Any cheerful news today? (Nothing negative please! šŸ™‚)

Me too! me too!, but in my case it is the rear veranda which, since the migration of my computer point at the far end it has suffered from my obsession to keep all the Amazon boxes that arrive, just in case (no pun intended), but as almost everything from there is worth keeping, there is barely room enough to move there now. :slightly_frowning_face:

I tried to tackle it at source, when the new wheels arrived for the gate, I left the boxes on the front terrasse, but before I could remember to jettison them, the air fryer arrived in 2 (yes 2, one inside the other :astonished:) boxes, and they are there with them now.

Years ago I used to load regularly at Stanton Ironworks which made both steel and concrete pipes. There was a special gang which, armed with all sorts of wooden chocks, 6 inch nails and hammers, read the notes and knew exactly what was needed for the load. Then off to the loading point where another gang put the pipes on the wagon and nailed everything into the right place.

But that first gang could not be seen, they lived inside a small hut which was hidden from sight in a large pile of wooden planks and beams. They even had a little fire going in there and were well stocked with water and tea. But you couldnā€™t see them, you just parked up at the marked spot and waited for these gremlins to emerge. I can see that if I donā€™t make a move, I will be like them, emerging, blinking, into the light from a giant pile of Amazon boxes every time the gate bell rings. :rofl:

5 Likes

Our first chick from Jimā€™s new brooder hatched just now.

9 Likes

Mique and petit salƩ for lunch in a cosy and friendly local resto, recently reopened by new propriƩtaires.
It was reassuringly like the old days, when we first arrived in France, with traditional fare and red/white checked tablecloths. Good food, lots of customers and satisfaction all round.

7 Likes

Sounds like good news to me, though no doubt there will be loopholes to be found.

4 Likes

I wont use P&O after the scandal, plenty of other operators now.

Nor me, not that I have need anyway, but those current crews deserve to be taken advantage of. There should have been a boycott after those events.

Moustiquaire now installed in the kitchen. The dog is happy he can go as he pleases (and Iā€™m even more pleased that I donā€™t have to get up to let him in and out)

2 Likes

Has anyone else noticed the "explosion of Cowslips there seem to be this yearā€¦
Swathes of Primrosesā€¦ as per usualā€¦ but never see quite so many ā€œcoucouā€ (french for cowslip according to my neighbour) as we have todayā€¦ along the hedgerows and across the grasslandsā€¦
Itā€™s really cheering to see them

2 Likes

Feeling pleased with myself, having just trimmed our rose arch. Should have been done in the autumn, but for reasons it was left.

My wife is out right now, and Iā€™m just a little nervous that a) sheā€™ll notice and b) not be impressed with the rather radical haircut it had. Itā€™s really needed cutting hard for several years, but then it looks so sparse and so it tends to not get trimmed and the dead material removed enough to help.

3 Likes

I think youā€™ve been very brave :rofl:

Yes Stella ! We had a little outing a few days ago, in the sunshine, and remarked on the cowslips everywhere. Very cheering.

1 Like

The washing soon dried in a nice breeze and sunshine today.

Iā€™m reminded of that joke about what the English say and what the non-native speaker thinks you mean:

ā€œYou think Iā€™m braveā€ - ā€œI think youā€™re an idiotā€

However I was mowing the lawn while the sun shone when she got home and she DID NOT NOTICE. Canā€™t be that bad then. :rofl: :open_mouth: :face_with_open_eyes_and_hand_over_mouth:

2 Likes

not an idiotā€¦ just very brave, if you thought there wa a chance your wife might not approve of your assassination attempt on the roseā€¦ :wink: :wink:

1 Like

We donā€™t get cowslips in Lot et Garonne. I was amazed heading up into Dordogne how they were everywhere. Itā€™s almost as if they stop at the border! :slight_smile:

Not necessarily. I always prune our roses in early/mid spring. You can be as brave as you like - they always recover - I love roses for that very reason.

Comment by Roy Strong (very keen gardener among other things) ā€œIf you canā€™t prune at the right time of the year prune at the wrong timeā€ . Nature is (nearly always) very forgiving. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Thanks Sue, Iā€™m sure they will be fine really, but itā€™s a little chauve right now.

All this talk of cow slips reminds me of the timeless ā€˜jokeā€™ my old dad used to tell us, why did the cow slip- because the bull rushed!

4 Likes

I was laying a trail for our hashing club yesterday in one of the most beautiful parts of the county - Clun.
I chatted with a hill farmer whoā€™s friendly border collie Ewa and I had made a fuss of during Mondayā€™s planning reccy. He told me about his dogs - the one in question was very clever but like her mother hard on the sheep - gives them a nip. I had a couple of red kiteā€™s hovering over me in one field - large numbers prevail in the Shropshire Hills.
The rain stayed off and as I walked out of the woods at the summit I was treated to the delight of the late afternoon sun on the surrounding hills.
This morning I will be trying to keep up with the fittest making sure they all ultimately go the right way and not miss a cross on one of my many false trails. A good pint of real ale and chip butties in the White Horse will await us.
https://www.donningtonh3.co.uk/

3 Likes

We have kites here in the Clunysois, but, like the squirrels, they are darker in colour than in UK