Any cheerful news today? (Nothing negative please! šŸ™‚)

It did Lily, so very cheerful news to report. The handover was easy, although I had to move location because the Bordelais got confused, and Choco spent the night in the big cage in Julesā€™ old bed after we got home at 2am.

Extremely lively, dancing about on the lead like a flea but he rejected Julesā€™ repeated requests to play.
At his new home this morning he was racing about everywhere like a Whippet and at one point leapt into the pool. They are delighted with him so I hope he is a stayer. :joy:

2 Likes

Me too, but one of my cat is terrified of storms, so always wishing it to stop :woman_shrugging:

What joy :heart_eyes:

1 Like

I was, but wouldnā€™t you believe it, the batteries in my camera failed just as I was about to video the fun. :roll_eyes:

1 Like

Angela, had about a dozen drops yesterday.

Grey and cooler today, hereā€™s hoping

Andy

We managed a temporary mist, not enough even to leave drops on the deck - as you say though, cooler today and we have everything crossed! Whatā€™s left of our veg will be very grateful :roll_eyes:

1 Like

We are still discovering plants left by previous owners. Not so long ago we finished clearing a bed of sage which looked like it had been there for 30 or 40 yrs. The end result was a pile of dust but we noticed one interesting green shoot which we left. Itā€™s now quite an attractive shrub

We havenā€™t looked after it or watered it and yet itā€™s fresh and green so a very useful addition to the garden but havenā€™t been able to identify it. Any suggestions?

looks a bit like nicotiana to meā€¦

Belle de nuits fuchsias ou morning primrose???

1 Like

yep, I reckon youā€™re rightā€¦ belle de nuit.

Must say Iā€™d love to have itā€¦ and/or the multicolouredā€¦

Hereā€™s some of mine to compare, Iā€™m not good with flower names.
![image(upload://jk1gUBqo2CywqCto9skmEWoUgPG.jpeg)

1 Like

@Wozza Belle de nuitā€¦ thatā€™s certainly your photo I reckonā€¦
if itā€™s wrong, blame my neighbourā€¦ Iā€™ve just asked him (heā€™s got it flowering outside his houseā€¦)

Looks the same especially the leaves and it probably is a tobacco plant. Something weā€™ve never grown before. Ours is about 2ft high. Do you know if it is an annual

If the flowers are mostly closed during the dayā€¦ I think youā€™ll find youā€™ve got ā€œbelle de nuitā€ which opens and attracts nightfliers moths et alā€¦ during the evening/nightā€¦
Belle de Nuit (tubers) perennial; but nicotiana is an annual which seeds quite freely and is a daytime flowerā€¦

If itā€™s growing like a shrub, I suspect the BdN tubers are doing their job very well.

NB: I got seeds from the neighbour but had little luck, as weā€™re mostly rockā€¦ no chance for anything to get started, let alone form a tuberā€¦

Mine are not annuel, I collect the seeds and rake in the soil in May, if I forget, some start coming up at the end of May (self sown). They usually flower until the cold weather sets in.

We have some of these, sown as seed. We have the pink and some white. Donā€™t know what theyā€™re called as I canā€™t find them in the seed box and the OH is out. They seem to be quite drought tolerant as they get little water and seem to thrive.

Thanks for that info all very interesting. It is definitely BdN and is exactly like the pic below. So if itā€™s tubers they can be lifted and split
belle-de-nuit

My neighbour is now looking very dourā€¦ Iā€™ve just chatted and asked him more about his (normally) lovely flowersā€¦ seems I might have misunderstood his grumbly Frenchā€¦ but no matterā€¦ He reckons theyā€™re Belle de Nuit and come up every year in abundanceā€¦ without him doing anything except cutting the stems close to the ground when they die off.
They are looking particularly sad at the moment, all the foliage is turning brown.
Hoping the rain will be sufficient to give the plants a second chance of flowering this yearā€¦

The sun is now back with a vengeanceā€¦ so heā€™s gone back indoorsā€¦ and here I am again, in the cool of my studyā€¦
EDIT: and the really cheerful news is OH has just presented me with a tall glass of orange juice topped with tonicā€¦ yummy.
@geoffrey_Croshaw ā€¦ when you try digging, seems you might find what looks like black carrotsā€¦ eureka

Definitely Belle de Nuit. Marvel of Peru in English. We have some (rose colour) in our garden. Itā€™s a thug. But very useful in a drought and in high summer when lots of other things are sulking.

1 Like