Anyone missing Cadbury's chocolate?!

That Dardenne one is fabulous, I have tried lots and it is by a very very long way the best at least to my taste - not dry at all, just delicious, I don’t know what they do right that everyone else is doing wrong!

1 Like

I am quite happy with Cadbury’s it is the flavour I am used to - it may not suit a purist but for me it is good.

We have also found of late Milka Mmax Peanut & Caramel to be pleasant, again it won’t please the purist but I couldn’t really give a toss as it ticks a box for me when something (very) sweet is needed.

2 Likes

You beat me to it! How do you know about them?

No need to miss cadbury, or any other uk favourite. British Corner shop, supply, and deliver, very reasonably

This is the first year I’ve even been slightly tempted, as normally my annual trip to UK is enough to satisfy my sausage preferences, and remind me of things I no longer really like. But generally why bother? So much nice food here.

1 Like

and how much is a bar of CDM these days? Whatever it is, double it and add on some extra for the pleasure of getting fat (in more ways than one!).

1 Like

Shedded wheat, Branson pickle. hP sauce, Heinz salad cream. Tunnocks Tea cakes, cream crackers Suet, I could go on

2 Likes

Please don’t! All of those things bar the cream crackers (which are easily replaced by Heuderbert crackers) make me feel slightly queasy.

About the same a few years back, reducing my sugar intake and then carbohydrates re sets your insulin response so you dont crave such sweet things and if you do fancy a little something your body gets over that and back to the lower level quickly. Baring in mind the rates of diabetes are rising these little changes go a long way. Of course up to the individual but seeing someone reverse their type 2 diabetes and get of their medicine is quite uplifting

HP sauce, Heinz salad cream. Tunnocks Tea cakes, Ginger snaps, Quavers, cheese oatcakes, Blackjacks, Rich tea, etc.

1 Like

Suitably uplifted John…
I used to adore black forest gateaux and when diagnosed with T2 I complained to the nurse about my loss… The response (in French) was simple - “in which event, increase your dose of insulin to compensate!”
I hate needles more than I like black forest gateaux hence the now, good management of my condition.

1 Like

Nothing replaces cream crackers, in my view. We also order, Oatcakes. I see No point at our time of life in denying ourselves, things like Shredded wheat. We also, buy Scotts porridge oats.

1 Like

Agreed, thats why I choose nothing :rofl:

2 Likes

Like many, I was convinced when the company became American, that the product had been “Americanised” but, having researched, Mondelez didn’t change the formula, so it was always awful. Still there are worse chocolate brands. What is the Brown hard grease on the outside of Diam bars?

If you are missing Carrs water biscuits, then I have found acoustic ceiling tiles are an admirable alternative

2 Likes

Mondelez or Nestle, they are both as bad as each other. They have bought most of the traditional UK confectionery companies, asset stripped them, despite promising not to, they closed the factories, made the workers redundant and moved production to countries where labour is cheaper.

2 Likes

How many think Côte d’Or is european? In one of our local supermarkets they hand wrote a note saying American Kraft, which of course is now Mondelez the big American Co.

However Norman off BakeOff’s recipe for Farthing Biscuits makes an excellent High-Bake Water Biscuit that makes very well here with French flour. Prodigious quantity they keep excellently in a tin, really versatile, economical and they taste a bit creamy. Excellent with all sorts of French cheeses.

TBH I almost don’t miss Bath Olivers (you remember, they came in a round tin) now that I make a batch of Farthings from time to time.

2 Likes

Ah Bath Olivers, don’t think I even had kids last time I ate one of those but I loved them with plain butter - or plain chocolate!

chocolate-covered ones in a thin tall tin from Fortnum’s, and the plain much wider ones “Fortt’s Bath Olivers” from Waitrose. Not had either for some time even pre-Covid, sadly.

Linked with why Feuilles d’Automne is one of my favourite songs. Sung by several people in French but for me only Sinatra in English.

Things pass.