Any cheerful news today? (Nothing negative please! šŸ™‚)

Cheerful News - food orientated, yet again :rofl:
I recommend folk to persevere with Blackcurrants.
Friends have a super patch where they grow everything including huge blackcurrants and I take the excess when I can for jams and jellies. ~
OH opened a jar of 2016 blackcurrant jelly yesterday and pronounced it delicious.
Hurrah !

2 Likes

Hopefully this year is not like last year with the late frosts, OH is having to raid the freezers to replenish the jam stocks due to the fruit crop disaster last year, Ahhh the smell of fresh made jam again :yum::grin:

1 Like

Thatā€™s what I used to do. Freeze the fruit in summer and make jam/jellies during the cold winters.
(Tried doing it in summer one year and nearly died from heat exhaustion.)

We always have a good crop of redcurrants so make a decent quamtity of redcurrant jelly - so useful! However, we are on the lookout at the moment for Seville oranges so that my partner, who loves marmalade, can make some. Anyone seen them> I wonā€™t be heartbroken if weā€™ve missed the boat but he will be !

On the cheerful side (food again, @Stella) our last smoking, using beech this time, gave us the most perfect smoked salmon. Weā€™re going to have a go with cold-smoking other things now, having tried various fish and also eggs. This is incredible fun :smiley:

1 Like

I make ā€œChristmas Marmaladeā€ using clementines from Corsica. Theyā€™re onsale locally to us around Christmas, hence the name.

Missed making it this year, but weā€™ve still got one jar left somewhere in the cellar. OHā€™s hidden it I reckon.

Have you tried making Melon Jamā€¦ thatā€™s a winter thing I believe. Neighbours from the Charente got us cutting and chopping some years agoā€¦ a lovely joint effort, well celebratedā€¦ hic

1 Like

Heā€™s not daft, your OH :rofl:

Iā€™ve never tried melon jam - interesting idea. Weā€™re not all that far off the first sticks of rhubarb I suppose - my partner likes rhubarb and ginger jam so I have to make that. Making something I actually like would be a lot better though :smiley:

1 Like

Good grief, yes. Youā€™ve got to like what youā€™re doing or itā€™s just ā€œworkā€. :roll_eyes: :rofl:

1 Like

Or devotion to the OH, of course ā€¦ :rofl:

2 Likes

Must confess I love seeing his enthusiasm at mealtimesā€¦ :rofl:

1 Like

Yes some things just canā€™t be bought.

Do you get satsumas across here, OH loves them but I have never seen them here.

I havenā€™t either! Mind you, I hadnā€™t seen them in the UK for many years either since the supermarkets seem to call them ā€œeasy peelersā€ :roll_eyes: :rofl:

BioCoop has them at the momentā€¦. I hope as weā€™re off to get some this afternoon!

Thank you @JaneJones - I shall trot out and look :smiley:

(Actually, I shall send my partner out - better idea :rofl: )

3 Likes

Usually obtainable in Grand Frais :slightly_smiling_face:

Thanks @vero ā€¦ itā€™s a very long way to the nearest one of those for me though :frowning:

If you make it with melon dā€™Espagne it is of no interest at all, you might as well make turnip jam, it would probably be nicer. You obv meaning anyone! I think it is a SW thing, we donā€™t make it chez moi.

Lovely new boots

6 Likes

Those look veryā€¦ shiny. Enjoy your silver boots.

1 Like

Thank you! I certainly shall, I donā€™t allow considerations such as good taste to confine me :grin:

3 Likes