Are You Bothered? Yet.....?

Yep - for me it’s not solely about second home ownership it’s much more about the inane mantra of the Fifth Republic - Liberté, Egalité, Fraternité. I don’t think I’ve ever been anywhere, where those 3 ‘values’ are less evident. In fact I think their very presence gives rise to jealousy, envy, resentment and ultimately - anger.

Let’s see what happens with Act 8 today…:frowning:

I think that, following the recent court ruling that french people were allowed to help migrants from Italy, fraternite is the only one that is still alive.

That’s good news Jane because, sometimes, it can be a fine line between fraternity and xenophobia…

Just picked this up…call for the repealing of the same sex marriage laws. And backwards we go…

Populist hysterics and spite kick in, I really really don’t like this type of protean unaccountable bandwagoning rentaprotest. I think there are all sorts of wellmeaning people being manipulated and some very nasty undercurrents.
Also they got in the way and held me up when I went to/came back from work while bitching about how little work I and my colleagues do for our massive (imaginary) advantages, overprivileged workshy lefties that we are.

7 Likes

Nailed it @vero - wish I was that eloquent!!

Might be a good idea to close down some social media sites until people calm down a bit.

Bothered yet ? Not great in Toulouse today - beautiful Place du Capitole pretty much like a war zone - Capitole building daubed with graffiti and many widows shattered, widespread fires - horrendous. Absolute tossers :rage::rage::rage: Feeling sad and worried…

https://youtu.be/XZLL5UXlEFo

1 Like

I think it would be pretty unfair to label thousands upon thousands of people as “absolute tossers”…there is no doubt an undercurrent of infiltrators…but the huge majority are peaceful and they have a legitimate grievance…

Ruptly were live-streaming again in Paris…they were also live streaming in bourges…which I think was an undeclared protest so no police as far as I can tell and all peaceful…

As would I !

I’m referring to the people wrecking the centre of a magnificent city. ‘People’ with legitimate grievances don’t wreck cities.

7 Likes

Thing is GJ’s who now protest in the big cities will be seen as hooligans. 6000 marched in Bordeaux today, windows got smashed (again) and there were 30+ arrests. Shop’s are now closing on Saturdays and workers are having their hours cut, this will not help ‘the cause’.

2 Likes

Nobody wants to be a rebel without a cause, what are the demands at this stage? The BBC reports the movement but there’s no reporting on what’s wanted to bring the protests to an end.

Does anyone actually know what they want?
They are no more than a bunch of hooligans who believe they have a divine right to destroy the Country without any consequences on their part…

2 Likes

Bourges was declared, they were talking about it on France Inter a bit all week but particularly on Thursday and Friday.

1 Like

My neighbour was talking about it yesterday.

1 Like

You should see what the yelliw jackets in London are handing out :confused:

1 Like

I’m glad it was declared and also pleased it was peaceful…I watched the speech on ruptly as people gathered but wasn’t able to keep up with what was being said…partly due to my French and partly because the speaker on my phone is really quiet…x :slight_smile:

I think London is already co-opted…I think the media will try and skew it as racial rather than about austerity…???

They are walking a fine line…I don’t personally agree with violence of any sort (except doing whatever is necessary in self defence and defence of family)…,

I think they need to get wise…and many are already…to the fact that there are agitators amongst them and at the first sign of a troublemaker to have “stewards” circle them and take them out of the situation…

Admittedly that may be hard when there are so many but it’s been achieved before in other protest situations…

Same again in Bordeaux this evening - Family and friends who live there are terrified - However, according to some on this forum the GJs are doing it for us and we should be grateful - apparently a critical ‘tone’ denotes that you have lots of money, a couple of cars, a residence secondaire and are a stupid Brit who doesn’t understand what goes on “Here in France”; Give me a Break!:face_with_symbols_over_mouth::face_with_symbols_over_mouth::face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

2 Likes