Any cheerful news today? (Nothing negative please! šŸ™‚)

It is extremely good news !!!

1 Like

Excellent.

Thatā€™s brilliant news John!

Had my summer cut and colour today, love a new haircut and enjoying being short again! :rofl:

6 Likes

I never set foot in a kitchen untill I got mrried. He showed me how to boil an egg. My way was to swish them back and forth across a frying pan of boiling water with a wooden spoon. (Actually works just as well !

Lots of memories for me to, particularly all the antics that were replaced by screens. Surprisingly enough, I have noticed that the youngsters are prepared to put their phones down at the beach if someone produces a ball. Most pastimes tended to be free back in the day but nowadays everything requires a credit card. I was a kid in the 50s and I rememer lots of talking and comparing notes with others. The youngsters these days seem to avoid real 1 on 1 communicatio. Life revolves on instant replies to textx and ā€˜Likesā€™. So sad !

I do take the point about tiny babies not making it and no kind of counselling being available to mothers. It happened to my Mum 3 times and I donā€™t think she ever got any help of any kind. I know my Dad told me about being handed a cardboard box which he had on his knee on the front seat of the bus. Grim.

2 Likes

Arrived in Bergerac yesterday. Very pleasant campsite opposite the Sport Nautique boat club. Some very enthusiastic woman single skullers on the Dordogne.
Up early this morning for a lad (Alfie dog) and dad walk along the river. Blue sky, sun shining and looking forward to exploring the town.

11 Likes

Opened a couple of tins of clams last night and saved the juice in the fridge.

This evening mixed a passable Clamato Bloody Mary - the first Iā€™ve had for many years and brought back memories of good times long ago in Torontoā€¦

5 Likes

Very good to know @JohnBoy Weā€™re always keen to know about acceptable camp sites. Trip advisor (not that I normally look at it) has ghastly reviews for yours, which is puzzling, but I guess it depends what you want from a site (not much in our case, apart from quiet and a sanitation block)

1 Like

@AngelaR Trip advisor comments make me smile, people like to complain rather than praise. The facilities at this campsite arenā€™t new but are clean and tidy. We have all on board facilities we need but prefer to use site facilities when possible rather than refilling water tank and emptying cassette daily.
The pot washing area is undercover and outside with plenty of hot water.
The showers are inside with plenty of hot water and a big enough dry area to undress and dress.
The tiolet block is again clean and tidy but no tiolet seats which is easily remedied by a fashioned paper seat!
The pitches are enormous.
Campsites are not 4 star hotels although some think they should be.
This morning the market in the town centre was massive and amazing, as is the town in general.
If we were thinking of relocating from our current home then Bergerac would have our serious consideration.

1 Like

Thanks for the full review - much appreciated! Sounds like itā€™s got everything we would wantā€¦

@JohnBoy I might bump into you this afternoon! If you see a short fat old woman with white hair and a round pink face stumping along the street itā€™s probably me :slightly_smiling_face:
@Tory I can give you that slicer if you are in Bergerac!!

4 Likes

Had the car washed this morning, ready for the trip over next weekend. I think weā€™re going to be full again on this run.

3 Likes

That reminds me I need to fix the foam nozzle attachment thingy that came with my pressure washer, as it got blocked up and stopped working. Weā€™ve had lots of pollen from pine trees covering everything recently, but it seems to be easing off so I can start washing the car and garden furniture again now.

2 Likes

For me one of the problems of getting older is my arms have grown shorter or my legs have got longer resulting in huffing and puffing to tie my laces.
Our daughter persuaded me to buy a pair of Skechers shoes which cost some 3 times more thanI would nornally pay.
Wow!
A game changer, no more laces, ultra comfortable and a dream to put on and take off. They are specifically designed to simply push your foot into guided by a hardened rear area and once on perfectly hug your foot.
I have walked miles in them this weekend and they donā€™t rub, fitting like sheepskin slippers.
I now hope they will last a long time as I tend to get through shoes quickly, we shall see.

5 Likes

They are wonerfully comfortable, had two pairs but notice when they wear out they do it quickly.

French broadband

5 Likes

After many promises fibre arrived in our hamlet last week, or at least finally connected to the installation that has been going on for the last year or so.
We have signed up and within 3 days our replacement Orange box arrived however the connection will not happen until the end of next month so the installation technicians must be very busy.
Hope its worth the wait.

2 Likes

I made some lovely hummus, soaked my chick peas the day before yesterday, cooked them yesterday, made the hummus today. Itā€™s delicious.

I had some chickpeas left over (they didnā€™t fit into the robot) so the devil naturally found work for idle chickpeas and I made a recipe for ā€œbrowniesā€ I found it online, curiosity is clearly its own punishment, anyway Iā€™m just telling you so you arenā€™t tempted.
Donā€™t. Just donā€™t.
They arenā€™t brownies, nobody who ever had a brownie would call them that, they are a travesty. Iā€™m going to eat them because waste not want not and they arenā€™t actively disgusting, and you canā€™t give cocoa to hens, but be warned. They look ok but appearances are deceiving.

However I also made bao and nem and rouleaux de printemps so lā€™honneur est sauf.

8 Likes

Since weā€™ve got on a food theme, the beef stew I prepared this morning was also very pleasing, courtesy of a nice bit of brisket from Tesco, and will be good for another couple of meals this week. Having the Rayburn running makes cooking on the top a relative bargain.

I also re-bottled the slow gin, apple vodka and some elderflower gin (incredibly intense flavour, that has the longest finish of any pleasant drinks I can remember) thatā€™s been sat in the shed for a couple of years settling out. Thereā€™s also 2L of rum that went onto the pre-loved sloes in Feb last year that Iā€™ve now re-bottled to settle.

And now weā€™re just sorting out the stuff to bring over, doing docs etc ready to travel soon. :blush:

5 Likes