Anyone Buy a Vehicle in Monaco - then Register it in France?

We (royal we - my wife, actually), have just bought a motorcycle from Monaco.
We are now in a death-spiral at ANTS trying to work out how to register it in France.
According to many articles on the internet the process is simple, due to Monaco’s relationship with France. However, that is just a high-level view. When it comes to the nitty-gritty, i.e. exactly which process to follow on ANTS, it is not so easy.
On ANTS, it seems that the vehicle is not viewed as French registered, so it must be an import. Monaco is not listed as an EU country in its own right on ANTS, so we have to choose a non-EU import. As a non-EU import, we need to provide dedouanement documents, as an EU import a quitus fuscal is required. Neither should be required for a vehicle coming from Monaco - at least, not according to every article we find on the web.
So, if you have done this, how did you get started on ANTS ?
We have working France Connect accounts and have previously imported our UK vehicles and registered a car purchased in France; getting on to ANTS is not the problem.
The issue is the specifics of registering a Monaco vehicle on tbe ANTS website. Which dématche do we need?
We have the Monaco issued Cession de Vente and a Monaco issued Certificat d’Immatriculation Provisoire. We just can’t work out what to do next…
Usually, would turn to the Facebook page dedicated to registering foreign vehicles in France. They have a wide-ranging collection og guides that everyone is directed to but they have no experience of this either…

If that is how ANTS see it then that is how it is done. Jump through the hoops and get it done, it is no good complaining if at the end of the day you have to jump through the hoop. If it comes from Monaco, then I shouldnt think the customs are too worried about it unless it is a new bike and would be only a formality for all.

1 Like

Which hoop needs jumping through? The Quitus Fiscal hoop or the 846A hoop, or a completely different one?
I am not complaining about jumping through hoops. Having created and run a business here over the last 4 years I am well used to that, thank you :wink:
The issue is knkwing which hoops to jump through, and where one finds them. The descriptions of the process are at odds with the options available on ANTS.
I am sorry to adk, but have you actually been through this process yourself @Rocam , or are you guessing at what needs to be done?

I’d suggest a quick visit to the Customs people… talk things through… then get on with whatever they suggest you do… they will know which form you need.

got to be worth a try…?

Its not really a question of customs @Stella .
Documents make it clear that there are no customs formalities between the principality of Monaco and France.
The process of registration is presented as being very easy but I am struggling to find the entry point on the ANTS website.
Someone must surely have successfully done this, I do not believe that I am the first person on here to have bought a vehicle in Monaco to register in France. I would have considered myself one of the least likely to do so but limited availability necessitated it.

Yes with an aeroplane and a motorcycle. Not from Monaco but Andorra.
You will need a quitus, and a 946. But as Stella so rightly pointed out. Go to the local customs and see what they say. This should generally be the first port of call

have you gleaned anything from these sites… they are both up to date…

Below lists the Documents you’ll need:

Certains documents vous seront fournis par le vendeur, comme le certificat pour l’obtention de la carte grise en France.
Ce document est en effet remis par les autorités monégasques, une fois que le vendeur a restitué la carte grise monégasque du véhicule.
Munissez-vous aussi du certificat de cession ou de la facture d’achat de votre voiture. Si la voiture a plus de 4 ans, il vous faudra obligatoirement un justificatif de contrôle technique (français ou monégasque) datant de moins de 6 mois.
Préparez une photocopie:
de votre permis de conduire,
de votre carte d’identité,
ainsi qu’un justificatif de domicile récent à votre nom et
une attestation d’assurance française pour la voiture.
Vous devez également remplir une demande d’immatriculation officielle, via le formulaire CERFA 13750*07.
Addmitedly it’s a bike and not a car… but similar lines I suspect.

Some years ago, someone on here posted about importing from Monaco but i wasnt following the thread. Just as an afterthought, if it was such limited availability, you might have to go to DREAL or a dealer to get it checked over despite having a Monagasse CG.

As biker of over 40 years, I wonder what was so special about the bike to want/have to go through this.

Sorry, Andorra and Monaco are not the same.
Apart for theobvious gepgraphuical separation they have differet relationshis with France and the EU. There are no customs formailitioes between Monaco and France.

If you are curious, read the information on tehlinks that Stella posted after your reply.

AH yes, those I have found.
Then we come to ANTS itself, which is what it all goes to ratsh!t…

We do have the Certificat de Cession and a Certificat d’Immatriculation Provisoire, issued in Monaco by the principality authorities. Controle Technique is not relevant for motorcycles (yet).

We are trying the importation of a used vehicle from outside the EU (because Monaco is neither a country nor a member of the EU in its own right).

ANTS is requesting, by default, the quitus fiscal or 846A. We are going to ignore the requests and add comments regarding the provenace of the vehicle.

