Aladdin cancelled

I know JohnBoy - that’s my point. All this Tory-Daily-Mail-Culture-War nonsense just falls apart under the tiniest bit of scrutiny. It’s entirely invented, with the simple purpose of distracting and dividing us - while the real purpose of the Tories and their media (enabling the wealthy and privileged to continue exploiting everybody else) sails merrily on.

Not to mention over-exploiting the environment…

4 Likes

Not only the Daily Wail but The Times, Indépendant, The Metro and loads of others.

2 Likes

Exactly Peter. It’s probably on the BBC. Again - that’s my point !

And in all that coverage, did the person/committee responsible for the cancellation deny that it had been for reasons of “cultural insensitivity”?

According to the Mail (look away now, ye Guardian-reading tofu-munching wokeists :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:) it was "a complaint over the names of Chinese launderette workers Chop Chop and Wishy-Washy in the script led to the production’s axing, according to villagers.

"The complainant, thought to be the mother of a cast member, had written to the production team to express her concerns over the names of the characters.

"She feared the names might upset audience members, particularly those from ethnic minorities.

“After committee deliberations, the production team decided it would not be possible to change the script and their only option was to cancel the show.”

(MSN)

I don’t believe a word of it. There would be plenty of time to change the script, if necessary by changing only the names of those characters.

I go back to my original theory: it was cancelled because it was too expensive to put on. But, rather than admit this, the organisers put the blame (and benefited by a bit of virtue-signalling into the bargain) elsewhere.

6 Likes

Its utter lunacy like this we want to escape! I put it down to Generation Entitled Snowflake with their useless degrees whose only real skill is finding something to be offended by.
Just a thought - is an African politician in a business suit Cultural Appropriation?

Wow, what made you hate the younger generation so much?

I’m just realistic Billy - really I feel sorry for them saddled with big debts and having been sold (largely) pointless degrees by the UK education industry only to find the much touted “graduate jobs” don’t exist. Some things will always need a degree such as sciences but many subjects are far better delivered via an apprenticeship.
This opinion comes from decades of involvement in training and employment/business watching things get worse.

What’s your degree in? Is it useful?

My experience is that the Gammons that go on endlessly about ‘Generation Entitled Snowflake’ are themselves the ultimate in entitled-snow-flake-iness.
Must admit I have not always been above testing this. You can have great fun dropping, say, some mildly disparaging comment about the late queen in the Tory press online comments.
Boy, are those guys easily upset ! I’m yet to come across any young people so easily offended.

1 Like

Are you thinking what I’m thinking, Véronique ?

2 Likes

So it’s acceptable to refer to people as gammons ? Or is it some kind of irony/joke

Probably not in the European ‘Research’ Group (where ‘research’ seems to consists of reading their colleague’s Telegraph’s opinion pieces).

On the other hand, overweight, pink faced men with a particularly porcine appearance (yes, I’m thinking of you, Lord Frost) might readily be described as such without most people losing any sleep.

3 Likes

I saw the light early so did Institute of Marketing Diploma, later NVQ5 (degree level) in Management, a few years on NVQ5 in Purchasing. Nothing with a useful degree interested me :person_shrugging:t2:

1 Like

Dont keep us in suspense Geoff

Well, I hope you’re using the tradesmen’s entrance when you log in then :joy:

1 Like

What did they call NVQs in the beginning ah yes not very good qualifications​:smiley::smiley::smiley::smiley::smiley::smiley::smiley::smiley::smiley::smiley::smiley::smiley::smiley::smiley::smiley::smiley::smiley::smiley::smiley::smiley:

1 Like

Is he on SF?

Wait, don’t tell me, he’s in deep cover and calling himself Geof something

2 Likes

Unmasked !
I told that bloomin’ Sir Charles Geoffrey Cox that nobody would believe I’m not a Gammon if I used his name.

1 Like

In England I was an FE College governor for 20 years 10 of which was as chair. It was and still is a very successful College offering all levels of NVQ and was also linked to Sheffield University so was able to deliver degree courses. We had a rule that all lecturers must have a degree which made sense but the trouble was that sense didn’t always come with a degree of sense, common or otherwise.

4 Likes

We said of our elder daughter, ‘Brain as big as a planet, but no common sense’.
She now is in her forties and has life experience to help out.