A tender topic

He is entitled to his opinion Barbara… just as we all are… :relaxed: he’s not dictating to anyone…

2 Likes

Should it be about the weather and how many apples you picked from your tree.
What you put on the Christmas tree.
Is that what stimulates the mind?
Yes Stella of course he is entitled to his opinion.
When it is applicable.

:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::thinking::grin::laughing:

Oh Barbara… priceless… “when it is applicable”… :laughing::laughing::laughing:

2 Likes

You do a great job Stella keeping the peace;

I began the thread and which began about people and their thoughts about drinking alcohol.
This in itself is an emotional subject and brings with it some interesting answers;.
It then moved on to my drinking habits which seemed to have disappointed some of the members.

Barbara has just illustrated perfectly why people ‘have a pop’ at her as that last sentence is patronising beyond belief. If she also wishes people would put more emotion into their posts then she must be prepared for what follows rather than complain about being picked on or bullied.

A habit is defined as something that is done on a regular basis, consuming 6 units a year is not a habit ergo Barbara doesn’t have one.:grinning:

Thread closed.

1 Like

There is no excuse for bullying Tim.
Not sure why you behave like this but you do.

FFS, WTF (oops sorry wrong thread). Barbara, just try and think before you write please.

Tim you are being childish.
I am in Charente today visiting friends so you can talk away to yourself.

Counting the hours until you’re back Babs.:wink:

No Stella l disagree - Surely Tim is emphasizing the word YOU meaning just Barbara as he is pointing out that her emotions get the better of her in these rather pointless discussions. That is how l understand it and as so often happens with Tim v Barbara debates it becomes about their synergy, not the actual subject of the thread.:restroom:

1 Like

Nope… that is not how it is used around here… and if you Google you will find all sorts of stuff…

"the royal you’“would mean rather than the singular ‘you,’ the plural ‘you,’ the group you. The term ‘the exclusive you,’ on the other hand, does appear in usage guides and is defined as a group ‘you’ that applies to a particular audience eg Doctors.”

2 Likes

Read most of the posts on SF but I am finding that the Barbara and Tim soap opera is taking over and not discussing the actual subject of the post.
Would you guys be better talking to each other in the Lounge or are you both looking to score brownie points in front of an audience.

2 Likes

Stella perhaps you need to Google the word ‘irony’ - Just as an example - the phrase the ‘royal we’ alludes to the individual such as the monarch alone. But when you use the term ‘royal you’ as Tim did in this case it becomes ironic. Hope that helps.:relaxed:

Google is very informative… I Googled “the royal you” and found the “response” which I posted…

http://www.wordwizard.com/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?t=6811

of course there often a multitude of ways and meanings to almost everything… this was the first I found… and it seemed to fit the situation… :relaxed:

1 Like

For what it is worth I 100% agree with Timothy Cole and Stella Wood that the ‘royal you’ simply plurifies the word as it also does with the ‘royal we’. Not sure where irony comes into it and I shall no doubt be told to ‘butt out’ but IMHO both Glenn and Tim are entirely correct and the rest is just rather stupid and probably should not be tolerated.

2 Likes

Well Mr T it referred to your own tendency to prolong conversations beyond their useful end.

1 Like

Too often people just wont let it go, like a pair of jack russells tugging on each end of a bone.

Let it Go video link

Vic and Bob Wouldn’t Let it Lie video link

Life is just too short

Barbara - he is NOT bullying you.
Please move on and stop endlessly trying to portray yourself as a victim.
Most site members are now aware that you sometimes have trouble expressing yourself via the written word and make allowances.
That is it. Full stop.

9 Likes

Dan, it was meant exactly as Stella has said, I did try to make that as clear as possible.

David, if that’s what you meant then okay point taken. Was it really necessary to use my surname only rather than my user name or did your emotions just take over?:wink: