Any cheerful news today? (Nothing negative please! šŸ™‚)

Well the bluebells and daffs have come and gone, the honeysuckle all but disappeared too, though as well as forcing its way out of the wood sideways from where I planted it years ago, searching the sun, the other day I spotted its flowers 30 feet in the air above some of the trees. :astonished: :joy:

Likewise the rambling roses, always a pleasure peering above the hedge but now, especially the wild strawberries. I used to pick and eat them but they are so small and often hidden, that it is a lot of work for little reward, so I leave them, as with most of the grapes on the lone vine, struggling to emerge from the surrounding blackberries by the bottom pond, to the birds. :slightly_smiling_face:

There are a few, very few, white roses about 2 metres from where I am sitting. A gift from a visiting dog lover, the pot was plonked down just beyond the terrasse and left till a decision was made as to where to plant it. That decision was never made, so it simply poked its roots down where it was and flowers every year. A similar red rose was planted, up by the top pond, but one year disappeared never to be seen again.

Which is why nature, not me, is my gardener. :joy:

Edit: Cheerful news to come, soon I hope, when the farmer who uses the 2 fields we walk in, cuts the grass, he is always the last in the district to do so. At the moment it is chest/shoulder high and a bit of a pain when wet. This morning I watched as Jules made his circuit of investigation, all I could see of him was the raised tip of his tail scything through the waving sea. I could almost hear the ominous der da, der da der da as the dorsal fin circled and gradually got nearer. :rofl:

Cheerful news now though as I saw the various sized depressions where wild animals had rested in the night, deer, sanglier, foxes, rabbits ? :grinning:

8 Likes

First cucumber of the year :cucumber:

30cm long :slightly_smiling_face:

10 Likes

Getting ready for our annual trip to the seasideā€¦ OH was distraught to find the oyster knife missing from the picnic basketā€¦ heā€™s been searching high and low to no avail.
But ā€œold-four-eyes, blind as a batā€ (me) has found it! Hurrahā€¦
Now weā€™re all setā€¦

6 Likes

What a great day!!! I just got a controle technique pass! Well so, I hear you say :thinking:

Well, this is for a car that I purchased in Jan 2001, originally registered in July 1998, drove it until 2008 then kept it in the garage without driving it until starting to resurrect it at the beginning of this year. Over the past months Iā€™ve been doing alot of work on it in between work on the house and garden, and today was the culmination of all that work. Iā€™ve enlisted the help of @anon90504988 to get the car now registered in France, so the carte grise will be the very last step of the journey - I am smiling :grin:

9 Likes

Comme dā€™habitude, searching for something really important (canā€™t remember what it was now :confused:) yesterday I came across a large envelope containing lots of small paperwork. Inside were loads of photos, including those tiny box Brownie type snaps and letters still in their envelopes.

The eye openers were the letters though. Clear postmarks gave time, date, place and destination of them and amongst others I saw the instantly readably neat script of my Mum who died in 1995. Also from her sister and their Dad, my Grandad. The ones I have read so far, the rest will keep me occupied for days, were written in the 1940s and it gives a strange tingle to see my name mentioned and the evidence of my 5 year old insistence to write 2 kisses alongside my name at the top because I had seen her start to write. Also a letter to her Mum, dated August 1946 asking ā€˜how did Dad take my news?ā€™. My little brother John was born in February 1947. A sad reminder that he followed her to wherever we go after life only 6 months later in '95.

Canā€™t wait to read the rest, including maybe a link to my lost Aunt, Eileen, married to Uncle Reg, both 21, in early 1941, shortly before he sailed as 3rd mate to his death off Newfoundland. The family hardly knew her at all and completely lost contact with her. Maybe I have a long lost cousin somewhere. :joy:

9 Likes

Lucky you David. I know my mother had a bundle of such letters because I came across them in my late teens - lovely ones my father wrote to her when she was in a sanitorium for TB at the beginning of their marriage. Sadly, over one of the moves she must have got rid of them. I so regret that. Sorry, this should only be cheerful news. The cheerful bit is that I know they were there and I read them in my teens.

