Another Question about Tax Return - Sorry!

Hello!
We have a small house in the UK that is rented. This has always been declared on our tax returns. This year it appears you have to complete ‘form 2044’ & this is several pages long and will not let you complete the return till it is completed. Is this form new? We do not remember it from previous years?? Help would be appreciated!

Hi Beth… how/ where did you declare it before… ???

UK rental income should be declared on Form 2047, section 6.

Hi, We have always declared the rental income on our tax return but not sure which form it would have been. This form ‘2044’ we do not remember it from last year and it seems to ask for more information than before. There are four pages and it is asking for when we purchased it, the address, name of tenants etc. It’s not a problem as we have all the relevant details, it just seems they are asking a lot more info. just wondered if this is a new form or one they have extended it?? Just trying to make sure everything is on the right form!
regards Beth

As far as I can find on line-form 2044 is for income from French property only not UK. We rent out our property in the UK and declare it on our French forms as stated. I had to get my forms checked by the impot office last year (they gave me a refund! I thought I must have made a mistake so got my figures and where I’d put them checked ) The official who checked asked me about the rental income but didn’t ask about another forms other than the normal two.

You do not need form 2044 for U.K. income.

Hi Sue, Could you possibly give me the numbers of the ‘other two’ forms that you DID fill in please. Somehow it appears we have ‘triggered’ form 2044 to be completed!
regards
Beth

2047-which is the red one for income from foreign sources, and 2042- which is the blue one that everyone does.

1 Like

OK, we’ve looked at it again. Main form is 2042 and we have completed it in sections 4BL & 8TK. This is the same as last year. One of these sections seems to have triggered the request to complete 2044 which we now cannot get rid of unless it is filled in.
On 2044 there is two boxes to tick they say ‘France’ or ‘Abroad’ for other properties???

regards
Beth

If you go back to near the beginning of the online process there is a list where you tick the sort of income that you are declaring. That generates the forms that you need. If you have chosen the option that is relevant for U.K. rental income, it is expressed in terms of income not taxable in France but for which a credit will be given, you will then have the 2047 and 2042 (and probably the 3916) to complete. I think you might have selected the wrong option there and that that has generated the 2044 that’s you do not require.
Have you completed the 2047? You wouldn’t normally put U.K. income directly onto the 2042.

Hi All,

We have now managed to get rid of the page that was asking for more info and it all seems to make more sense now!

Many thank to all you geniuses, very grateful!
regards
Beth

Many thanks David, I think we got a bit confused but with all the helpful replies we seem to have sorted it (fingers crossed!).

Thanks for your help,

regards Beth

Hi Stella, It’s always been done on the 2047 but I think we just got confused with UK rental income & French rental income (which we don’t have). This seems to have triggered another form which we had never seen before!

Anyway I think we’ve sorted it now with all the help we’ve had.

Many thanks!

regards

Beth

1 Like

Even if you declare fonciere/reel route?

I’ve sent you a PM.