Any cheerful news today? (Nothing negative please! šŸ™‚)

Bean sprouts, tomato, carrot and lettuce (Iā€™ll horrify most on here with Heinz salad cream) simples really Tory :yum::grin::laughing:

2 Likes

Looks like salad but from the bottom up the bowls contain: flat rice noodles, shredded carrot, sliced shiitake, sliced tomato, bean sprouts, sliced shallot, mangetout, coriander, mint and thinly sliced raw beef.

Then you pour boiling broth on it, made with stock ( roast bones cooked up with charred onion ginger turmeric lemon grass pepper 5 spice powder and fish sauce). Finally you put chillies and lime juice and roasted minced peanuts on it when you eat it.

8 Likes

Had something almost identical (no mushrooms) at a fantastic Vietnamese restaurant in Carcassonne, run by two ladies. Unfortunately, the restaurant shut last November after the two of them had been running it for nearly 40 years. It was the best Vietnamese food for miles around.

3 Likes

It is just pho :slightly_smiling_face: what veg you put in depends on likes/dislikes and whatā€™s to hand :slightly_smiling_face:. ViĆŖt food is my comfort food :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

Iā€™m particularly fond of lemon and sugar @JaneJones and @toryroo but I do like the sound of apricot jam with cointreau @KarenLot - I shall ask my chef to make some when I get back home next week!

Iā€™ve had crĆŖpes with ā€œcointreau flambĆ©ā€ and it was deliciousā€¦
on the other handā€¦ pancakes with lemon/sugar, with a small glass of cointreau to gently sip ā€¦ heavenlyā€¦

1 Like

Best of both worlds! I like the sound of thatā€¦

1 Like

Please noteā€¦
Weā€™ve never flambĆ©ā€™d anything in our own homeā€¦
Iā€™ve childhood memories of Mum setting the place alight when she ā€œlitā€ the Christmas pud one yearā€¦ aaaarghā€¦

1 Like

I would eat that as is :sunglasses:, in Kenya when on contract we eat a lot of thinly sliced raw meat of whatever was available, antilope, gazelle, zebra, impala whatever was on the menu that day.

1 Like

I would love go be invited to tea!

4 Likes

For what I made or someone elseā€™s culinary delight?

Yours please, it would make up for my first attempt at
CanelƩs de Bordeaux this morning that have failed spectacularly :laughing:

presumably too late for this yearā€¦ but for next yearā€™s brewā€¦ donā€™t chuck the used sloes awayā€¦ simply cover them with a different alcohol/sugar mix and do the whole thing over againā€¦ I can confirm this provides a delicious drinkā€¦ hicā€¦ hicā€¦

1 Like

For your bowl which youā€™ve now done, thanks sounds really yummy :heart:

1 Like

I have done this before (and also tried embedding them in chocolate) but for me the results have always been a bit thin and disappointing, even pooling up the sloes for the second round of extraction. Having said that, I still have about a litre of un-used gin, so might give it a go.

My sloes are still steeping in gin and waiting for me in France. Theyā€™ll have to sit till April!
Last year I put the drained sloes with sugar into red wine. Quite drinkable.
Iā€™m planning to use this batch in sloe jam, hoping it will be a bit like damson but with a kick, not for the grand babies!

1 Like

Must confess, Iā€™ve only done this re-run once beforeā€¦ we used a very awful Spanish Brandy and the result was nectar of the godsā€¦ :+1: :wink: phew, no longer burnt itā€™s way down oneā€™s throatā€¦ instead it almost made oneā€™s whole body glow happilyā€¦ yummy

I handed the bottle round some of my carclub palsā€¦ as a digestifā€¦ and theyā€™re hoping Iā€™ve more bottles lurkingā€¦
Sadly thereā€™s only 1 more large bottle and Iā€™m keeping that for our Sortie Ć  la Mer in Juneā€¦

2 Likes

Now I just need a supply of cheap, roughish brandy. Wonder if I can find something next week?

1 Like

Yes, roughish is what you needā€¦ and I didnā€™t mean to disparage Spanish Brandy as much is very tastyā€¦
That particular Spanish Brandy was a grave error and put us off buying something before tasting itā€¦

1 Like

Sunshine and temperature in double figures. Going out to prune the wisteria and I wonā€™t be wearing a coat. :grin:

4 Likes