Asian hornets in the motherland

I’ve just come back from the motherland to explain treatment methods used against the Asian hornet in France, on BBC TV :sunglasses::honeybee:

8 Likes

Is the clip available online?

1 Like

No not yet, maybe iPlayer, but not in France. I have a crap copy taken live from a mobile, otherwise I’ll post it when I get a copy from the Beeb

3 Likes

But what are the treatment methods ?

You are not going to get rid of them…they are here for life.

In the ten years I have lived in this particular location…they are doubling evey year.

I think that schools should start teaching how to spot them and how in particular to spot/avoid their nests.

Early methods did fail because nobody had a clue how to treatment. I agree , they are probably in France to stay; France have moved on from the ‘panic stage’ whereas the the UK are still panicking.

I use the same products as I would a wasp nests, it’s the application which is different; paintball filled with insecticide and a 25m application pole for injecting dust directly into the nest.

I went to England to train Pest Controllers and explain that if it’s controlled before they take hold, they could nip them in the bud.

The problem is that DEFRA have said that they want to take control of all sightings Only when they become out of control un the UK, will AH nests be handed over to Pest Controllers. In my opinion it’s a*se about face.

It’s worth noting that Pest Controllers in France are all diplomed and are regulated, not so in the UK.

4 Likes

You can blame UK media for that.

Killer hornets. Like they are going to kill you in your sleep.

We have a very large Céanothe which is hunming with bees pollinating as we spaek.

Come late July and August that arbre will be surrounded by Asian hornets decapitating bees. Literally.

Their nests pose a threat, they pose a threat to bees, but they are no threat whatsoever to humans in general life. They won’t go near you. They are quite friedly actually.

Wasps on the hand !

I totally agree, however, they are no more a threat to honey bees than wasps or EH. It is another predatory insect to the list which also eats bees.

AH and EH are generally less aggressive than wasps, Wasps are evil gits and delight in stinging me every year!

Stuart said: "Hornets will also chase you for half a mile and will also stay above water waiting for you for up to 30 minutes.

“That means if you dive into a pond to get away from them you need to be able to hold your breath for half an hour.”

For crying out loud :rofl:

That is one for Brexit voters.

1 Like

Hmm, never heard of him, ha ain’t no expert non plus.

Also, both photos are EH. Muppet :see_no_evil:

4 Likes

Don’t bet on that. OH was stung by an asian hornet in the garden, its nest hidden in a hedge. He suffered immediate aphylactic shock. Didn’t know he was allergic until then. SAMU, Ambulance, doctor, pompier, nurses, hospital, medications. He now has to have an Anapen always available just in case.

3 Likes

We were solemnly warned by our French neighbours, shortly after our arrival… “3 stings and you’re … out !” :anguished:
and that seems to be the accepted norme here… although we personally have no problem with our native hornet… which wafts gently in and out of the house…
However, despite what folk (whoever) say… the more recent arrival… the smaller Asiatic one definitenly comes looking for a fight… (or perhaps they just don’t like Brits…) :anguished: :wink: :wink: I’m prepared to ignore 'em, but they definitely “want to play” … aargh.

I agree….disturb a nest and you could be in trouble. But that is the same for wasps, bees, spiders. A crow ?

I got bitten by a spider and my leg went twice the size.

Come summer, I will pass them feeding in the garden and doing their stuff. They have no interest in me and I have no interest in them. They are docile dumb flying idiots. That is basically what are. In fact they are quite friendly.

I have no need to jump in a pond and hold my breath for half an hour.

I say that to my clients, with ”it’s BS, it’s 4”!

If you leave them alone, they’ll leave you alone. Since I got stung by an European hornet, I had a severe reaction and have to carry an epipen, so I have to be extra careful.

Don’t be fooled by the reports of ‘EH are the harmless good guys and the Asians will have you if you mutter their name backwards 3 times’. However, both are generally less aggressive than wasps.

:wink:

2 Likes

Totes bruvva!
:joy:

I now have a copy I’ll try and upload it, however we’re still on ADSL, it light take 90 hours to upload going by the last attempt! Bear with.

4 Likes

Cheers, Rob. Appreciated.

For those who are also interested, here’s the clip of @Rob_le_Pest on the BBC News which he shared with me earlier.

5 Likes

Many thanks Gareth,
My ADSL upload took one and a half hours for the 3 minute vid.

France has gone beyond the scare-mongering and now employ professionals to destroy AH nests. Defra have admitted that the NBU (National Bee Unit) will take control of all nests in the UK until they get out of control. I think that’s a*se about face.

2 Likes

What a good idea Rob, with the paint balls. Would the same approach work for processionary caterpillar nests?

That is not a good idea at all.

They need to starting training people now. They have no idea what is coming. They will never keep up.

It is the nests that poses the danger.

1 Like