An immigrant returns

next question… have you thought of one on the rear screen ??

Yes - you can actually buy twin sets that film front and rear - but I haven’t been driven to that yet - can see it coming though!!! :-:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I’m probably going to outfit the 730 with a twin setup, 2nd time this week I find new scratches on the rear bumper and no idea who it was :smiley:

1 Like

We bought a real cheap one a few years back, it was great, especially when on holiday.

Had some good films of some hairaising times in the mountains, especialy when some wild ponies were running loose on hairpin bends. Luckily we had turned the sound off because as I was the driver there were quite a few aghhh ****'s !

1 Like

I liked your summary, everyone gets a different take on life in the Uk and France.
I’ve been in France 14 years and sold and bought a house 3 years ago here. It’s my main regret and wished I hadn’t had bought again, wished I had rented or moved back to Yorkshire.
I am in Yorkshire this week and much prefer it here niw, more friends here still, I find people so much friendlier, and helpful. Shopping is cheaper but I do tend to buy more to take back to France.
As for roads , yes the French motorways are much better but you pay for this. Small roads still better, but in the towns/ city I find the Uk streets ,roads are better, Angouleme in France is a disgrace and been like that since I lived there.
You said more racist in Uk, but I found the opposite, i had a black friend in France and he moved back partly because of all the remarks and treatment against him, colouring his number plate black, he was part time pompier and had people in car crashes even say get your black hands off me.
I had used to have flats in st junien and had a few coloured tennents over the years, all nice but with what they said ,some hated the French for how they were treated even when they were from French colonies.
So I guess everyone has a different view on life depending where you live and experiences.
Hope you get back into the swing of the England, every country has different things that bring pleasure to you and also detest.

2 Likes

I agree that it is definitely more racist here, or certainly more overt racism than I have ever heard in the UK. I cannot believe how rude the French can be, especially towards Algerians or Moroccans.

2 Likes

I think it might be better to avoid blanket statements… it is simply not true that THE French are racist/rude…towards whoever… and neither are Brits…or whoever…:roll_eyes:

There are some… in whatever society…that is a sad truth… but let’s not exaggerate, please…

3 Likes

Well my girlfriend is marocain and works in the kitchens of a school in Angoulême, one day 2 black students told the chef they didn’t like some type of food.
He replied you should be grateful getting anything living in our country.
I could go on as you can imagine with a marocain girlfriend I hear the stories.

I’ve probably lived longer than you have and if we are going to start bandying stories about… I could go on almost for ever…

For every story there is another… and I know good stories and I know bad stories… that is how the world goes…

4 Likes

I was given a tip to remember for driving here - just keep your right arm against the curb and you will be able to work out the right direction at junctions even when there is no other traffic. Has worked for me ever since.

“i had a black friend in France and he moved back partly because of all the remarks and treatment against him, colouring his number plate black, he was part time pompier and had people in car crashes even say get your black hands off me.”

“Well my girlfriend is marocain and works in the kitchens of a school in Angoulême, one day 2 black students told the chef they didn’t like some type of food.
He replied you should be grateful getting anything living in our country.”

I find these two examples very surprising. Even the way they are phrased sounds unlikely to me.

You should move to Lancashire, really friendly.

True enough but it rains more there than in Brittany !!

Some people don’t see things that don’t affect them, but I have many other examples,

1 Like

Yorkshire’s really friendly , I’m ready to move back once the property market permits.

1 Like

“Some people don’t see things that don’t affect them, but I have many other examples”

My family contains a number of people of visibly non-European origin. I have never heard remarks like those you quote.
I don’t doubt that there is overt xenophobia and that unpleasant remarks are made, but the phrasing of those you quoted is odd.

2 Likes

Our local pompiers come in all colours… and when they are called out to an emergency… no-one argues about which person they will “allow” to help them… folk are simply pleased/relieved that help is at hand.

If someone really has been rude to a pompier who is trying to help them… I reckon they would be in shock or very stupid… :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

Really enjoyed reading this as I’m just about to do the reverse from March. Giving up my easy life in Billericay Essex to move near saint emilion. I’ve been popping back and forth but sooo cold and rainy in France and everything that could go wrong with the house purchase has from one owner dying just as we signed to the new water heater going wrong so no hot water and wood burner just doesn’t heat us up unless we are standing on top of it! Has really put pressure on my relationship. I just seem to walk slowly round the local leclerec or Mac Donald’s as warmer than in the house :rofl: Brick /Tiled floor houses probably best in the Summer!
I just want to know how I can meet some friends that are near or in 33350 as think I will go stir crazy! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

2 Likes

You might find it helps if you have a fan swirling the heat about… we have the fireplace at one end of a large/long room and a ceiling fan fitted at the other end… works a treat… and a free-standing/mobile fan of any sort would work similarly.

Some log-burners can have a heat-driven fan on top of them that sends the heat out… to the rest of the room… some have fans fitted underneath them…

it all helps

That’s great advice will look into it. As I’m still working I’ve been popping back and forth and confused about the move as I really love coming over but after a few days yearn to fly back to the uk but not sure whether I’ll feel more settled once I’m in France for longer periods. As my partner has been over since October and we’ve been living apart it’s really put a pressure on our relationship as he is overwhelmed with all the jobs that need doing and argues over the slightest thing. _emphasized text_Anyone would think we are having Harry and Meghan staying next month!
Maybe I’ll start a thread on relationships and whether other people find it as stressful :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like