Age is only a number - (or is it?) Ongoing

Did anybody object to your posting in that thread Porridge?
Remember Voltaire (reputedly) not only defended freedom of speech, but also his right to disagree.
If we can’t expose poor arguments, insufficient evidence, etc, what is the point of discussing abortion, or anything else?
Good information is particularly important on this site, because others may rely on it in their own decisions. about living in France.

(Voltaire was also spectacularly illiberal in other ways, so maybe a bit of turning in his grave won’t do him any harm!)

1 Like

Did Voltaire live to a great age??? and/or was he “good for his age” (whatever that was)

just wondering… :wink:

I’m absolutely for exposing poor arguments.

As for evidence … I can think of 3 sorts of proof : mathematical, scientific and legal, each of which might depend on evidence of very different types.

The discussions we have about topics like abortion, euthanasia, how we should treat migrants, the poor, … what sort of evidence, and what sort of proof (I don’t think I’ve necessarily listed all the types of proof) should we consider to reach those sorts of judgments ? It’s not a trick question, but I suspect your answer, John S’s and Vero’s are not going to be vastly different to mine … but always eager to hear a different voice

(It’s Sunday, so what else would we do than discuss philosophy ? :smiley: )

Presumably you know the old mathematicians’ joke…

A mathematician, a physicist, and a social scientist are on their way to Scotland. They cross the border and see a black sheep in a field.
‘Look,’ says the social scientist ‘Scottish sheep are black!’
The physicist responds, ‘No, no! Some Scottish sheep are black!’
The mathematician shakes his head in disbelief: ‘No, Gentlemen - in Scotland there is at least one field, containing at least one sheep, at least one side of which is black.’

3 Likes

@billybutcher
:roll_eyes: I hadn’t even realised I had the two accounts which must have been a result of my confusion when I first joined thinking one account hadn’t gone through. I just leave my A/c logged in so it’s just gone to either. I had never noticed!
If the two A/c’s can be merged please do so and I’ll use Moray.

1 Like

At least you were not arguing with yourself with different posts :joy:

1 Like

I recently read of someone who had multiple personalities, each of which was associated with a different set of skills.

Sorry, even more of a tangent.

You are never alone with schizophrenia.

1 Like

Boom, tish!

It’s based on a misunderstanding of schizophrenia though (literally divided or split mind), schizophrenics do not typically have multiple personalities but disordered thought processes.

1 Like

Sadly, with the excessive heat, I reckon many folk are suffering this symptom… (including me ) :wink: :wink:

3 Likes

Today a young friend is 41 years old…
When he was just 7, he went on his first cub-camp and nearly caught hypothermia when his tent got flooded…
I was a volunteer… and it fell to me to take this drowned bundle to his home.
First time I’d met his parents who (thankfully) didn’t hold me to blame for the sudden storms etc etc.
While the little lad soaked in a hot bath, we grownups enjoyed a good hot cuppa and homemade cake and we’ve all remained great friends ever since.

So how come, I haven’t got any older… whereas the little lad definitely has… :wink: :rofl:

5 Likes

This made me laugh - it’s from an article on ‘empty nest syndrome’ - but very relevant I think to ageing in general…

Who will we become?

Current indications suggest I’ll become a sexless shut-in hobbit, shouting into hedges about biodiversity, pockets full of worms for an expanding menagerie of rescued birds. Bafflingly, my husband recently bid on a pottery kiln “in case I ever want to make an ashtray”, despite never expressing an interest in ceramics, or smoking. I asked him how he was feeling about our emptying nest, in an attempt to forge some emotional glasnost. “Is this for work?” he said suspiciously, then claimed he didn’t know yet, while continuing to barbecue ceaselessly, in anticipation of the other household carnivore leaving. He even asked me to “probe his meat”, without the slightest erotic overtone. I feel we’re both ready to sink into shambolic eccentricity.

2 Likes

106-year-old Filipino woman Vogue’s oldest ever cover model - How wonderful. I am hoping to get to 106 (at least) and would love to look like this.

5 Likes

Minus the tattoos she looks a lot like my great-granny who died 10 years younger. I think she looks fab and actually saw a fascinating video about her about 10/15 years ago. Her tattooing implement is a little thorn (or some little thorns) embedded in a springy bit of bamboo, very interesting to see done.

2 Likes

I wasn’t sure where to post this but decided that as it is a positive ‘third age’ topic, here

I think retirees who retrain to teach children can be a really excellent thing! No doubt unforeseen by the recent government pronouncements but nevertheless a win for society. Retired professionals can bring their real work practical experience into classes. Why waste good minds?

I only hope the ‘unretired’ teachers are well received in schools and not subjected to the issues causing burn out of regular teaching staff.

3 Likes

I’m glad they’re finally seeing sense…

When I applied to get out of Industry and retrain as a teacher… I was told that I was too old… ie that I wouldn’t be working long enough to warrant the expense of being trained… !!!

As events played out… we came to France instead …
Here, I’ve been happily/enthusiastically accepted as a volunteer at our local school… the kids and I have a great time… and we learn from each other… :+1: :rofl:

4 Likes

Hopefully some will also stand for Parliament and will be able to bring direct experience to bear, instead of youngsters who have a degree in political science, sociology etc and no life experience whatsoever.

1 Like

Yeeeesss, it’s those blasted youngsters that are the problem in parliament. Let’s have less of the age-groups not to blame for all the terrible decisions of the last 50 years, and let’s have more of the age-groups to blame for all the terrible decisions of the last 50 years. :wink:

Although I guess to some people those in their 50s are considered youngsters :eyes:

https://commonslibrary.parliament.uk/house-of-commons-trends-the-age-of-mps/

1 Like

Depends on what you mean by “professional backgrounds”…

I’m quite happy to add… “mixture of working backgrounds” to my quoted list… which (of course) is not exhaustive… :wink:

[/quote] I’d prefer to see a real mixture of ages… if it gives a good mixture of folk with ideas, integrity and courage. :+1: :crossed_fingers: … Age really is… only a number. [/quote]

Unfortunately, they’re unlikely to escape the insane amounts of admin, restrictive supervision and all the other aspects of so-called Quality Control that drive people from that profession

3 Likes