A reward for patriotic Brexiteers

https://www.londonmintoffice.org/ve-day-free

Could it be true? A free VE day coin for all true believers.

It’s a Half Crown, worth two shillings and six pence, or 25 pence in new money.
Sadly, this is no longer legal tender and so valueless.
Is there a message for us there?

1 Like

Only £2.50 for postage too…

I fail to see any connection between the VE coin and Brexit, perhaps you could enlighten me?

2 Likes

That’s only 10 times it’s face value.
What are you, some kind of Remoaner? :laughing: :laughing:

No someone who can see when they are being had!

2 Likes

It might seem like an appeal to patriotism, seeing that VE day was about the liberation of Europe.
Shoud it have been a commerative Euro coin?
Is it a coincidence that this “gift” is offered just as the UK is about to “liberate” itself from Europe?
Discuss. . . .

1 Like

It is probably more likely to be to do with the 75 anniversary of VE Day

It will be, coins here celebrating 75yrs of peace being issued on the 8th of September 2020.
https://www.monnaiedeparis.fr/fr/boutique/programme-2020

Grandes dates de l’Histoire de l’Humanité - 8 septembre

Monnaies de collection “75 ans de la victoire de la Paix”

Pound sterling is the official currency of the UK (and others), therefore a coin produced by the Royal Mint would never be issued in Euros.
Additionally the UK is still (and will remain) part of Europe.

3 Likes

The message is that this is something trying to pull wool over your eyes and pretending to be more official than it is! The London Mint Office have b-all to do with the Royal Mint. They are a commercial operator that tries to get people to buy their valueless tat…

7 Likes

Is this the “coin” that is only legal tender in the Channel Islands? I seem to remember seeing something about it somewhere :thinking:
Valueless tat as @JaneJones says.

But I will lose my European citizenship.

2 Likes

but not the European Union - just an insignificant island off the coast of Europe
[source: Emanuel Macron - just prior to becoming President of France (on the Andrew Marr Show IIRC)}

3 Likes

Lol - no connection to brexit but you somehow try to create one :slight_smile:
Keep calm and carry on …

2 Likes

Note it is not the Royal Mint. It is a two-bit company calling itself London Mint, who have a wearisome record of flogging rubbish like this, the coin is issued by Gibraltar (theoretically), it’s cupro-nickel and it’s worth the square root of f**k-all. Another rip-off to amuse the gullible.

2 Likes

Two bits is commonly understood in America to be one quarter. The word “bit” long meant, in England, any coin of a low denomination. In early America, “bit” was used for some Spanish and Mexican coins that circulated and were worth one-eighth of a peso, or about 12 and one-half cents. Hence, two bits would have equaled about 25 cents.
Very appropriate!

1 Like

Excellent! Good to see someone’s alert and erudite on a drowsy summer evening.:blush:

2 Likes

Thanks for the information - agreed that the coin that Mike referenced is a rip-off.

A link to the Royal Mint coin is here >> VE Day | The Royal Mint

Has Macron changed his mind?
Feb 1, 2020 extract from letter from Macron to the British people:
And since 1973, while our European relationships may at times have been turbulent, the UK has been a central player in the European project – particularly in building the single market –, a more influential player than the British have often themselves imagined.”

2 Likes

No, I don’t think he changed his mind, just pointing what the UK was giving up. . . .

3 Likes