No-one seems to know wanything about registering Monaco vehicles here on the latest incarnation of the ANTS website.It is not the same as DOM territories nor the unrelated principalities within geographical Europe such as Andorra and Lichtenstein.
There are, allegedly, procedures that are clearly defined.They are not so apparent in the IT systems.
One user on Facebook says they did it by doing a simple change of ownership, selecting code de session not available. That must have been on an earlier form of the ANTS site becasue now it insists on, and validates, a document code from the CG. There is no such code on the Certfiicat d’Immatriculation Provisoire from Monaco.
I do wonder of we are jumping the gun and need to wait until Monaco issues futher paperwork; or even if, knowing the proviiona certficate is issued to a French resident that the Monaco authorities instruct ANTS directly - thatis probably to joined up for France :wink:

Sounds as if it can take up to 3 months for the official document to come through from Monaco… which you need to complete the French Immatric… and meanwhile you can’t put said vehicle on the roads as the Monaco Regn is struck from their records at moment of Sale.

But… it seems you can get a provisional number plate (for a price) for 4 months… or else you just wait it out… with the vehicle insured but off the roads in the meantime.

L’obtention d’un certificat d’immatriculation pour une voiture monégasque demande cependant un peu de temps et il faut parfois attendre jusqu’à trois mois avant de recevoir les documents officiels. Dès que la vente de la voiture sera conclue, celle-ci sera radiée du registre des immatriculations de Monaco et ne pourra plus circuler (c’est d’ailleurs le cas dans plusieurs pays d’Europe comme l’Italie ou le Portugal.)
C’est pourquoi vous pouvez demander une immatriculation provisoire WW afin d’éviter l’immobilisation de votre véhicule en territoire monégasque. Ces plaques provisoires vous permettront de circuler en toute tranquillité en France, jusqu’à la réception de la carte grise définitive.
L’immatriculation provisoire est valable pendant 4 mois et s’obtient en seulement 24 heures. Elle vous évitera une amende de 135 € si vous vous faites contrôler par les forces de l’ordre !

1 Like

Thank you @Stella .
I guess you missed this bit “We have the Monaco issued Cession de Vente and a Monaco issued Certificat d’Immatriculation Provisoire”?
I do tend to waffle on too much, I am not upset if you got bored halfway through my ramblings. At least you are not giving advice on how to register an aeroplane from a completely different place :sunglasses:
The Monaco provisional registration certificate is valid for several weeks but the registration process in France must be started within one calendar month of the purchase. Hence we need to get something going on ANTS…

2 Likes

Perhaps you’ve already tried this but can you give them a call and ask how to proceed?

Must confess I was getting a bit confused with what you did and didn’t have already… sorry about that…
so you’ve a provisional MonCG and (I presume) put WW plates on the bike… in which case there is no worry/rush…
but it must be disconcerting NOT to have clear instructions on just how to proceed from here…

I wonder if France Services can help you (is that the correct name… they help folk with ANTS and all sorts of computerised stuff).

Once you’ve got your foot in the door with ANTS, you can relax, no matter how long they subsequently take (I believe :crossed_fingers:)

and, of course… you have got Insurance… (sorry if it’s another thing I’ve missed. :wink: )

Precisely, this situation is not covered at all by any of the visible options on the ANTS website.
Within a few minutes we git a message from ANTS that our démarche was in the hands of a “instructeur de service”, I like think that is a good thing :slight_smile:
And yes, it is insured.

certainly sounds hopeful… :crossed_fingers:

I’ll drink to that :beers:
Although it would be nice to know what the process is at least meant to be. It all feels like the Declaration des Biens Immobiliers. Tick somethings to move it along, raise a question to declare that it is all wrong… not France’s greatest IT achievement!

I think the next step (whenever it comes) will be contact from the instructeur de service, asking for more info… or… more hopefully… your dossier will be moved onward and upward… towards completion… :crossed_fingers:

Hi Magwych,

I’m about to try to do the same thing. Were you successful in the end? If so, can you summarise how you achieved that? Exactly what documents you needed, which boxes you ticked in the ANTS online process (French, EU or foreign vehicle?), what justifications you gave for documents that were asked for but you didn’t think you needed? Any other hints and tips? That would be extremely helpful! Thanks!

Hi @isuzu78,
On the ANTS website we followed the process for importing a vehicle coming from another EU country.
Monaco had a special relationship with France. It treats Monaco like a fellow EU member, even thoigh there is no official rapport between Monaco and the EU.
We received the vehicle with a temporary Monaco registration, valid only 60 days. The previous owner must complete formailities in Monaco, the registration number is returned and the temporary registration issued.
After 10 days we received a certificate from Monaco authorities, which we uploaded to ANTS. They had asked for the CoC, we uploaded the Monaco registration document because it showed the vehicle had previously had a French registration. We made a comment to the effect that a CoC was not required because this first registration had been in France.
I do not know how registerinv a vehicle in Monaco works, if it first gets a French registration then transferred to a Monaco one. That is the case with this machine.
It did take a long time, the papers finally came through some 10 days after the temporary Minaci registration expired. Whether ANTS waited until the expiry, or are just slow at processing imports I do not know.
Do yoy have the Monaco temporay plates or dud the previous owner leave that for you to sort out ?