Are you resident in France?

As a forum owner it poses a HUGE threat, I started my forum around the same time as FB and it was massive at one point, written about in the press etc. The constant posts - come to my group bla bla bla eventually wittered away at our user base, even with gorups set up to be FB group of XXXX (my!) forum by members. They problem is people start using it more and more and they end up getting sucked onto other things etc and everyone only has a limited internet time so thousands and thousands of amazing forums with years of (searchable , open) information and human knowledge have died. FB is unsearchable, in a poor format for discussion forum and is trying to create a closed internet monopoloy whilst stealing and monetising our personal information.

11 Likes

Good point well-made, thank you.

1 Like

I don’t use, support or like FB but I don’t see what the issue is if some SF users want to join this group. It’s not like they have to make a choice between the two, or leave SF in order to join the FB group…

3 Likes

Janet, I have no record of your application?

Thanks Graham.I’ll give it a go. There’s also a face book page helping people with their driving licenses,

As I said, I use FB only for family contacts but when I tried to rejoin I was banned almost immediately without explanation other than ‘not complying with the rules’ or some such. As all I had done was apply to be friends with family members who had been paraded before me, I was mystified as to what I had done. One of my stepsons sorted it somehow but now I don’t make any friend requests, and, with very few exceptions, do not accept any.

I am not tempted away from forums like this though, I find FB unhelpful in the way that strings of discussion do not seem to be in any sensible order.

1 Like

Yes there is and it is a must if you live in France and still have a UK driving licence.

Don’t understand that because I appear to be a member.

Why don’t the French like Crumpets and marmite?
They have just as many choices of food but other than in the Dordogne the Supermarkets seem to think an American Muffin is the same thing as a crumpet. Sorry, no!
But for a short while I found some at Intermarche in Fayence!

We can easily source English muggins at Leclerc, and Carrefour has crumpets (made in England but not very good nowhere near as nice as Warburtons)

I have actually started making crumpets recently, fairly easy to do.

Some of us do. Why don’t the English like porridge and kippers or snails and andouillette? Very silly question since we all have different tastes which don’t necessarily conform to national stereotypes.
I’d love a nice plate of Korean braised pigs’ feet right now :grinning:

4 Likes

And a good use of leftover sourdough starter! Makes a full favoured crumpet.

There’s nothing wrong with porridge and kippers - especially Scottish and Manx kippers. Delicious.
It’s all about freedom of choice. I have heard of people having kippers for breakfast covered in strawberry jam!

Oops I think the original food comment may have been supposed to go on the food thread! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I like porridge and kippers are more than acceptable.

Snails I can take or leave - wouldn’t seek them out, but I don’t like whelks etc either.

Andouillette? Ummm, yes, I’ve eaten it, not sure I would do so again - definitely an acquired taste.

Love andouillettes, also our local tripous ayeronnais and les tripes, but don’t know why the first two are so expensive when compared to the price of UK tripe. As a child in Lancashire there was a chain of UCP tripe butchers , now long gone. You can read all about ‘Lancashire calamari’ here;-

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/tripe-popularity-then-now-ucp-17665759

Re kippers - Arbroath smokies and undyed smoked haddock are about the only British foods I miss.

2 Likes

Sometimes available in Grand Frais along with bloaters (bouffi).

Bought some haddock there yesterday! Not quite as good as real thing, but acceptable. But as for bouffi - beurk!

1 Like

I get their octopus, my children are megafans. I see the logic behind the packaging just about, but I don’t like it, conditioned by too many years of prodding and sniffing I expect :grin: I’m not a fan of bouffi either.

Yes, it’s annoying as also hard to separate off the hard plastic for recycling… we like the octopus too and braise it with smoked paprika.

1 Like