4 Likes

Iā€™m so glad you did read them! You know they existed and you can recall the love which was contained in their wordingā€¦ marvellous to have such a happy memory.

1 Like

I am surprised these survived. Mum died in '95 and Dad remarried 3 months later, to the consternation of the whole family though supported by my brother and I. (We didnā€™t know then what a shit she was going to turn out ot be) and I think it was when she persuaded him to sell up in Spain and return to England that Dad sent several suitcases full of stuff to us here. I started to go through them, transferring photos etc to computer but the enormity of the task palled and I paused,ā€¦for about 15 years :astonished: This envelope must have been the next in line for processing and was on a chair with other things next to my old computer. Lots to look forward to. :grinning:

4 Likes

I had that challenge five or six years ago and I bought one of these, they had just been announced and only available in the States so I had a friend on a business trip cart one back for me. It gobbled the work up and the quality was so good I shredded the originals and got back acres of shelf space. itā€™ll scan documents, like you Mumā€™s letters too.

Just seen the price, ā‚¬ 299 on Amazon France. :astonished:
Might just stick to the steam one. :wink: :rofl:

1 Like

I know ir seems pricey at first, but weigh that up with the fact that without it youā€™ll probably never actually get around to digitising all those precious snaps and even if you do it could have saved you hours and hours and hours andā€¦ Plus you can flog it afterwards.

I spent a very very very happy afternoon next to Paris hearing my daughter defending her doctoral thesis in plant /pathogen genetics and interactions in front of an international jury (plus her lab boss, colleagues, zoom people, the representative of the company funding it and also various great and good, students, sisters and me.
I donā€™t know how many times they said eye opening game changing excellent, beautiful (about her research experiments and molecular stuff) etc so I am happier than anyone could imagine. Many congratulations from the jury.
And she seems to have done all this while being her nice normal efficient communicative funny self and is obviously much appreciated.
I am so happy for her :slightly_smiling_face:

21 Likes

And I am happy for you too, Vero. I am sure my son is appreciated in Thailand, but it would be nice to see the evidence of it. :grinning:

2 Likes

Well done her, and well done you Vero. One of, in fact maybe the only, regret of my life is that my late wife didnā€™t get to see our daughter qualify as a doctor. It was her maternal support and guidance that made it possible. Just as Iā€™m sure yours did for your daughter :slightly_smiling_face:

6 Likes

Thatā€™s fantastic Vero. So often the development of a mind that views the world in a way that asks questions enabling this kind of work is shaped by what it learns at home - she really is a credit to you.

4 Likes

One of the rewards of being a parent.

1 Like

Seeing as I canā€™t start a new topic in this category, and it is related to cheerfulness, Iā€™ll post it here. :roll_eyes:

You may think these are mountains lost in mist, but youā€™d be wrong, this is our weather forecast. seeing this on the hills to the south west simply means rain will be here in a few minutes. :joy:

Well I told you it was of no importance. :rofl:
And in any case it looks better with the naked eye. :smiley:

7 Likes

My son got offered his first job today. Itā€™s taken a long time, for various reasons. Itā€™s not really related to his studies, but to be honest Iā€™m just glad heā€™s finally going to be in work.

11 Likes

How old is he Gareth?

Heā€™ll be 25 in Septemberā€¦! :scream:

He really struggled as a kid due to having Tourettes. Itā€™s hardly noticeable now but it only disappeared whilst he was at uni.

He couldnā€™t find work after originally graduating in 2019ā€¦ Although personally I think he still had the mentality of being a student and didnā€™t try hard enough. He started a Masterā€™s when Covid hit in 2020 which was probably not a bad idea, but itā€™s taken until now for him to land a job.

9 Likes