A long shot, but could I reclaim my French TV licence cost?

And speaking of food, let's all remember dinner party etiquette before the thread goes off on a tangent...

Hi Cyndy, mine was €133.

No, you give it a break ! I'm not exactly skint & eat out at times but don't feel it necessary to compare 133 euros for a couple meals with some peoples dilemma over whether to feed their family for a week or watch tele.

Can anyone tell me what the French TV licence fee is, annually, please? I’m dithering over whether to bother getting a TV or not at the moment.

haha, it's WORSE than absolute garbage... when I first came to France, I used the programme to learn French...... because it was so drawn out and everything was repeated before and after every ad-break. That, and children's books... but I'll admit that the children's book were more entertaining.

I've went over to the dark side, for the first time of my life... I am not going to create an account to reply, because "foxy" seems like nothing more than an articulate troll.

Foxy, I know you're in here somewhere. I am not "trying to get out of"..... I AM getting out of...

it's not that I "hardly watch"... it's that I don't, and probably, if I plugged my set into an ariel, CAN'T watch.

I would also like to know if you're another one of these a la carte rules people.... you know... gives out about people flouting the rules, while you, yourself drive around for ten years in a UK registered vehicle, pick up retirement in both countries, and moan about certain allowances being chopped... allowances you may have never been entitled to in the first place.

I work, I pay my taxes, I do my day to day business by the French book. I am not trying to pull a fast one on anyone, but if you're so upfront and honest... why go b1tching about us to another forum... another website.... you are cordially invited to dinner.

I didn't raise the issue, I merely added my two cents. I haven't paid up in 5 years, and don't see why I should suddenly start paying now just because some total stranger told somebody to tell me to.
I am not "in a position"..... I have simply argued that I am not paying for their broadcasts, because I do not receive them... that seemed to suffice for the gentleman that called to my door, and it seems to suffice for the people collecting the tax.

As for "shutting up" when it comes to cock and bull bureaucracy, no. They don't call us the "fighting Irish" for nothing.

I know that I loaned it to someone once to watch a match (a staff member of a hotel, lodging in the hotel where she had no television set in her room).... she couldn't watch anything using the normal ariel cable, but once she got her hands on a TNT box, it worked for her, although she said it was a little fuzzy.

The set is old enough to weigh as much, if not more, than my washing machine.

Give it a break Vic. Don’t come the old soldier. I have many French friends that don’t have too much cash and struggle to get by but they still enjoy a good meal out every now and then. The French don’t consider eating out a luxury. I would have thought you’d know that.

*koff* Welsh Rarebit here :)

Shhh Ian, just had beans on toast.....

This is a Dinner Party. That crowd are just hunched up in the Flunch doon the road :)

Maybe he isn't really in Normandy ?

My late wife worked at the local Resto de Coeur for many years and was at times responsable for vetting and sorting those eligible for assistance. The criteria were and still are, very strict. No one qualifying for assistance would be liable to pay the tv licence probably cos' most of them lived in rented accommodation much of which would have been sheltered accommodation. Many of the people in the queues were cheating the system Vic. The most common tricks were overdeclaring the number of children, false papers and signing up to every Resto centre in the area. When you are desperate you tend to go to any lenghts to feed your family...

Saying that, I can't ever imagine wasting 133€ of my hard-earned dosh on a meal for two though I don't begrudge anyone spending their euros how they wish.

I think that AI is getting so short of contributors that one registration wherever you are now lets you into any AI France site. It also seems to be the case that being locked out of one site locks you out of all.

Maybe. You made your point about the law & then ruined it by flaunting your wealth in the faces of those less fortunate.

Seems to have backfired on Foxy.

The battle of the fora!

Wouldn’t they be exempt due to income, or rather lack of?

I'm rather with you on that Vic. I was horrified when I saw that I think it was €133 had been added for audio visuel (I don't have French TV but we do have a telly). My bank balance had already been drained at that point from the raft of other taxes and the thought of losing more than a week's food money literally made me feel ill. We spent 2 weeks living on basics like pasta and rice until I received a small payment from a client.

Just read it. Can we have a competition to guess who ' Humptydingo' is ? :-)