Any cheerful news today? (Nothing negative please! šŸ™‚)

On the one way street just above the square on the right set back from the road. Must be the one you are thinking of.

Yes thatā€™s the one, I was in there some years ago and it was the only one, apart from one in St. Pardoux (sadly just closed because of retirement) where I could get pain de mais.

Successfully moved the horses to their winter residence in Barbaste this weekend without incident (unlike the previous attempt - turned back after horsebox riotā€¦4 lost shoes, 1 limper):grinning:

2 Likes

Got my ESTA approved to travel to the US next week.

3 Likes

My home mades (although they look a little rough round the edges) look ok but always give me heartburnā€¦Iā€™m not sure where I go wrong but have the same problem with dumplingsā€¦.

1 Like

I know this is the cheerful news threadā€¦but this is the ingredients list (apart from normal stuff you put in mince pies)

Potassium Sorbate, Sodium Citrates, Sulphur Dioxide, Palm Oil, Humectant, Acetic Acid, Flavouring, Sodium Metabisulphite, Sulphites, Sulphur Dioxide

1 Like

Wow!
Could well be a covid vaccination in disguise, watch out @Helen6 they are coming to get you :rofl:

1 Like

Sulphur dioxide tastes so good they used it twice. :wink:

Not sure why it needs palm oil, but apart from that this is the stuff that helps it remain edible and enjoyable after more than a few days. Otherwise they would be dry, green and furry in the plastic bag.

1 Like

Yes, but I prefer to eat things without additives, and generally manage to do so before they go furry. One of the easiest ways to eat better and improve your gut health is to avoid all highly processed foods like these.

2 Likes

I canā€™t disagree with anything you said there. :slight_smile:

Going anywhere nice?

A town about an hour outside Chicago - itā€™s work related, rather than a pre-Christmas break.

So, raw, then?

It annoys me (not a great deal though I must admit) when people complain about ā€œprocessedā€ food or ā€œadditivesā€. Cooking, by definition, involves processing and additives.

You can call it boiling, baking, roasting, poaching, or frying if you like but it is still processing. Similarly you can call them spices, herbs, sugar, salt or vinegar to name a few but they are all additives.

What you mean is that you prefer to avoid mass produced food designed to have a massively prolonged shelf life. Which is perfectly OK; I prefer home made as well :slight_smile:

Chances are that if you wanted to bake a mince pie which was edible in a monthā€™s time youā€™d wind up using some of the same things in your ā€‰baking as well.

2 Likes

Probably a sub-component of more than one ingredient.

Itā€™s a good preservative.

1 Like

In fairness to Jane ā€˜processed foodā€™ is a commonly (carelessly) used term that seems to be applied to anything not cooked from scratch using raw ingediants.

1 Like

True enough - which is why I canā€™t get very worked up about it, but it certainly amuses me that people complain about it. Endlessly complaining about ā€œchemicalsā€ falls in the same category as, basically, pretty much everything is a chemical.

Like some visitors who were discussing the number of nasty chemicals in swimming pools and why they wouldnā€™t have a pool, all while using ours! Salt is added to the pool water beforehand and is electrolysed to provide effective, odourless disinfection without the need to add any chemical product.

But salt, of course, is a chemical - NaCl

2 Likes

I think thatā€™s a bit disingenuous @billybutcher :smiley: In food especially, there are chemicals and then there are chemicals.
One of the good things (this is the Cheerful thread!) Iā€™ve found recently is that, unlike some areas of highly marketed ā€œnaturalā€ products, using very straightforward chemicals such as washing soda, citric acid or bicarb for cleaning things gives a much better result than some of the byproducts of the petro-chemocal industries that we are used to, and also seems to provoke fewer allergic reactionsā€¦

(Iā€™m speaking personally here of course, other people may not find the same things)

5 Likes

OK I might be playing Devilā€™s advocate just a teensy bit.

No, there are just chemicals.

E.g. sugar - an innocent ingredient that I am sure you use in your own cooking.

However it takes on a much less wholesome mantle in mass produced food, does it not?

Not sure there are actually very many of those in food - what were you thinking of in particular.

1 Like