Any cheerful news today? (Nothing negative please! šŸ™‚)

Just wanted to let @Griffin36 know that Iā€™ve finally got round to making the crumpet recipe he posted earlier and, although not a complete success (half of them have black bottomsā€¦oo-er missus) they look like real crumpets and we are going to try them later, so thank you for that!

6 Likes

Todayā€™s cheerful news is thatā€¦ after handing around several portions of Orange Cake yesterday (to the delight of neighbours) ā€¦ OH and I managed to eat double portions todayā€¦ as I was worried that it might not last until tomorrow :wink: :wink:
(and I was quite rightā€¦)

5 Likes

That reminds me, @stella , I tried the crumpets Iā€™d made later on yesterday and they were delicious! Need more practice with the recipe though.

Also on a food topic, itā€™s now warm enough (down to one jumper again) to consider making ice cream so weā€™re off to the market tomorrow that does the best cream :smiley:

2 Likes

Just had an e-mail from Nationwide saying OH and I will receive 100.00 each for our loyal support.

This shows how a mutual organisation, owned by itā€™s members, can survive and make a profit in the snake pit of an economy we now have.

No dividends to the Caymen islands, just money to itā€™s members.

long may they continue.

7 Likes

Lucky youā€¦ weā€™re piling on sweaters todayā€¦ and lit the logs just before taking our afternoon strollā€¦ getting back into a cosy home is glorious and Iā€™m now prepared to strip (just a littleā€¦) :wink: :rofl:

Hmph! We havenā€™tā€¦ just the usual one telling us to keep and eye on our accountsā€¦

One of the last "tidy up"s relocated my old pass book which Iā€™d kept in case they ever did de-mutualise so Iā€™ve had an ā€œactiveā€ account with them for more than 30 years.

Not a peep about any Ā£100

I turned off the circulation pump for the central heating last night - weā€™ve been seeing outside temps of 18-20 degrees in the day and 8-10 at night for the last few days - so the house probably doesnā€™t need a little boost in the evening.

Weā€™ve quite a while longer to go before we donā€™t need a fire in the evenings I think - the house is taking much longer this year for the structure to warm up. Still - itā€™s very cheery!

1 Like

We havenā€™t had a fire on in the last 3 weeks, the front of the cottage faces directly south so it heats up during these fine 23C days, sunny and 23-25C all next week as well thankfully.

We face directly south too but of course are a great deal further north than you so nothing like those temperatures :frowning:

Not that much further north but I think your a lot nearer the coast.

Just checkedā€¦ Iā€™m a bit further north but, as you say, quite a lot further west. Interesting that it makes that much difference, although I have noticed on MeteoFrance that even just 30km further south than us is reliably a degree or so higher in temperature.

1 Like

No it isnā€™t !

My son bought me a red velvet chocolate cake yesterdayā€¦ so have that too look forward to with a nice cuppa laterā€¦ :cake: :yum:

4 Likes

I had to put my throw over my knees the other day as it was so cold, but yesterday we had the door open in the salon for a couple of hours.

1 Like

Oh yes it isā€¦ (thinking Avranches here :smiley: )

1 Like

Beautiful sunny day here, so warm that after a bit I had to put my shirt back on while working in the garden. Grass cut, kindling chopped and stored, weeds strimmed* and garden looking better than before.

*Bought a brush cutter to take to France for a twice yearly shaving of the orchard. 33cc, started after 4 pulls from new, weighs about 7kg, works well. I wanted to try it before taking it and leaving it there.

5 Likes

Lovely gig supporting Claire Hammill in the Boro.

1 Like

You were playing?