Any cheerful news today? (Nothing negative please! šŸ™‚)

Iā€™m really pleased for you. Now, take time out to relax (if you can) and I hope you feel better soonā€¦

cheers

They are desperate!!! When I first heard of the job the guy who works there told me (via his wife) that they, nor the rectorate could find anyone! And apparently Riberac has a full time they canā€™t fill either!

Thanks lovelies. Iā€™m not sure what it was, just felt exhausted earlier, probably hadnā€™t eaten enough all day and then stress / busy work day / all this on top! Iā€™ve had a couple of glasses of nice Bergerac red and Iā€™m relaxed and feel fine now! Possibly just stress!

Absolutely - good point!

My sticking point has been that even though Iā€™m BAC +5 equiv my degrees are ā€˜professions reglementĆ©ā€™ so the ā€˜boardā€™ that must give overseas degrees a ā€˜reconnisanceā€™ wonā€™t touch them and there is no where else to go. So when you try to fill in the online application computer says no / no one looks at your application / I dontā€™ know! When I finally had personal info (thank you new tennis club girls group I set up!) and spoke to the principle HE went into bat for me at the recorate and lo and behold all sorted, contract being written within a week - itā€™s a miracle :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: The irony being I literally ā€˜gave upā€™ (mentally and emotionally - think I even said it on here) on the education system and decided to go the adult / formation route VERY recently :rofl: :rofl: sodā€™s law!

6 Likes

@toryroo
As in areas of life ā€¦not always what you know but who you know,
Good luck :grinning:

1 Like

Definitely great news - well done Tory! You need to watch that you donā€™t have too much work now :rofl::rofl:

I agree with John about knowing people. The smallest contact we make with local people can form an entry into all sorts of thingsā€¦

4 Likes

Amen to that

And, AIUI, doubly so in France.

1 Like

And all that time they were in need of someone like you.
Just shows how being dogmatic can be so stupid.

1 Like

Well, I think this is good newsā€¦
Just been to order some wood from the same place I tried for the first time last year.

As I clambered out of the car, the Woodsman climbed out of his forklift and strode towards me, smiling broadly and calling outā€¦ Bonjour Madame XXX.

I was amazed that he remembered my nameā€¦ and said soā€¦ with a matching smile.

He said something in fast French which I roughly translated in my head as " once seen never forgotten"ā€¦ and Iā€™m hoping he meant it in a nice wayā€¦ :rofl: :rofl:

5 Likes

I must know someone well placed as I have just received my invitation for a Covid Booster, even though it is not due until January.

3 Likes

yes my military pension came through and 5 years back pension. Now where is that aeroplane brochure!

6 Likes

Same here, glad to see that France is well organised in this respect.

Was he talking about the Sunbeam (car) or you?

1 Like

I would like to think he was referring to Stella, but probably remembered the car first. :grinning:

We had two Sunbeam Rapiers.

We also survived the storm in the early hours of this morning and which went on for hours.
We had an absolute torrential downpour about 6pm when Jim had taken the dog out and they both came back soaked to the skin.
Fortunately the mend to the roof worked well.

1 Like

We had the most gorgeous brunch - partner poached smoked fish fillet and served it on a bed of spinach on top of buttered toast then topped it with a lightly poached egg and a (real!) hollandaise sauceā€¦ my goodness, it was delicious :smiley:

(However, it has reinspired me to look again at smokersā€¦)

3 Likes

We have a smokerā€¦but 9 times out of 10 just smoke in the kettle bbq as quick and easy!

1 Like

Iā€™ve been looking at smokers this morning and, as far as I can see any closed barbecue-type thingy would work (except we donā€™t have one of course!) Can you get you kettle one to cold smoke or just hot?

I can cold smokeā€¦.more complicated as have to watch it to make sure doesnā€™t heat up. Never tried on meat, as we donā€™t really eat it, but cold smoke haddock without problem. And eggs, but they ended up a bit rubbery.

1 Like

Interesting - thank you! I shall look further into this. The purpose-built smokers all seem to be very expensive so other routes are a good idea :smiley:

The same as you I was looking into this to try to make real bacon. I found some great tutorials on you tube that would work with our lidded gas bbq! Still not tried it though!