A reward for patriotic Brexiteers

I understand that the UK has now negotiated a trade deal with Japan that replicates Japan’s trade deal with the EU. But in addition, the wily Brit trade negotiators have persuaded their naive Japanese counterparts to reduce the import duty on blue Stilton (which of course is consumed in great quantities in Japan)

It’s now four years since the Brexit vote and this is the first tangible advantage from having left the EU that I’ve noticed. But presumably this makes it all worthwhile!

Blessed are the cheesemakers🤣
https://youtu.be/-xLUEMj6cwA

2 Likes

Well, the cheesemakers have been very important members of society.

The (only) things I miss from the UK are farmhouse Lancashire or Derby, and the occasional pint of pale yellow, hoppy bitter. Love French cheeses, but the article below is a reminder of what the Old Country can do well.

newyorker.com/culture/annals-of-gastronomy/how-a-cheese-goes-extinct?campaign_id=58&emc=edit_ck_20200817&instance_id=21293&nl=cooking&regi_id=82530051&segment_id=36299&te=1&user_id=fb6668f3459a050a0f520accac2549b1

This was a Scottish lady who did all these things for us.
We had dropping forks into apples in a barrel of water and apples on strings too.

1 Like

We had wonderful Lancashire cheese on Lancaster Market, creamy Lancashire being my favourite and oat cakes hung on wooden poles.
You could get fresh fish from Fleetwood and shrimps from Morecambe Bay.
There was a Polish deli at the entrance to the market too!

1 Like

Goodness gracious!

If it isn’t a lump-in-the-throat tear-in-the - eye paeon for Old Blighty!

And very nice too. Thank you Jane!

1 Like

Yes, yum! I’ve found that a local fromager sells blue Cheshire alongside their French cheeses so we can enjoy it from time to time.

1 Like

The Blue Cheshire is a new cheese and award winning too.

1 Like

I’m sure it was around - ie. available in Fenwick’s in Newcastle (upon Tyne, not under Lyme) in the early Nineties, but happy to be corrected

I saw a programme on the BBC and it had gone out of production.
I understand that this is a new reincarnation.