A long shot, but could I reclaim my French TV licence cost?

Try telling that to the folk who have to queue at the food bank in our village. 'The price of a decent meal for two' to you is probably one or more weeks groceries to them !

I suppose it was an aside to Foxie a contributor to the discussions on Dordogne Anglo Info who made some rather dumb reference to this site and this discussion. Foxy doesn't seem to be able to read a whole discussion but that's not uncommon when it comes to Anglo Info users. I couldn't reply directly to Foxie because I've been locked out. But I assumed Foxie was probably still lurking behind the Arras and thus might overhear.

See http://dordogne.angloinfo.com/forum/viewtopic/50487/0/misinformatio...

Well said that man.

Don't really get any of this, please elucidate. I'm assuming AI is Anglo Info ? Can you give a direct link to help find it ?

Tell Zoe, who raised the issue, that she should just shut up & pay up. I'm just interested in exploring the possibilities for her or anyone in a similar position. In the process, I've discovered what is, to me, the curious anomaly that a TV receiver in a PC is not subject to the TV licence over here.

Peter, The law is simple, if you have a TV receiver (in a TV, a VCR, a DVD player, a PC, Etc,etc,) pay the tax. I can’t believe the depths of this debate over less than the price of a decent meal for two.

What are you on about David?

David, - No problem with the concept that. strictly, the mere ownership of a device capable of receiving TV transmissions/programmes makes the owner of such a device liable to the tax/rédevance.

The interesting legal point is whether the ownership of a device which calls itself a TV but is no longer technologically capable of receiving any current TV transmissions is sufficient for the authorities to demand payment. Should that issue come to me for a decision, the answer would be a decisive Non, as the device can't receive programmes transmitted currently.

It looks like Foxie in Dordogne demonstrates the general inability of AI discussion participants to be able to read more than one sentence at a time. Hence Foxie's observation on AI Dordogne of this discussion. I know you're lurking Foxie so let's explain. We don't do "selfies" with all the self regarding baggage that implies. We do pictures of ourselves instead of nonsensical "handles" or "user names" which always remind me of CB using truckers dead from the neck up either ex utero or from an excess of Jack D. By using pictures we are able to conduct a civilised/civilized conversation. Further for your information the test for a TV licence in both the UK and France is the possessionof equipment CAPABLE of receiving TV transmissions what you use the equipment for is immaterial. See Anglo Info Dordogne "Misinformation on other Forums"

Yep, it's the french copy of Come Dine With Me - absolute garbage but the fashion version is even worse !

'Un Dîner Presque Parfait' sounds a lot like 'Come Dine with Me'. I've only ever seen that in Dubai, with my daughter, who thinks that it's the Bees' Knees. Personally speaking, you'd need to pay me quite a lot of dosh per episode, but each to their own, I suppose.

Sounds like me, about 90% of the time!

If it's black & white & you have to bash it to stop it revolving that's proof positive it's an old un & won't receive modern stuff :-)

In that case i'm flogging a dead horse...

I prefer the government site: http://vosdroits.service-public.fr/particuliers/F88.xhtml which makes clear that the DVD player, VCR or whatever, must be equipped with a TV tuner to be taxable:

Matériels concernés

Les matériels pouvant donner lieu au paiement de la contribution à l'audiovisuel public sont les suivants :

• les appareils clairement identifiables comme des téléviseurs,

• et les dispositifs assimilés, c'est à dire les matériels ou dispositifs associant plusieurs matériels connectés entre eux ou sans fil et permettant la réception de signaux, d'images ou de sons, par voie électromagnétique.

Ainsi, les magnétoscopes, lecteurs ou lecteurs-enregistreurs de DVD, vidéoprojecteurs, lorsqu'ils sont équipés d'un tuner et associés à un écran ou tout autre support de vision sont assimilés à un téléviseur.

Par contre, les micro-ordinateurs munis d'une carte télévision permettant la réception de la télévision ne sont pas taxables.

(My italics/ bolding)

My argument concerning Zoe's old TV is that it might not be a dispositif which allows la réception de signaux, d'images ou de sons, par voie électromagnétique, and would not be, therefore, a TV within the meaning of the law.

I'm assuming Corrie Eastenders & Emmerdale (v amusing name ;-) ) are UK tv - alas I don't know them since even when I lived in GB all I watched was the rugby & the swingometer. I don't think I miss much by not watching tv though yes occasionally I'm sure there are v good things to be seen. I'm just not a very visual person I suppose.

Zoe - Just how old is this telly? If it's quite as old as I think, and couldn't, as it stands, receive any programmes currently transmitted from France or Switzerland, I think that you could, in all honesty, claim not to have a 'TV' that's liable to the rédevance. Do you know the make & model number of the TV? This would help prove that it doesn't have the ability to receive current channels and therefore isn't taxable. The details are often on a little plate on the back.

Véro, Plus Belle La Vie is soap opera somewhere between Corrie, Eastenders & Emmerdale - it's purgatory really but very popular all the same. It's shown weekdays on France 3 at about 2015 so make sure you avoid it !!!

Un Dîner Presque Parfait is the same as the UK equivalent where a group of four people are put together and they all cook for each other - another one to miss...There is also another programme using the same basis but concerning 'fashion' where a group of four ladies get kitted out and award points. It's crap tho' the best bit is listening to the bitchiness. Just avoid it and save yourself the pain...

I have no idea what you're on about with reference to "le plus belle" (la, anyway) or "un diner presque parfait". I don't watch television except for Rugby matches (6 nations & world cup) and election results.

The fact that your tv is connected ONLY to a dvd player still renders you liable.

I'm just telling you what the law says. No big deal when they do catch up with you, the fine is only €150 and I'm not sure they backdate it.

No, Peter, it's only input is the DVD player, and the playstation. We have an old VCR, but we have no videos.... maybe somewhere in the back of my head it will be something to "show the grandkids", or perhaps will somehow become valuable.... but nobody's collecting cassette walkmans, and minitels