Any cheerful news today? (Nothing negative please! 🙂)

If you can use an xl spreadsheet it’s very easy to make the comparison based on edf’s published rates and your historic consumption. As mentioned earlier, I modeled my comparison on not changing my habits, so business as usual on the red days, and I still save. Once I adjust my habits I would expect to save more e.g limiting use on red days, doing washing, heating water in the off peak 6am -10pm slot. Certainly worth looking into!

Not sure how the Linky meter works – don’t want to touch it. EDF always sends me an email the day before a red day is due, so I’ll carry on as usual.

No need to. We get all our info from our Linky via EDF online, which I find very helpful and which is my cheerful news.

3 Likes

Mine too, as they let me know by email to change the monthly payments online, either to reduce or increase the payments, based on current consumption, so there’s no shock at the end of the year.

1 Like

I did exactly the same. Because I have rooftop solar, I have a box that measures all sorts of things including how much I draw from the grid in 15 minute intervals. With this data, it’s easy to compare costs between Blue and Tempo.

The OH is being released from detention tomorrow morning from the Clinic de Sud after rehabilitation after her knee replacment. Her progress so far is quite amazing. Two weeks after the op and although she is still using crutches, she walks with them several times a day and we recon is doing about 1.5 to 2 Km per day. The physio is also greatly increasing her joint movement and yesterday she climbed a full set of steps on her crutches without any problem.
So today as well as wine making, I’m baking a cake and making Whiskey mustard (her favourite) using some single malt I got for Christmas.

Edit: Damn, you have to soak the mustard seeds for 24 hours. Never mind, I’ll start it anyway.

8 Likes

It sounds as though you have EJP: guard it preciously, they try to stop anyone having it because it is too advantageous to the customer :wink: you won’t be better off with Tempo which is just watered-down EJP.

You are right, I have EJP. Thanks for reminding me. As they say, if it ain’t broke don’t fix it.

1 Like

We have hot water on tap. :joy:
Although he was late arriving because of fog and ice in the Charente, he did let me know so I was able to do other things without fear of missing him.
How fed up I was boiling that blasted kettle dozens of times a day.
Nice chap too, we spent much of the time chatting, which extended his time here, but wasn’t charged for that. :grinning:

13 Likes

Had about 5cm of snow overnight. Almost gone now.
Just had a severe weather warning from the mairie. There will be snow from Dordogne down to Pyrenees Oriental. Where we are in the Black Mountains the forecast is 15 to 20cm of snow tonight. Reminds me of living in the Pennines :grin::snowflake::cloud_with_snow:
Edit: Some people may not think of lots of snow as cheerful, but I love it, especially walking in deep snow.

2 Likes

I love snow, but we very rarely get any in 72.
We got maybe 4-5 flakes yesterday and the locals went into full 10kph or we will slide of the road mode, it’s hilarious to watch, myself and the local shopkeeper stood outside the shop having a good laugh watching them.

Best winter ever - February 2012 - although it wasn’t that deep we couldn’t get our car up the chemin to the road along the top. We were “cut off” for several days. :grin:

The dogs loved it.

6 Likes

Throwing caution to the winds
 we’ve just put the electric blanket inside the bedding, for tonight.

It’s only a small electric blanket, but the bed will be wonderfully warm after only 15 mins, (so shouldn’t shock EDF too much
 )
Snow is settling everywhere and that’s what has made us “go mad
” we’re celebrating Winter
 hurrah
 we’ll have warm tootsies tonight.

4 Likes

What is EJP?

It is a system whereby EDF gave you 22 hyper expensive days per year and all the rest were cheaper, there wasn’t heures/ pleines heures creuses, just 2 rates. It was so advantageous that EDF decided to get rid of it, so it has been replaced by Tempo, and there haven’t been any new EJP contracts for over 20 years - even though the old contracts are still valid. EJP stands for effacement des jours de pointe which I would translate as peak demand buffering.

4 Likes

Ta Vero.
No wonder EDF got rid of it as you say

1 Like

I bought my house in 1999, the previous owners had an EJP contract, when I set up my contract I wanted to continue with EJP but EDF said non, and suggested they replace it with a tempo contract, it was all very nicely explained to me, with lots of pfff shrugs and eyerolling that it was a shame for customers but EJP was just too much of a good thing and not for edf.

1 Like

It got to you in the end then.

Just to add that EDF cut my electric central heating off for those 22 EJP days, so I need supplementary heating such as gas, oil or wood. It’s the other appliances, such as the microwave, washing machine, vacuum cleaner etc that you need to be judicious with on those 22 days.

Am pleased that my neighbours in 1985 advised me to stick to EJP when I visited back then.

Thank you for being so generous
 :rofl: :rofl: