Airbnb renting rooms in main residence

Hi everyone,
I wonder if anyone can share some experiences about renting rooms with airbnb.
From what I can understand you can rent all year if its a room or rooms in a main residence but only 90 days with a full property.
Also im intrigued which tax band if 2 rooms can generate no more them 8 thousand euro per year ? I guess no tax
Feel free to share any experience pls
Thank you

I think you might be confusing renting a room in your house on a proper rental contract, where there are various limits and tax breaks, with renting holiday/short term lets like with airbnb or other online portals.?

If the latter then you pay tax via normal regime. Must also register at your mairie, get a siret number, pay CFE tax and so on.

No idea on all the French rules but my mum (in Oz) has been renting about 18 months now, just one room. She has met some lovely, interesting people. She finds the one night stays a bit more work with all the washing / cleaning, especially if someone coming next day but as a pensioner in her 70s the extra income really helps her. Good luck!

1 Like

Pal used to do this in UK, gave up because of the uncertainties of a stranger having a house key and the occasional late night return. However quiet the guest is you will always have half and ear and eye open.

Worth doing in France though. Isn’t it about 4000 euros pa you can earn taxfree if renting a room in your home?

As a matter of interest, do you know if that also applies if the room is in an outbuilding on the same property as the main house??

think it must not be separate

Oh ok - thanks :+1:

No! It’s €760 if you are renting sporadically to temporary people like holiday makers via platforms like AirBnB and so on. Above that you pay tax and social charges - with a 50% abatement if declaring as BIC. And all online platforms now have to report income to the authorities.

However if you are renting longer term, to a student or seasonal worker for example, and your house is considered to be their residence principal then you are totally exonerated from tax is the rent is “reasonable”. Which means less than this per m2

192 € en Île-de-France (contre 191 € en 2021) ;
142 € dans les autres régions (contre 141 € en 2021).

And not a centime more or you pay tax and social charges on the lot.

1 Like

Just thinking about folk who might have started B&B recently… or be thinking about it…
Do be careful NOT to think that such and such doesn’t need to be declared 'cos it’s not liable to Taxes.

France takes into account ALL income (one way or another)… correctly declared, that which does not attract taxes will be left alone…
but it might well affect the overall financial picture.
If in doubt… chat with your local Tax Officers. They are not ogres… and even if you’ve done it wrong “before” they’ll help you put things right and won’t jump on you from a great height.
EDIT: And do investigate the “taxe de sejour” according to where you live. Especially important if you are doing B&B in a very small way…
If tds is applicable, it will be YOU who is liable for each and every guest or “presumed guests” if you don’t complete the regular “tds Returns”.
You charge the Guest B&B + tds, the Guest pays you B&B +tds… and you hand tds over to your local officials with appropriate “tds Returns” … phew easy peasy (or it should be)

But URSAFF will if you have not set your business up correctly! A B&B (chambre d’hôte) is considered as professional if you do it more than very occasionally,

Wow thx for all the replies…so kind…well we are currently looking to buy now for a 3 bed house with outside space and we want to rent occasionally the rooms thru airbnb…for extra money but we dont really need to
My french partner def will check with local tax office so we know for sure we won’t make mistake
thx

If your partner is French that changes a lot! He can rent LMNP up to €23k a year and declare under the BIC regime with ease. This means there is an automatic deduction of 50% on the turnover, and you only pay tax/social charges on the rest. But anything above €760 in total during the year must be declared. I

The basic thing is to determine which path you want to take. Having a permanent/semi-permanent lodger in your home, or short term lets to different people?

AirBnB/Booking and other platforms are better for the latter (and there are other platforms…) and if you are renting for less than 120 days in a year I don’t think you even need to register at the Mairie. But you will need to get a Siret number. It is only in the most popular places that it is only allowed to rent out to tourists for max 90 days as a measure to try to maintain affordable housing for local people. In other areas it is allowable to rent out all year.

The max contract term for a location meublé saisonnière (which is what airbnb rentals are legally) is 90 days, and you can’t renew to the same person. But you can have lots of short contracts to different people.

The amount of tax you pay, and your tax band, will depend on your overall income.

Speaking from personal experience…
I would advise everyone just to speak with their Mairie and find whether or not one needs to Register… (Yes, even folk who plan only to do occasional B&B… )

In this area, folk DO have to Register with their Mairie, even for occasional B&B.
I know from my own Occasional B&B experience that, here, Returns have to be done monthly to show what one has or hasn’t done.
Yes, even zero Returns need to be presented in my area… or one might get slapped with an automatic Taxe de Sejour bill… regardless (Yes, it’s happened… aaargh.)
So, it’s clear that there can be different requirements in different areas … always best to check.

Best of luck.

Are you referring to registering for taxe de séjour? Which is another aspect.

I was referring to this, which legally is only required for more than 120 days if in your residence principale, and any rental in a maison secondaire. Not that it’s an arduous task! :grin:

https://www.formulaires.service-public.fr/gf/cerfa_14004.do

Nope, everyone in my area, who wants to do B&B has had to register with the Mairie for many years now. No problem… even if it’s just B&B now and again… perhaps only 4 people in a year… but the Mairie has to know and you go on the List. Fair enough.

Many years later… tds comes in, suddenly being applied in our area and it’s a whole new world of paperwork and faffle.
I got charged around 48 euro for “assessed tds” and I’d not had a soul… but, I’d not “reported” zero B&B numbers… aaargh. First time I’d heard about Reports.
Frankly, it was due to the paperwork every month, even for zero clients… that I withdrew my premises from the Mairie’s list.

and this is why I advise folk to always check with their Mairie… obviously areas might well differ… but best to check what’s what.

Everthing is ready in our rental house now and the photographer took
the photos yesterday. We went to the marie today and invited her over to look.
She is coming on Saturday
Been told about getting classified anepred realise that we would have to change from Auto entrepreneur and get as S2 instead of our carte vital and that involves taking max 23k and paying loss cotistations.
Interesting

Not sure I’m understanding you Barbara?

Yes, the non-professional category has a max turnover of €23,000. And you can just declare in your tax return as a BIC. If you get classified then you will only be taxed on 29% of the turnover, without classification it’s on 50%. Or, if your charges are high, you can opt for regime reél but accounts have to be signed off by an accountant.

However, you may not be eligible for an S1 if you close your AE as you have worked and paid cotisations in France? So France will remain your health authority for ever more. It is only if you have not worked in France, and have a UK State Pension that you can get an S1, which means that the UK will take over as your health authority. You still keep your same carte vitale, and nothing much changes from your perspective apart from not paying cotisations.

But I don’t think you are eligible for that.

That is odd…and interesting I was told something total different by somebody yesterday who operates a site for Gite owners,
so if i only receive 23k income and have a classification what cotistations do i pay.
Thank you

If you close your AE and operate just as LMNP (louer en meublé non-professional) you don’t pay cotisations, you just pay tax and social charges.

That is what the majority of people who have one gîte that turns over less than €23,000 do, and have their healthcare covered by other means - either as retired or through direct annual payment.

Perhaps they didn’t quite understand your position? You said an S2, which is only for UK residents to request treatment in France Paid for by NHS - so totally not appropriate for you.