Any cheerful news today? (Nothing negative please! 🙂)

yep
 common sense is your best friend

yesterday’s funeral for a covid-death
 160 tightly packed into the little church, doors closed

2 officials were masked and the service took 90 minutes
I only saw 1 out of 160 mourners wearing a mask. :roll_eyes:

1 Like

Were they the one in the coffin? :relaxed:

we might well chuckle
 and I generally do at funerals
 :wink: :rofl:

but as covid is actually rife in our little corner
 and currently present amongst the families at the funeral
 it did seem a bit daft not to mask-up

The 1 masked lady was my neighbour
 hurrah
 good girl
 and she stayed by the doors, albeit they were closed
 but draughty

EDIT the cheerful news is that no-one fell down the steps
 or up them for that matter.

(there was a wonky stone so I placed a red/white traffic cone on it to keep everyone at bay
 they walked carefully either side of it
 council workers will be mending the stone asap
)

2 Likes

Not so much cheerful as a bit bizarre, I received a vinyl record I ordered online today (Xitintoday by Nik Turners Sphynx if anyone’s interested). It arrived with 24 stamps on it, which seemed to add up to €43 for postage, although we paid nowhere near that much. In the corner was written 6.55€ - 42.97F. It seems as though all the stamps, which added up to 43 were in Francs. Looking online shows that french stamps never ‘time out’ and can always be used. Even more bizarre, there are people online selling the F1.80 stamps for a euro, so be could maybe have got more selling the stamps online !

Edit: The OH looked up these stamps online, and they’re from 1982 and so are 40 years old. Also now worth more than face value it seems.

7 Likes

Nik Turner, now theres a blast from my past. Was an avid Hawkwind fan in the 70’s, saw them several times and then enjoyed Robert Calvert and of course, the maestro himself, Lemmy Kilminster. Happy days.

2 Likes

Someone is having a happy time in Normandy

Rather endearing that there is a London Taxi Charity. I remember black cabs fondly because as a young thing in London when taking me home in the wee hours the driver always waited to make sure I safely went into my building.

3 Likes

Knowing my luck I’d have tripped over the bloody thing. :roll_eyes: :rofl:

Cheerfuller, Opie (renamed because I can’t seem to remember Oprah) came with Jules and I today and both were off the lead while in the large encosure for Jules’ exercises. Kahli was super impressed with Opie who not only sat, on hand command, but also followed at my hip while I intoned constantly ‘au pied, au pied’ and said there wasn’t much point in her signing up for membership as she is so rapidly learning everything from me. :smiley: Can’t claim all the credit, she is very, very treat orientated, but nevertheless a good thing for one who appears hard of hearing. I must concentrate on teaching her to constantly look towards me for a hand signal. Once she has mastered that she will be offlead completely in field and forest. :joy:

4 Likes

I had my fifth shot yesterday, I was expecting a bivalent one but the person jabbing me said it was polyvalent. All the better, I suppose. Though unlike the previous four Covid shots I’m feeling a bit ropey today.

Are they just making these names up? :joy:

Just had my email from Engie to say they are paying me €100 towards my electricity bill as they promised their customers recently and will be in my account in Dec. It all helps especially with xmas and the water bill looming too.

2 Likes

Noticed more cashiers in LeClerc were masked up yesterday compared to previously. Its the season of germs too, grandson full of chestiness and snotty nose again poor little devil, always ill from the crĂȘche breeding grounds.

Have spent the last 3 weeks constructing and installing additional bespoke units to our kitchen. Total happiness to be in my workshop with all my machinery and tools to hand. The smell, feel and versatility of timber and the privilege of working with it is the best feeling.
Now waiting for our all singing all dancing super fridge to arrive next month to complete the transformation.

10 Likes

If you feel lost when you’ve finished that, John, we now have an empty shell which needs a kitchen in it :rofl:

(Not being serious really - we’ll get round to it some time!)

4 Likes

I’ve recovered from last night’s theatre trip (partner could follow most of it but I was totally lost, which doesn’t bode well for the impending language exam). However, today, the sun is shining and we’ve realised that the bits we need to progress the renovation can be best obtained from somewhere just down the road from one of our favourite beaches :smiley: That should certainly lift the spirits so we’re off now!

3 Likes

Don’t be discouraged: a lot of being able to follow a drama involves non-verbal cues, piecing together a story etc.

3 Likes

what exam??

1 Like

Attempting a DELF B1 thing next month
 :worried:

5 Likes

Our Norfolk family have spent a wonderful Sunday in Thursford (steam engines and all the magic of Christmas
)
They’ve sent us loads of photos and I’m mentally transported back to our last visit there

Lovely to see the Oldies having as much fun as all the kids
 got me smiling from ear to ear 
 hurrah.

2 Likes

Our son returns today, after 3 years in New Zealand. It will be strange having another adult in the house after so long with just the 2 of us.

8 Likes

After having my booster last Jan I’ve had months with a frozen shoulder, allowing very minimal movement, then followed by a few weeks of physio and me doing alot of excercises at home. But yesterday, finally managed to swim 3000m and no aches today - hurrah. Not quite the 6000m I managed before the booster, but a good start. There was a time over the last months when I just couldn’t imagine getting my shoulder ‘back to normal’, so you can imagine my delight :partying_face: :partying_face: :partying_face:

5 Likes