Any help or advice appreciated

Hi Rosalynde, I am sorry to hear about your situation. I, too, have health problems and it put me off moving to Brittany in the foreseeable future because of my financial situation (and I don't have a divorce facing me!!)

Because of all the calculations I have had to make recently, having returned to Europe after 4 years in Australia, I realised immediately that I may be the bearer of bad news for you. You need to check your State Pension Age at this website :

https://www.gov.uk/calculate-state-pension

You are two years younger than me and I know that even though I have passed 60, I have another year to wait before I qualify for state pension. However, you are already receiving benefits so maybe your situation is different.

I do know that once I've got the pension thing sorted out, I'll be on my way to Brittany because I love it so much!! I wish you well for the future. Sorry, again ...

Fibromyalgia is more well known and recognised.

I only have one daughter and she lives and works in London.

My husband has been abusive, violent at times and has Bipolar disorder! Could it get even worse?

So I don't want him involved or to know where I eventually live.

I have a meeting lined up with Solidarité Femmes, Assistante Sociale and my GP.

Thank you for your kind words Peter.

Thanks Annie. I can only do this slowly and in steps as my health problems limit how much I can do each day. It would be easier to stay in the same department but I do have one contact via face book who may be able to help me in another part of France.

I've been here less than a year, so cannot offer any serious advice as the system is quite new to me. All I would say is at the moment I'm enjoying life better in poverty here than I was when I was rich in the UK :)

Good luck Rosalynde, horrible situation to find yourself in. Tracy is right about Shirley, she has had her fair share of problems health wise and i'm sure she could give you excellent advice.

Are your illnesses recognised by the french Secu with regards to health cover etc ?

Are there no children who could assist ?

Surely your husband won't just leave you in the lurch like this ?

I feel desperately sorry for you and the situation you find yourself in. I'm sure between us all we can do a lot to help you get through this. What has your GP and Assistante Sociale offered you by way of assistance ?

The marie will have local cheap accomodation (gites de .....) and youmay well be entitled to one as when it comes empty, ???????X

You know if any of those of us on here can help we will! Even if it is just to give you a kick up the .....to get you moving!X

ok So 1 big drcision made, you want to stay in France, where in France? where you are or somewhere else? as I said all your medics know you there , but that doesnt preclude a move. Next thing after where is in what, how much can you afford what is available, what do you like, break it all down into samll steps, you can do it! You really can, dont look at the long picyure just the next step.XX

I will try going to our Marie and see if there is anything else they can do to help me. I'm trying to get my pension released early because of ill health but that would mean going back to the UK. I will contact the International Pensions Service and see if there is anything else I can claim. I will also be organising legal represenation. It all takes time. Thanks

Rosalynde,

If you have engaged in divorce proceedings or are considering doing so, it would be wise to discuss with a competent divorce lawyer what exactly your entitlements might be with regard to compensation, maintenance, share of communal property, pension sharing agreement, etc, and more importantly, how much it would cost to process the divorce proceedings to completion. Having a debilitating illness might or might not (unfortunately not my field, so can't say) create extra obligations on your ex-husband with regard to financial support for you.

Thanks Annie. I would prefer to stay in France as I am in 'the system' and under the care of a consultant at Nantes. I've had more help here than I ever did in the UK and more than what I would get if I went back. I came to France for my health so wish to remain here. I am certainly looking at what I want and need and putting myself first - something I have not been doing. The problem for me is in arranging all this with poor health and little help and support but I am determined.

Well here are the 21 benefits and/or entitlements as they stood last June:-

Attendance Allowance

Bereavement Benefit

Carer´s Allowance

Child Benefit

Disability Living Allowance

Employment and Support Allowance

Graduated Retirement Benefit

Guardian´s Allowance

Incapacity Benefit

Income Support

Industrial Death Benefit

Jobseeker´s Allowance

Pension Credit

Reduced Earnings Allowance

Severe Disablement Allowance

State Pension

Temporary Allowance for Widows

Unemployment Supplement paid because of a war disability due to service with HM forces or an industrial disease

War Widow´s or Widower´s Pension

Widow´s Benefit

Working Tax Credit

Quite obvious that the majority of the above will not apply but worth pursuing the options that could provide benefit. Hopefully this will assist Rosalynde and maybe others.

WOW! I'll call!!!!!

Annie, I reached UK state pension age last June and was sent a form to fill in and was quite amazed to see that they ask you whether or not you are receiving any of 21 benefits and/or entitlements.

Hmmm, that could be interesting for me too Graham! My pension isnt due till I'm 63!!! But I will look at the international pensions thing, you never know, and every centime counts!

Like everybody else who has already posted very sorry to hear of the situation that you are in. French Social Services should be a very good place to start. Also like everybody else I am finalising my French tax return and do know that Mairie´s are generally supportive of people who have financial problems and wondered if you had advised them? Although your UK pension is not payable for another two years it could be useful to contact The International Pensions Service in Newcastle as there are a lot of benefits that one can claim and despite ESA you may be due some of the others? Lastly I presume that you have legal representation? Good luck!

Hi Rosalynde. I too am sorry to hear of your situation, and wish there was something I could offer. All I can do is wish you the very best, and hope that you can get whatever help and assistance you need.

Oh crikey! What a dilemma!! I too ended up with a broken marriage here, it is tough anywhere but being a foreigner was an added .......not problem , everyone tried so hard to help me, but certainly made it more complex. If you close your eyes and look 5 years down the line how do you see yourself? Where are you? I guess your health care here is good? The medics all know you and know your history? Which is more appealing a small ground loor flat in the uk or the same here? Sadly all those of us on the outside can do is pose questions, you have to find the answers!!! Maybe this is a time to consider yourself and no one else, do exactly what you would like to do, if you decide to do that I suspect the perfect answer will appear in some strange way you never thought of! Maybe a house share? Good luck Rosalynde, let us know how you get on.x

can't add any more except "courage" ;-)

I can only agree with Tracy, but hope you can find a good outcome for these difficult problems.

Hi Rosalynde, sorry to hear of your dilemma, can't offer any advice apart from to say that one of our members Shirley Morgan may be able to help you. She recently split from her husband and has also suffered ill health so she may well be able to help you in terms of where to find help. Sunday afternoon is often quiet on SFN but I'm sure someone will be along in the next 24 hours who may have some suggestions. You may also find some practical help here. All the best.