… they sent me 2 blue forms…
2042K Revenus 2022
2042CK Revenus 2022 Complementaire…

I didn’t think I needed the 2042CK and didn’t fill it in… searching the other form for the boxes to tick re S1 healthcare…

It was only after I’d sent my Return in the post… that I scrutinized more closely the 2042CK and finally spotted the bit
Section 8 I DIVERS
and near the bottom of that back page…
“Revenus du patrimoine exoneres de CSG et de CRDS” and then the boxes to tick…

Frankly, I was searching with a magnifying glass … and it is written so small… and blue on blue… aaaargh.

I’m sending 'em a Message to tell them of my “S1 adherence”… and I won’t make the same mistake next year…

1 Like

“Indeed, reducing the prélèvement is not possible when the resulting amount of prélèvement is less than 5% of what the prélèvement would have been without the reduction.”
Sounds like your resulting monthly prélèvement is too small compared to what the lump sum prélèvement would have been in September?

France could definitely do with the equivalent of Crystal Mark campaign for plain english.