A store cupboard cake - Westmorland Pepper Cake

75g butter, 75g raisins, 75g currants, 110g caster sugar, 225g self raising flour, 1/2 tsp ground ginger, 1/4 to 1/2 tsp ground cloves, 1/2 tsp ground black pepper, 4tbsp milk, 1 egg beaten

1. Preheat your oven to 180 C and grease and line a 7" round cake tin.
  2. Put the butter, fruit, sugar and 150ml water and bring to the boil. Simmer for 10 minutes and then leave to cool for 10 minutes.
  3. In a large bowl mix the flour, spices and pepper. Gently stir in the fruit mixture, milk and egg. Mix thoroughly, without beating.
  4. Pour the mixture into the prepared tin and bake in the oven for about 45 minutes, until firm and golden brown. Turn out and leave to cool on a wire rack.
    You can change the spices to suit, but the pepper is the vital part of this cake.
15 Likes

sounds lovely… I might give it a try.

We are down to 3 eggs and I want to use each one of them wisely… this cake should be ideal.

1 Like

We are inundated with eggs, our old hens have been rejuvenated by the newcomers!

5 Likes

Several neighbours do have chickens and I often get offered eggs but refused them last weekend since we had/have enough… I am hoping the offer will be made again this weekend… but if not …we will survive… :relaxed:

@Jane_Williamson how well/how long does this cake keep…?? :thinking:

About 10 minutes in my house :laughing:

3 Likes

Ha ha… needs to last a good few days during lockdown… as ingredients vanish like snow in a heatwave…

In a tin with two of us having a small slice, four days.

2 Likes

cheers Jane… that helps me figure things out.

I’ll definitely have a go and let you know how it turns out… :hugs:

1 Like

It is so easy to make and Jim loves it.

2 Likes

We sold some hens just before the shutdown, just 5 a day now which is perfect. Recipe sounds great. I have loads of dried fruit but do t want to use too much butter so it’s perfect! Thanks for posting

2 Likes

Sounds great, rather like a Black Bun but without the pastry crust.

If we had the spare flour would give it a go. Butter is also short but we can make that from creme fraiche.

It is not at all like black Bun, which I used to make every Hogmanay when we lived in UK.
It has much less fruit and more flour and no whisky!

1 Like

Guess that’s a matter of which part of Scotland you come from :¬)

1 Like

@Jane_Williamson
The WPC is in the oven as I write, didn’t have currants so I used cranberries, put in the spices then noticed a jar of mélange 4 épices so as there was only about a teaspoon in it tops I put that in as well, wasn’t sure if the flour was SR as a daughter put it in a jar without identifying it, so I added a teaspoon of baking powder.
A 7 inch cake tin is about 20 cm isn’t it?

Anyway it is baking now and I’ll be able to tell you in an hour or so when it has come out and cooled down if I have succeeded :grin:

1 Like

@Jane_Williamson
Just out of the oven - does it look right to you?

1 Like

Perfect. Let me know how it tastes.

1 Like

Is farine de gateaux SR flour?

Looks good enough to eat :yum:

1 Like

Yes it is.

1 Like