I’m moving to become a resident in December to meet the 31-Dec date. In preparation we have commissioned a report about our finances and optimising these with regards to tax and various mechanisms that are available such as “Assurance vie”. The report is very comprehensive and obviously this firm is trying to sell on their management services - but their charges seem quite high.
In the UK we have never used any managed services - we are both quite savvy financially and have managed our own ISAs, pensions, etc., however, in the UK we know and understand the regulations and the financial markets.
I’m interested any experience that you may have had in utilising these sort of services in France - some questions in my mind:
- Did using consultants for managing your investments provide value?
- How tightly are financial/tax consultants regulated in France?
- Do most people manage their own investments and tax affairs?
- Do the majority of people retain their pensions/investments in the UK and transfer income over to France?
- Are some of these consultants “targeting” UK expats due to the “fear” factor and the time pressure of the Brexit deadline?
Any thoughts and experiences shared will be welcome.