A little mid-week humour to lighten the mood

Likewise Tracy Emin.

I like the cubist stuff, even though I don’t understand it. And the amount of information he could gey into sketches - like the ones for Don Quixote - is amazing.

I suppose it’s like Kid A after OK Computer. An artist wants to use his/her skills and repeating things feels like it’s a waste. That’s why musical artists who develop can find their audience diminishing.

1 Like

I used to see that as the artist having lost their spark and inspiration or simply having got old and a bit dull. Later I recognised it as development, but wondered why some could take their audience with them while others appeared to abandon their fan-base.

Same could be said of Miles Davis who was the Picasso of jazz. Never satisfied and always experimenting. Not always to this fan’s satisfaction.

4 Likes

In rock music I feel that the band needs to be hungry, and angry, and aggressive. Give them success and a pile of cash and you get (often but not always) something else.

Becoming successful stops the driving energy of some artists, maybe?
But some are angry for the injustices done to others, not just themselves?

2 Likes

I think it is exactly that coupled with being told by an ‘art critic’ that this or that is a fantastic piece thus influencing the value that something might sell at auction for the buyer to say they have such and such hung on their wall.
Farhad Ostovani Google Search
I got to know this chap well when renovating his house in the Dordogne and he would talk at length about named people who bought his work. Someone with influence had at some piont marvelled at his work and that was that.
To me it was rubbish and definitely a case of the kings new clothes but each to their own.
The house I renovated was a former beautiful mellow stone outbuilding of a former large complex of buildings linked to a small chateau. High beamed ceilings, wonderful oak staircase and oodles of character both insde and out. The exterior was broadly left untouched so kept its character. The inside also kept its features but, and a big but, when it came to kitting decorating the interior, everything was done in white, walls, ceilings, beams, staircase, bathrooms, windows etc etc literally everything.
I have a glass vase he gave me as a present which is nice to look at. Perhaps its worth something or, is it a case of beauty in the eye of the beholder.
As in the 10cc song its Art for Arts sake.

2 Likes

Art isn’t what most of us think it is. I suspect Dr.Mark has had enough of trying to explain.

1 Like

Remember to keep this thread for humour, not discussion.

In the spirit of which …

8 Likes

5 Likes

100 years ago “traditional” artists were saying the same thing about the Impressionists.

Well I guess some were moaning about that big white monstrocity disfiguring the water meadows in Salisbury.

Most butchers, bakers, electricians, carpenters and other tradesmen think Art is anal :laughing:

1 Like

Yesterday I noticed that shoals of pigeons were flying over a field at 15 minute intervals. This morning a couple of mates and I went to the field and shot as many as we could until we ran out of cartridges, bloody good sport. All the pigeons had rings on. Seems like the these ecological surveys are now tracking pigeons. :rofl: funnily there wasn’t a wood pigeon among them.

1 Like

They weren’t racing pigeons were they?

Not in shoals. :wink:

This IS a joke.

2 Likes

They weren’t hanging about :joy:

1 Like

If this is meant to be funny, I don’t see it. Maybe I’m missing something.

2 Likes

9 Likes

Which partly shows how messed up the 1980s were.

2 Likes

7 Likes