Almost nothing seems to be working in Britain…

You didn’t write it did you?

3 Likes

This, I think, is correct and will be our ultimate downfall.

Not happy - just the opposite - this is absolutely the key to understanding the right-wing outlook.
And not always fat.

The Economist is never going to feature any really good analysis. George Monbiot’s insight - ‘It’s not just that this shell of a government, and those who seek to take it over, have no answers. It’s that their ideology forbids answers.’ applies almost as much to The Economist as to the Tories.
Try George’s article on the same theme:

1 Like

I’ve read it, and Richard Murphy’s comments and those of Martin Lewis.

The government is not merely sleepwalking towards crisis, but running headlong. I think that they think they will profit (again) from the chaos.

Not so sure this time.

2 Likes

On my link, as you well know.

I don’t believe that the term “fat, dumb and happy” has anything to do literally with weight, intelligence or happiness”. It is an expression indicating entitled smugness, which I think is a fair representation of the Tory.

Anyway. my attempt to stimulate some discussion on what’s happening has fallen flat. It seems folk are cool with with 160k folk deciding on the future of 67m.

1 Like

And if Labour were in Government, it would be 415k people plus the TUC deciding the who would be the next PM and effectively deciding the fate of the U.K.

The system is ******.

No, I’m not OK with it, but there isn’t a whole bunch that I can do about it.

The system is broken at the moment - if we are to have a de facto presidential election we really should have a presidential system de jure.

Ideally the Tories should call a GE and seek a mandate for the policies of the new PM given that, in practice, people vote largely for the candidate of the party with the leader they like the most.

Though, on that basis, Lord Bucket-Head should be about to take power because neither Sunak nor Truss have the charisma of a sweaty sock and Starmer still seems to be happy to campaign on what he isn’t (not Corbyn, not Johnson, vaguely not Tory).

1 Like

Yes, that’s the problem alright. I guess change of PM should trigger a GE.

If the manifesto changes, there should be a GE because people should vote for what a party has promised to do, no who leads it.

We’re back onto buckets again :joy:
Not only that, but bucket headwear.

1 Like

If these institutions worked before covid and Brexit what has changed?

I think that the tipping point was 2019 and Johnson vs Corbyn which was essentially all about the personalities (and in Johnson’s case lies) of the two party leaders.

I think the rapid turnover rate is an issue.

Hi everybody, did anybody find my response to the OP’s comment “inappropriate, offensive, abusive, or a violation of the community guidelines”? The OP even agreed with me.

It has been flagged for some reason. I wonder if @John_Scully finds my post inappropriate, offensive, etc.? Or is a case of somebody choosing to take offence on behalf of others?

As I suggested above, the sources of many of these problems go back long before Brexit - mention of ‘sources’ brings to mind the privatisation of the water companies, which there haven’t been any new reservoirs built in England in the past thirty years, despite a sizeable increase in the size of the population (‘numbers’ - not referring to BMIs!). Their shareholders have prosperedat the expense of their customers.

Him?

:grinning:

No - him

Seems I slightly spelt his name incorrectly.

Along similar lines to the Economist article, it’s not often you read such criticism in the Spectator

2 Likes