Age is only a number - (or is it?) Ongoing

For quite some time now we’ve noticed more and more stuff being marked “sans huile de palme”… which is obviously being marketed as an advantage…

Yes both from an ecological perspective and a health one. Same with messed about with margarine and vegetable oils like sunflower and rapeseed, pushed as healthy because they are polyunsaturated oils but in the process of manufacturing they again are high in omega 6, linoleic acid, this is inflamatory and when scientists need to test on mice and rats they feed them linoleic acid to give them cancer.

Something to think about.

1 Like

I like butter and I’ve just checked the packet… it’s made from milk, from cows living the high-life in sunny France… so hopefully that’s ok… it is supposedly a local product…

3 Likes

Even better is raw butter I believe.

do I have to milk the cow then go a-churning… :rofl:

Do you want to participate in destruction of rain forests? This is more because of where palm oil comes from than health issues. It is everywhere - soaps, moisturisers etc etc. Avoiding it requires close attention to the small print on back of boxes.

1 Like

Strange question in my opinion … and I’m wondering if you’ve misunderstood.

Are you saying that products marked “sans huile de palme” are NOT more attractive to the Buyer… ???

I don’t want to separate the two Jane, some people don’t care about the rainforest being cut down and the environment so maybe they would care about their health as 1 in 2 people now get cancer where the cancer threat was much lower only a few years ago.
They say life is a lottery well show me a lottery with a 50% odds and I’ll buy a ticket.

You were relating this food banner as if it appealed because of health benefits. Sure palm oil is high in saturated fats, but not as high as other things like coconut oil. And some of the products that have removed the palm oil have replaced it with…….coconut oil!

So the “Sans huile de palme” banner is there to appeal to the people who are interested in the impact their food has on the environment., rather than those who are looking for health benefits.

Definitely getting wires crossed.

Palm oil has long been a contraversial subject and I am thrilled when I can buy something “sans”… and more and more products are being clearly labelled which is a great help.

1 Like

I love butter too (although I eat very little now as trying to lose weight) but there are horrors in the dairy industry too. I try not to think about it when I’m putting milk in my PG Tips.
I’m so conflicted about animal products because I enjoy meat, eggs, dairy etc and can’t imagine giving them up. I just try to consume as ethically as possible and reduce the quantity.
With palm oil, the only way to really avoid it in the UK is to avoid any processed food. It’s nigh on impossible to buy biscuits, crackers, chocolate bars, cereal bars, snacks of any kind, ready meals etc etc without it. Makes me so angry.
Anyway, not sure why I put this all in a response to your harmless post about butter :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:
Have a lovely day Stella.
Izzy x

3 Likes

It was visiting our neighbour’s who are dairy farmers that turned daughter vegan! She hadn’t realised what you have to do to keep cows in milk (despite having her own children!). And his is quite a good farm. I justify my love of dairy products by thinking of local employment :confused:

1 Like

No one hears the plant scream as it torn from the ground and chopped up.
Just saying.

2 Likes

:joy::rofl: particularly plants called Audrey…

3 Likes
2 Likes

If all the animals and plants are screaming, everything is bad and going to give us cancer or kill us in some way, what the hell do you manage to eat.
Just saying :wink::yum:

Not AUDREY !!! :flushed::flushed::flushed::open_mouth::grin:

Because not everthing we eat is bad, you just put down a massive generalisation.
Eating means upsetting something, be it a vegetable or animal.
For a good generalisation, unlike yours, mass produced industrial food by the big corporations using the cheapest ingredients to increase their bottom line and probably yours :joy:

Not no one. This bloke specifically listened to tomatoes, giving them the exact same treatment Tom Cruise and John Travolta pay thousands per hour for :rofl:

1 Like

According to my OH there is nothing wrong with my bottom line :wink::laughing:

1 Like