And so the Brexshit effects begin

I was actually surprised - pleasantly so but it seems there might still be a tiny bit of integrity available in the media.

2 Likes

I’m glad you picked that up.
Ironic since everyone who applied for a CdS will have received an automatic email from the Int. Ministry, saying that No-Deal has been set aside. It very much hasn’t.
I think Johnson is moving inexorably towards a No-Deal and it’s just awful. I do hope I’m wrong.

I’ve just read the other comments and I’ll rephrase that.
I hope everyone’s picking that up. And that they have some idea of what No Deal means (looks in vain for an emoji that covers it
)

Why is Boris Johnson now so committed to a No Deal?

Well, the Ministry is distinguishing between leaving with a withdrawal agreement (transition, agreed rights etc). and crashing out wih no WA. We have left with a WA. We didn’t crash out.
Whether we have a trade deal in place by the end of transition is another matter. But it won’t retrospectively change the WA.

1 Like

Just been talking Brexit with a German colleague - she told me that extracts from Johnson’s speech were broadcast on German TV last night, and in the discussion afterwards the feeling was that there was no point in even going through the motions of negotiating, might as well just start preparing the hard borders

1 Like

I should imagine because he can then blame the next few years of economic carnage / more austerity / A&E closures/ food bank expansion and excess rainfall on “Them” - who “refused to give us a deal”

2 Likes

sorry to come in so late with a question that may have already been disussed - but I do not want to talk brexit per se here. I also don’t watch TV or listen to french ‘news’ programmes, however two french neighbours have told me that ‘the press is saying’ that we brits MUST get french citizenship in order to remain here. What is the story here? - I am sure there must be many on this forum who do watch the French ‘news’ channels and can help in clarifying this,
regards
geoff

Don’t think there is one - and no more requirement to apply for citizenship than for other non-EU immigrants.

I’d probably start with “which press” and “when” if you want to explore where your neighbours got this idea - I suspect the answer is “none”, “never” and “just something I heard” if you press for details.

Maybe they are confusing the need for a CdS which Brits will need to apply for.

1 Like

Yes, I reckon it is confusion between now needing obligatory residence card and citizenship. Even people on here have confused the two at times.

1 Like

the French gov have been very decent. they have updated their site to explain what is needed and to calm all our fears.

CdSejour
 is what IS required and we have until July 2021 to get them.

phew
 keep calm everyone
 all will be well.

1 Like

Since your neighbours will never need to apply for either citizenship or residency, it’s very understandable that they might confuse the two.
But I’m sure their concern is well meant.

1 Like

indeed, I agree - it was just that this hapenned the day after our mayor came over to tell me that I was no longer eligible to vote so I began to wonder if I was missing something !
regards to all
geoff

1 Like

I only look in when really bored and normally when too wet for work.
I do find this site clicky, all pro EU and never a discussion.
It’s like Facebook and discussions kept going by the management as how else would they earn a living.
Yes I live in France but there are bad things happening in both the EU and the UK.

2 Likes

I can’t see there been a deal unless the EU drop their demands for the European court to police everything and standards set to their terms.
The Uk has higher standards before we joined, other countries don’t have the EU court policing them,
We do need to be indĂ©pendant and have different rules, deals than Europe or it would never have been worth all the time leaving in the first place. I see Nissan are actually talking about building more cars in the Uk as it’s a larger market for them.

1 Like

I don’t think anyone can see there being a deal.
EU countries will lose one easy access market but they each have 26 left. And even if there was a deal it wouldn’t be friction free. So they’re not going to want the EU go to any great lengths or give anything away to get at a best second rate deal.
And the UK is too pig headed.

1 Like

@barrie_wildsmith. - the EU have so much more to offer the UK than the other way around I don’t see why the EU would/should go easy on UK in a trade deal as this would let down the 26 members.

I presume you mean ‘clique’ rather than click.

1 Like

And just FYI, we both have full time jobs.

You have made numerous comments about how much you dislike this site ; I am honestly flummoxed as to why exactly you continue to post.

1 Like

In what, exactly?

And why did the UK decide to lower its standards? Most countries have a policy of trying to gradually raise standards, not lower them