A reward for patriotic Brexiteers

I believe there were references to VE day as “Victory Over Europe” day.

1 Like

One of the most shameful aspects of the Leave campaign was that the EU we had helped to create was demonised as an enemy.

2 Likes

For crying out loud. Can we please separate the Brexit argument from VE day and a second rate fraudulent « Mint copy » !!!
We must respect those that died in the wars on all sides, and those that suffered and their children who still do!
And for the Brexiteers who want to celebrate it …please do it away from the rest of us who want to get on with our lives.
The primary original purpose of the EU was to prevent all wars. We dont want to stoke another one!

3 Likes

Jon,
Unless your photo is very old, I am guessing you weren’t around in 1945 when the cry went up “We won the War!” a distortion of the truth that persists to this day in a jingoistic attitude that allows Brits to feel that they are special and somehow better than other races. It is only necessary to look at the numbers to know that the sacrifice of the people of the UK came nowhere near to that of other countries.
I don’t like any celebration of victory. I would prefer a celebration of peace that would include our friends in Germany.
A British VE day coin just adds to isolationist attitudes.

On that I fully agree with you 100%
And yes my photo is old! I need to put a newer one as am 61 now not 45! Vanity!

Mine was from when I was a mere 70.
Maybe I should change it because I haven’t shaved since the beginning of shutdown, but I worry that it might upset some of our more nervous members! :scream::scream::scream:

I haven’t shaved in over 40 years!

2 Likes

Went to the hairdresser yesterday. He was shocked! Had beard trimmed and short back and sides. Luckily their skip at the back was empty!

2 Likes

Shouldn’t that be 12 1/2 new pence

3 Likes

Tanners, Bob’s, Florins and farthings.
Now that was real money.
A ten bob note gave a good night out, with change!

2 Likes

We used to have silver threeepenny bits in our mashed potatoes on bonfire Night.
The lovely wren on the back of the farthings.

still got a few… we used to give one as “fairy money” to our daughter when she lost a tooth…

Seeing the expression on her face … on finding this magical gift under her pillow… happy memories … :hugs: :hugs: :hugs:

We used to put Curly Wurlies in the hollow of a tree trunk when we went out for walks.

1 Like

Quite right. One eighth of one pound sterling.

Half a crown was 30 pence. A quid was 240 pence. Or 480 ha’pennies, the coins with the 3-masted sailing ships on the obverse side.

Does anyone remember the silver Joey? Those were the ones that went into the Christmas pudding, one Joey per pudding. Their nominal value was thruppence.

And if you bought two paper twists of lemon sherbert at tuppence-ha’penny a twist* at the school tuckshop, using your tanner (for two day’s) dinner money, how many penny buns could you buy with the change?

The answer will probably die with me and half a dozen or so other dinosaurs.

• with free liquorice stick thrown in

Peter I have just mentioned that we used to have them in our mashed potato on bonfire Night.

1 Like

I beg your pardon @Jane_Williamson :face_with_hand_over_mouth:. I acknowledge your prior reference to the silver Joey. I think it’s presence in the potato distracted my attention by its novelty :yum:

We had to eat drop scones smothered in treacle with our hands behind our backs as well!

In Scotland we had buns covered in treacle on strings which had to eaten with no hands, ducking for apples etc.

Jumpers for goalposts ?
Rush goalie ?

I’m playing skins!