4th July American Independence Day

For our American friends

Our American neighbours have arrived for their annual holiday and have invited us all to help them celebrate today - yippee- apple pie and all the trimmings

1 Like

Today’s apple pie will be good quality, too. It’s their Grandma’s secret recipe and I’m looking forward to at least two helpings. :upside_down_face::relaxed:

1 Like

I still can’t find any good apples to cook with here.

I cook with the apples I get given. Green, red, mixture
 all taste just fine.

I’ll ask them which variety they have bought for today 
:relaxed:

1 Like

I agree.

SupermarchĂ© Granny Smith’s are always a disappointment, look the ‘perfect’ part but almost tasteless. What local variants carry the same or equivalent flavour and bite?

Shall try some local markets later in the season, this is cidre/calva country!

Apple pie was delicious (as usual).

6 x Golden Delicious plus 1 Braeburn (to make up the weight) :hugs:

1 Like

Oh dear, Stella, I am sure your pie was super-duper delish, but I find Golden Delicious totally sans goĂ»t (though they are my wife’s pomme prĂ©fĂ©rĂ©e), Jack Spratt and all that
:hugs::grinning:

Maybe my taste-buds need resurfacing :slightly_frowning_face:

Peter, when cooking with Golden Delicious (or any apple) - if you add just a tad of lemon juice (not too much) it can lift the flavour dramatically.

OH prefers Grannie Smith to eat raw and takes him time choosing the ones at just the correct ripeness for his palette.

He’ll enjoy any variety of apples cooked - hot or cold. Sometimes I leave them to their natural flavour, sometimes I add cinnamon, honey, lemon, ginger or whatever comes to mind. :hugs:

Stir in a spoonful of christmas mincemeat into the chopped/sliced apple and let the pot simmer gently - ab fab

1 Like

Try Chantecler, they are very good.

On the subject of Christmas mince, I found two jars recently dated July 17!
Will it still be edible?

Great tips, Stella!:heart:

IMO if it is a professional product and has been kept in the cool and the dark - I would certainly use it.

Mind you - when you open the jar - check it out (sight and sniff) and if any hesitation, chuck it.

1 Like

Thanks @vero will look out for them♄

I think this is sound advice as botulinus toxin is more likely to develop in home-conserved foods than commercial ones.

It’s worth bearing in mind that botulus does not alter the smell of contaminated food so neither smell nor taste is a reliable indicator of safety

1 Like

If I open a jar/can of something passed its SBDate - having checked sight and smell - I thoroughly cook it and use it up swiftly (ie don’t put half back in the fridge to cook later)

BUT I am very careful just what I will tackle. No deaths so far.

Golden rule - if in doubt, chuck it out.

1 Like

The problem if any will be the suet. Suet can go rancid and is probably not good for you.

1 Like

I have never found the suet rancid in elderly mincemeat - but it is possible - though more likely “after” it has been opened than before, I would have thought.

1 Like

The jars (Hartleys) were tucked away in a dark cool space, but I will check the contents before using.
Would that apply to vegetarian mince?