Any cheerful news today? (Nothing negative please! šŸ™‚)

My daughter rang today from Oz and said that her brother in law (sounds so formal) had two spare tickets to the Heineken Cup final. So off to Marseilles tomorrow.

4 Likes

After more than a week of unsuccessfully phoning to get a rdv with our doctor 15 kms away, yesterday I walked into the larger cabinet 4 kms away and got an immediate appointment for us both for next Friday and the instruction to seek our dossiers from the old place (have to drive there, no point phoning) to make the transfer.

The phone simply isnā€™t answered anymore at the old place but the new place offers rdvs online via ClickDoc. In any case, as I am in the neighbourhood at least twice a week anyway for the shopping it will be easy to drop in rather than drive 30 kms which was fast becoming my only option till now.

9 Likes

Looked like a cracking, very close gameā€‹:rugby_football::rugby_football:. Neither side deserved to lose

Having dinner outside a few hours ago (tuna steak with chickpea salad), I saw something Iā€™ve never seen before. Twelve black kites, all together, flew over the house quite low. They were definitely in a group. And they were all black kites. Now, I thought, kites arenā€™t that sociable a bird really, are they ?. I looked up the black kite on Wikipedia. They apparently do form communal roosts, but in the winter and this is summer. A very strange and wonderful sight, but Iā€™m really not sure why they were all together.
Answers on a postcard.

3 Likes

Heading for harvested field? They certainly congregate over combine harvesters.

Maybe. Wikipedia says they also head for fires, where suitable prey is flushed out. No fires nearby though that I know of.

Weā€ve seen an awful lot of them this year. Maybe not 12 at once, but getting close to that.

Iā€™ve never seen more than 3 or 4 in the sky at once before, so seeing so many so close and travelling as a group was a bit mind boggling.

And todayā€™s cheerful news is that OH has successfully bought a lawnmowerā€¦
Well, itā€™s cheerful news for meā€¦ as I wonā€™t be using itā€¦ :rofl: :rofl:

7 Likes

Lots of fruit this year as the frost didnā€™t nobble all the cherries. OH has been making desserts like his life depends upon it.

Mine is the healthier one on the right :laughing::laughing:

Less good news is I did buy new batteries for the scales :scream:

11 Likes

And now just noticed the first squash flower :partying_face::partying_face::partying_face: courgettes seem to be taking off nicely, toms coming on nicely as well, loads of flowers on the aubergines but canā€™t see any actual aubergines forming yet :thinking::thinking:

And just taken the car to get the new tyres fitted in the next village - tyres were delivered late so looked like I wouldnā€™t get them fitted today as all was booked in for this morning, but then the garagiste kindly said heā€™d still fit me in and lent me his personal car for me to drive home to come back later. Just love it when you come across that kind of random kindness - first time Iā€™ve used the garage, and certainly now makes me want to go back. :+1::+1::+1:

8 Likes

We had to wait for some springs to be ordered from Mercedes and as Jim had waited for some hours whilst the car had a service and new shock absorbers fitted, the garage arranged for one of their employees who lived not too far from us to take the car in the evening, leaving his with us and bring ours back the next day.

3 Likes

Picked up the car, handed over a bottle of decent wine to the garagiste, and he was delighted, as was I :blush::blush:

6 Likes

First drop of rain here in 22 CĆ“tes dā€™Armor just now for at least eight weeks. Maybe some long sowed seeds will finally germinate

3 Likes

Just had the most phenomenal rain storm. :grin: :grin: :grin:

3 Likes

My cheerful news is that the black clouds which cut short our evening stroll have turned into the most beautiful sunsetā€¦

8 Likes

Played a 50min set with Gospel Bell at The Bell in Adderbury this afternoon as part of the village celebrations. Usually itā€™s all acoustic there because of their music license, but this time we were amplified and it was a lot of fun, playing much louder and faster than usual thanks to the short set. We had people up and dancing to some of the songs and a very appreciative and interactive audience. Good fun. :smiley:

11 Likes

I hope they renamed to The Gospel Bell for the day in your honour.

1 Like

Mrs W. has fully recovered from a day and half of Covid and sheā€™s full of beans no more symptoms.
Testing positive myself I canā€™t attend a couple of boring meetings in Paris and Brittany next week.

4 Likes

This is where the band formed originally, and pre-covid there was a residency (which may change when the new landlords start next month). Weā€™re named after the pub. :smile:

2 Likes