Any cheerful news today? (Nothing negative please! šŸ™‚)

I have a suspicion your idea of ā€˜not goodā€™ tasteā€™ is probably quite chic by British standards. :wink:

1 Like

Ha haā€¦ it was certainly delicious, so if Turnip Jam is equally delicious you might be right.

Melon dā€™Espagne doesnā€™t ring a bell. I seem to recall it was a very particular autumn/winter melon she used and, since she is Charentaise, it is a Charentaise family recipe. Iā€™ll have to check next time we meet.

1 Like

Feeling better today because the long running dispute with a Spanish Amazon fr vendeur seems to be drifting to a justifiable conclusion and, after weeks of searching for a new computer that Amazon (preferably fr) both sells and despatches, I have at last ordered a Lenovo that seems to tick all my boxes.

Due Saturday. :thinking: :joy:

2 Likes

Donā€™t know if this qualifies as cheerful news - but what a lovely sight! Big Ben repaired and renovated.

4 Likes

Looks lovely :sunglasses:, mind you for the cost it should :roll_eyes: weird seeing it in blue and I have seen some reports of folks thinking itā€™s not so easy to see compared to it being black, especially with the sun on it.

1 Like

Worth readingā€¦ fascinating.

https://www.parliament.uk/about/living-heritage/building/palace/big-ben/elizabeth-tower-and-big-ben-conservation-works-2017-/turning-big-bens-clock-dials-blue/

2 Likes

To be fair though I can only assume anyone who looks at this particular clock at any other time than at 23:59 on the 31st December is a time traveler from 1922. Itā€™s very beautiful to look at but Iā€™d suggest itā€™s purpose as a time telling device ended the minute mobile phones became ubiquitous :rofl:

To be fair I worked around the area in the 80ā€™s and used it all the time during my dinner hour and going too and from work, you can see it from most pubs and restaurants and you used to see a lot of folks looking up at it rather than their watches.

1 Like

Thatā€™s me put in my place then :sweat_smile::joy:

I will almost always look at a large display timepiece, like a wall clock or indeed Big Ben (if itā€™s in line of sight) rather than look at my watch. As a device for telling the time, a phone is my last resort because of need to activate the display and the fact that itā€™s usually in a pocket when moving around.

If you go to London now itā€™s still as relevant today as it was back then :wink: folks who stay and work in the area have missed Big Ben during the renovations.

I took this photo of Big Ben with an ancient antique folding camera, from the 30s I think, with a spool of b&w film. About 60 years ago!

Itā€™s nothing special, but there will be, Iā€™m sure, lots of amateur and professional photographers from around the world taking wonderful shots of our new Big Ben.

8 Likes

Itā€™s still a pleasing pic, nicely framed up with the branches, and a good lead from the tower. All the more specifial for being yours and not a stock photo. :+1:

I donā€™t see Big Ben as a means of looking up or across to see what time of day it is, but as a symbol, at least for me, of home, despite having lived the last 30 years in France.

Itā€™s the big-ben-booming on BBC radio 4 as Iā€™m falling to sleep, listening to either today in parliament or the news, that keeps me anchored, willingly, to GB.

3 Likes

Our dog (100% French) gets excited at the chimes of Big Ben as it means itā€™s his dinner time. So now we have to listen to BBC 6pm news whether we want to or not.

2 Likes

Sun (briefly)! A tiny bit of blue sky! A blistering 8 degrees!

A little warmer than here (Oxfordshire) though skies are cloudless and itā€™s a beautiful afternoon.

1 Like

Sunny, blue skies and 10C, itā€™s to be like this for 10 days so grass cut tomorrow and I have 30 sheets of corrogated roofing to take off and replace starting on Saturday, sometimes I wish for a little rain :laughing:

1 Like

Same here - big blue skies and glorious and set to continue, after also having wonderful blue skies over the last week. Iā€™ve also got a roof to replace which Iā€™ve been putting of, but sounds a bit smaller than yours - will probably be doing it in a t shirt during some hours - start now planned on Saturday - will be wonderful :sunglasses::sunglasses::grin::grin: good luck :+1::+1:

1 Like

Because of the weather forecast tomorrow and Saturday, Iā€™m planning on smoking salmon using another ā€œflavourā€ of sawdust. We are building up our stocks in the freezer - nearly enough for a large party :smiley:

1 Like