2023 tax return

Yes indeed - I thought it was a bit high too but early in the year the rates were higher than that and, at least for my pension calculations, they worked out about the same.

1 Like

Thanks, Angela. Looking back through my exchanges it does seem to balance out.

I’m obviously trying to blank out the good old days when £1 was worth more than 1.15€!

1 Like

I think we got so bogged down with how far the rate had fallen by the end of the year, 1.158 started to seem like a dream

What would suit me best of course is to do a mix of “correct” day rates for some sources of income and averages for others since our joint income is more than somewhat erratic, but that feels like cheating and I’m not sure it would bear inspection by the fisc. (I’m the duaghter of a tax inspector so brought up to be correct :rofl: )

I don’t think anyone is going to like this post however I’ve posted it as it was reported by Isabelle Want in the BH Assurance Newletter for May.

The exchange rate for 2022 is 1.17 (that is the average of last year). You can get another rate from your local tax office, use theirs if it is lower than 1.17! Note that when you ask the official Paris tax office they tell you to use the rate from the “banque de France” on the day you got paid! Or use the average of the year.

That was me, I got the figure from The Connexion’s tax guide,

1 Like

I always ask my local tax office via the messagerie and keep the answer. There’s no way they can dispute that!

2 Likes

I always use the rate I get each time I make a transfer and then average it out over the year. Last year I only did one transfer, in January, and sadly (now, not then) the rate I got was 1.19. :astonished:

I think I might ask the tax office this year, :thinking: :rofl:

I also did the calculation as the connexion described except I used 3 Jan (or 4th) 2022 instead of 30 December 2021 bank de france figure - the exact calc is on my other machine so I’ll post it later, it was approx 1.1572 something

All -

Can I ask re the 3916 declaring bank accounts, seems there’s there’s been some posts on the revolut thread, is it still limited to 99 accounts (I ask coz I have hundreds).

The figure we have been given each year by the local tax office always seems to match the one given in Connexion (surprisingly?) which, this year is, I understand from Dr Mark H, 1.158.
The calculation may be bizarre (and most years I’ve checked it) but it appears to be the average of the end Dec figure for previous year and the end Dec figure for the current year as issued by the Banque de France ( and then divided into 1 in order to change euros-to-punds into pounds-to-euros).

Sorry, @larkswood12 , yes it is :frowning:

I read some posts on another forum that the user was advised by their france accountant or someone to use the bank de france rate at the end of the tax year, i.e. AT 30 DECEMBER 2022.

Now that seems rather cheeky, but possibly understandable given we have to get the euro’s to pay the taxes now, an not when the £ was glorious???

Given that thought, why not use the rate the day of the declaration :slight_smile:

Tempting to think about, but I know switching methods will probably result in pain next year (hopefully ÂŁ will go up again?).

Thanks Angela, its not a massive problem, I’m now listing opened or closed accounts in each tax year inn the electronic 3916 and handing in a paper copy of all of the accounts each year.

When we were at the tax office last year doing the 2021 return for Madame on paper again after they lost her 2020 one I mentioned the 2020 paper 3916 emailed in and the need for an updated one - they said don’t bother - but of course not in writing.

PS I found the tax bulletin setting out the penalties for incorrect 3016’s - they were from 20 euros - and only for deliberate errors (?)

1 Like

Small mistakes maybe €20, but omission is much greater!

Si vous ne dĂ©clarez pas un de vos comptes Ă  l’étranger, vous risquez une amende de 1 500 € par compte non dĂ©clarĂ©.

Si le compte est situĂ© dans un État qui n’a pas conclu avec la France de convention de lutte contre la fraude et l’évasion fiscales, l’amende sera de 10 000 € par compte.

Yes, the requirement seems to consume so many peoples time and anguish but always best to declare every account even if not sure - just shove them all in - online forms, pdf’s, paper, secure messages - all mechanisms.

Last year I sent them the pdf list over the secure message system - they said can;t deal with the request and to post it. I printed it out and went down to the tax office - massive queue, so just shoved it in an envelope and deposited it in the ‘box’. Never heard anything.

The requirement is really not worked through - the approach is declare all your foreign accounts - and declare online if you have internet, but we’ll only let you declare 99 of them!

I have the feeling the tax people don’t give a flying fig - unless 50K of undeclared interest pings up when HMRC sends the UK the bank returns to France. Well, it was the exchange rate I was told to use, honest gov! - Yes a very reputable online forum

Glad you got to 1.14 by the way! Just as revolut closed for the weekend
 :slight_smile:

Edit - I could have declared another 5 in the time this post took - is there an emoji for this
?

1.1407! Don’t knock it, that extra €7 is appreciated

1 Like

I only did a single transfer last year and used the exact ammount I received. Just calculated the rate I got, and it was 1.1588, so it was actually pretty close to the 1.158 quoted by DrMarkH. Don’t think the fisc will get too upset about this :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

For a few years I caused myself a bit of grief until I discovered that I could email the local tax office to get the exchange rate (and at the same time wanted to know if I had to include Paypal on the 3916. ) However because I found that for a couple of years the rate the tax office gave me was higher than what I’d actually received I decided to make a chart on the pc and so now on the day(s) the pensions arrive into the account I check the conversion rate (using currencyfair - I signed up to have the daily rate drop into my email box ) and then I enter the converted amount onto the chart. At the end of the year I’ve got the amount for each of us to enter on the tax form leaving one less thing to have to fiddle about with.

1 Like

Here’s the exact calculation I did -

BDF 3 Jan 22 0.8414
BDF 30 Dec 22 0.8869
Average

and the two screenshots of the bank rates

BDF Exchange rates (daily) - 03 Jan 2022 | Banque de France.pdf (430.4 KB)

BDF Exchange rates (daily) - 30 Dec 2022 | Banque de France.pdf (427.0 KB)

Poses me a bit of a problem does that, do I take it as the figure for the year or should I be honest, as they will know if they want to, and use the rate when I actually transferred on the 19th of January 2022 when I got 1.19? :thinking:

Out of interest, did you find that you have to include a Paypal account on the 3916 ?

I just found the answer 
 Aussi, si vous dĂ©tenez un compte Paypal qui ne sert qu’à rĂ©gler vos achats, ou encore via lequel vous avez encaissĂ© moins de 10 000€/ an, vous n’avez pas Ă  le dĂ©clarer.

I’m still working up the details for my first rental declaration under regime real, at least one forumite has mentioned the need for completing form 2044, having not done in the past but now being requested to do so by impot - however there is (as ever?) several views expressed on the forum.

In the thread

@aquitaine states ‘You do not need form 2044 for U.K. income.’

The Isabelle Want guide from last year has NOT to tick 2044 in the annexes page, to put the declarable Uk rental in 2027 box 4, AND Box 6. Perhaps confusing, the screenshots do show Annexe 2044 on the LHS!

Then 4BE and 4BK on the 2022. That shows as Micro Foncier (under 15K) so maybe that’s why her guide doesn’t mention 2044, because she’s not declaring ‘regime real’. Or maybe one just uses the equivalent ‘regime real’ boxes.

Someone asked Aquitaine if he was using regime real and he sent them a private message.

Any thoughts anyone?

In any case. I’m working my way through researching the 2044 form.

If anyone has filled in a 2044 for Uk rent, would they be willing to share which boxes they have filled in on it and the 2022?

Thanks.