Any cheerful news today? (Nothing negative please! 🙂)

OH treated us to lunch out
 hurrah.
Menu de jour, 5 courses with coffee
 16 euros each.
and we had such fun

We’ve known the patron and his wife (the chef) for years and there is always a jovial atmosphere. Mostly, it’s local workers with a few oddities (like us).

The patron is the only staff
 he places you, takes the order, presents the food and clears the dishes

Today there were 30 of us, well spaced
 and he danced here and there like an acrobat
 never spilling or dropping anything.
Quite fun just watching his antics

His wife is a wonderful cook
 mmm
 I feel a late siesta is beckoning

5 Likes

That’s a great price! My best at the moment is 15.50 for three courses 
 mind you, the starter is cruditĂ©s and salads Ă  volontĂ© (or Ă  gluttony as Mrs P might say).

Sounds like you have a top place there.

1 Like

We do
 he is a local boy made good
 works like a trojan. His wife is a great cook and, as well as the resto, they do the catering for weddings/whatever

1 Like

I got through to Orange on the phone after 3 rings!! And encountered a helpful customer service person! And got the follow up email promised after 30 minutes!!

Hasn’t actually solved the problem, but at least I feel that I was paid attention to. And know what my next step is - making a complaint to the gendarmes,

3 Likes

When we had employees in our building firm here we had to buy them lunch or give them the equivalent in money every day and I often used to join them if they were not too far away and we had some fabulous meals for around €10 back then including wine, but OH did not like them drinking it because of machines being used etc. The places were usually staffed by the cook and his wife or vice-verse in many cases and not plush eateries but clean and tidy and full of happy contented eaters mostly workmen. The quality of the meals provided were worthy of any top class resto à la carte.

2 Likes

Le menu ouvrier is usually fantastic especially in the grand sud-ouest :grin:

6 Likes

I did draw the line at the local tĂȘte Ă  veau though, didn’t go that day but OH loved it and tripe too - yuk!

1 Like

For me, I drew the line at boiled tongue, served as a large slab with the skin still on :nauseated_face::face_vomiting:. Tete a veau is actually quite nice.

After what must be about 13 years of putting up with a suspect assainissement installation where it didn’t seem to matter what we did, from time to time we’d get a bad smell from the vent pipe in our utility room, suddenly it’s completely gone.
We have a macramé of pipes behind our sink which gives us no means of rodding if the sink begins to block. Last week, our plumber came up with a brilliant solution - cut the pipe in the wall behind the dishwasher before it runs along behind the kitchen units and put in a rodding point. Now we can clear pipes in both directions - back towards the sink and onwards towards the fosse, which is right the other side of the house.
Somehow, in doing that, we now also have a beautifully smell-free utility room as well as a means to keep our sink beautifully clear. And real relief that we haven’t had to take out all the kitchen units to solve the problem. :grin:

5 Likes

Yes and especially when you see it in the fridge in the supermarket with grass bits still on it as well. Never did like tongue and for the past ten years of more hardly eat meat now, chicken is the only one I can say I enjoy

1 Like

When our breton house went onto mains drainage and owners were responsable for doing the work themselves to connect up, OH putting exterior rodding eyes (small metal oval covers) at every corner of the house as the waste pipe from the kitchen could only go out and round two corners before joining up with the rest of the pipework between our barn and house. It paid off greatly as over theyears, grease built up in the pipework and the plumber was able to clear it via these eyes whereas it would have been a long and costly operation (this is post OH death so he wasn’t around to take care of the problem) and the smell that emenated from the blockage was horrible in the kitchen sink/dishwasher area. A good tip is to wipe all your plates and dishes if greasy at all with kitchen roll, much cheaper than a plumber call out these days!

1 Like

Not my news but a lovely story from today’s BBC

8 Likes

Not only did the plaquiste suggest removing the hideous render around the chimney breast thus revealing a nice stone cheminée we had no idea was there (whyever did we live with it for 30 years?), he also suggested removing the crepi-covered plasterboard under the stairs and leaving the underneath of the stairs bare (as he needed to be sure he was boarding the ceiling to the right place). My goodness does it look better. :smiley:

6 Likes

Between my smart meter & EDF, I have been informed that I’m paying 25 euros per month more than I need, because I’m not consuming as much electricity as I did last year, and I’ll be getting a rebate of 178 euros as well. Well done me!

Due to much milder weather probably

6 Likes

My grandson arrived unexpectedly, first hug in over two years, :hugs: I am over the moon :clap: :grinning:

13 Likes

Overnight stay in Lyon, a busy but not so wealthy district by the look of it. Walking through the market this morning with the smell of the fresh produce filling the air. A wiff of coffee from the small patisseries along my route. Truly France.

14 Likes

The chimney sweeps came yesterday, brothers I think, right on time as promised by text a month ago. Brilliant job, very clean, no mess and all done and dusted in 15 minutes.

I was lucky because I had forgotten they were coming and went for my usual 4pm swim and only remembered as I was drying off 15 minutes later. I had just put the last garment back on when it struck me and I heard the dogs bark. :astonished:

Happy though because if I had remembered I wouldn’t have risked it in case they were early and would have missed out 2 days running. No swim today because it is education day for Jules and I at 4 and I am taking little Oprah along to introduce her. Might even sign her up too, if Kahli agrees it will be beneficial. I am sure it will she is coming on leaps and bounds (well not exactly bounds, she plods along on her own largely following me dragging her 33 metre line, just in case) in the obedience department. She is not deaf but hard of hearing as befits her almost 13 years. :joy:

3 Likes

Just finished painting the hall and landing.

Horrible bitty job, but looks really good, walls a slightly darker green and the wood panels a very light green.

Two days well spent

6 Likes

I hope you don’t come back with Covid. Our neighbour works there twoor three days a week and she has caught it twice.
Lots of folk round here have retired from Lyon and they have caught it there.

1 Like

Thanks, I wear the mask when flying but avoided the v crowded bar with live music last night.

3 Likes