Any cheerful news today? (Nothing negative please! šŸ™‚)

Not just one orchid but 2! I have 4 lovely green sticks. I will leave them alone and see what happens next.
Izzy x

2 Likes

Luckily Iā€™m 15 miles from a station direct to Paris. Good tip about Geneva though. Now that Easyjet has pulled so many flights out of Toulouse, could be worth finding excuses to pass through Geneva instead as Paris town is one thing, not a fan of its airports though.

Looks like any travel plans wonā€™t be till April though. SNCF gave me a 1 year pass for 1 Euro. I delayed the start of the pass year till end of March. Looks like it was a good guess based on news out of UK today

Yesterday I received a phone call on my mobile from a French woman who spoke very rapidly and I gently pointed out that, as I was a little bit deaf, could she please send me an sms instead.

She did very graciously and I soon learned that the visit from the APA for Franā€™s evaluation of need in the home was prevued for the 7th of December. At last. :joy:

11 Likes

Good news David :grin:

New specs for OH, for the grand sum of 7.85 euros :clap:

5 Likes

That I like! :grin:

Having watched currency exchange rates over last few days I did an exchange on Wednesday. If I had done it today would have received 52 euros less so the new boots that other half ordered on line this week,reduced from 75 to 50 euros on Black friday offer, are paid for, result.

3 Likes

Finally loaded my shipping container, got my booster and sorting flights! Fingers and toes all crossed I can still get into France with all the lockdowns happening. Might have to winter in Germany for 2-3 months firstā€¦ Hope notā€¦

5 Likes

I do this but perhaps after reading this perhaps Iā€™ve still been giving too much water when I do. I also fear our house is too dark and too cold in the winter! My current one is still amazingly alove but not seen a flower since the first one probably 2 years back!

I might try this, particularly as it is dark in the winter. Would a much wider ceramic bowl work as the light can then get in?

Interesting article here - no mention of needing to be in a transparent pot - so maybe not absolutely necessary.

They may tolerate lower temperatures. Iā€™ve one I keep outside on the veranda and it seems to do ok.

1 Like

4 Likes

Wowā€¦ just answered a knock on the door, to find giftsā€¦ a ā€œthank youā€ bottle of Pecharmant and some fabulous homemade soapsā€¦ thrilled to bits.

Iā€™ll be using the soapsā€¦ but the wine can wait a while, until the donor is able to enjoy it with usā€¦

6 Likes

Your veranda may be warmer than my house :rofl:

Good article, although it says this:

In the winter, keep your plant warm and cut the water back to once a month or so.

The corner (with the most light hence why chosen!) is currently 15c!

2 Likes

Mr Kipling mince pies at Ā£1 per pack on British Corner Shopā€¦.just ordered 10 boxesā€¦:grinning:

I know thatā€™s really fickle of me with so much going onā€¦.

They dont have brandy butter though and I love that tooā€¦.

I make a big lot of mincemeat I keep in the fridge, and mince pie pastry (basic shortcrust with grated orange zest and ground almonds in it) and keep that in the freezer so I can make them any time, worth trying maybe? You can freeze brandy butter as well.

6 Likes

Iā€™ve finally caught up with the 21st Century and now have a smart TV. Iā€™ve been watching an old 22 inch TV for several years now and was persuaded to upgrade it to a 43 inch one which Iā€™d thought was a bit extravagant. So glad I did now, the picture is so sharp and clear and it has more features than Iā€™m sure I will ever use. I got a real bargain too as it was just Ā£299. Absolutely thrilled with it. :grin:
Izzy x

3 Likes

Recipes please Vero!?

1 Like

Brandy butter is so easy. Here is Saint Deliaā€™s recipe. Most important thing to remember is to add the brandy very slowly otherwise the mixture will curdle. If it does curdle just add a little more sugar. Itā€™s divine!
Izzy x

2 Likes

Izzy has dealt with the brandy butter, for the pastry just get all your ingredients ready for normal shortcrust but take out a few tablespoons of flour and put in ground almonds or ground hazelnuts instead, and the zest of an orange.

Mincemeat: collect up a load of dried fruit* you like and citrus peels, chuck in some ground cinnamon nutmeg and cloves, soak it in some alcohol you like, orange and lemon juice overnight. The next day it should have soaked up the liquid but if not that doesnā€™t matter. Chop up a couple of apples and put everything in a pan with some suet and let it all turn gloopy over a low heat. It will thicken up as it cools.

• I use figs apricots prunes cranberries ginger in syrup all chopped up - I am not very fond of raisins in things.
5 Likes

Thanks girls! I love your recipe, exactly how I cook Vero, ā€˜chuck in some of thatā€¦ā€™ :rofl: :rofl: I actually didnā€™t realise it was that easy! Mum always starts her ā€˜minceā€™ and pudding in about August so know Iā€™ve missed the boat on her recipe! Remind what Suet is called here and where I find it?

1 Like