Assistance with relocation

I am UK National, resident in France since 2004.(now retired) My friend(also a retired UK national living in England would like to join me in France on a permanent basis. Could anyone assist me with the steps she has to take? Many thanks.

Turn up. Start living. Start collecting proof of income. Apply to join the health system after three months. Apply for a CdS when the portal opens.


Small addition to Dan’s succinct approach is that not just a matter of “collecting proof of income”, she will have to have the necessary income in the first place. A full pension should just about do it.

1 Like

Basic pension is ok. Thanks Jane for your comment.

Discussed recently

A full UK “new” state pension - presently £168.60 per week, or £730.60 a month (847.50€ at today’s exchange rate) will not be sufficient to meet the income threshold for an EU national living alone which is 903,20 € per month.

£168.60 per week is  enough to meet half the income needed for a couple and it is  possible to wind up with a little more than £168 depending on personal circumstances so Kurt’s friend might be OK if she intends to live with him and their finances are viewed as a couple - Kurt didn’t say how close the relationship is so I don’t know if this is what is planned.

1 Like

This is in fact the case. So if our finances would be viewed as a couple there would be no problem. Thank you for your reply

Can someone confirm that 2 (unrelated) people can be taxed as a couple without being PAC’s or married… ???

because I am not sure that that is the case… :thinking:

It’s not so much taxed - though the two issues might be inseparable in the eyes of the French authorities - but whether income is judged sufficient to be living “régulièrement”.

But simpler to be able to demonstrate the necessary income rather than hoping to squeeze through on a technicality, I suspect.

For CdS they accept attestations sur l’honneur of people being supported by others.

I meant “Declaration as a couple” for Impot sur la Revenue purposes… which is one document which is demanded for various bureaucratic things re Income etc …

that is interesting @JaneJones Jane… please can you provide a link, since I know of at least one couple who are worried about not “being officially a couple”… and only one of them has the income…


Irrelevant of pension or other income, what amount of capital is required to satisfy the french authorities ?

1 Like

Can’t find the underlying document at the moment (bed time…) but here’s link to an example of the attestation that someone can make to look after someone else for lodgings and ‘t k ow why I ended up in Haut Rhin rather than national site!ébergement.pdf


I seem to remember that the Withdrawal Agreement has a paragraph about the rights of unmarried partners. As I recall they have to demonstrate the durability of the relationship, Ican’t remember the exact wording but I’m pretty sure you’ll find it if you read the section on citizens’ rights.

1 Like

cheers @JaneJones and @anon27586881 … I’ll check this out some more…

the Attestation is interesting in that the person undertakes to be financially responsible without stating any personal link… rather like someone taking financial responsibility for a visitor from outside Schengen.

(so far I’ve only found a link where same-sex folk have had registered partnerships recognised for entry to France.)… :roll_eyes: :crazy_face:

Without seeing a link I have to say I’m doubtful that an attesration would suffice for somethiing as consequential as a residence permit.

The paragraph I was thinking of is WA Article 11.4 but in fact it applies to reunification so not relevant here.

  1. Without prejudice to any right to residence which the persons concerned may have in their own right, the host State shall, in accordance with its national legislation and in accordance with point (b) of Article 3(2) of Directive 2004/38/EC, facilitate entry and residence for the partner with whom the person referred to in points (a) to (d) of paragraph 1 of this Article has a durable relationship, duly attested, where that partner resided outside the host State before the end of the transition period, provided that the relationship was durable before the end of the transition period and continues at the time the partner seeks residence under this Part.

It was not the reference I had read previously, but is in the titre de séjour section of the departmental website. I will see if I can recall the original one. It didn’t surprise me tho’, as have come across people being helped to settle here. Our local garagiste has a young cousin that he is sponsoring/supporting until he can stand on his own two feet.

ah, that does make sense… sponsoring a relative … (cousin)

Still cannot find what I need for non-related folk with no civil or marriage registration… :thinking:

In that context yes. But the Brexit titre de séjour is rather different because it’s based on acquired EU rights, and I’m struggling to see how sponsorship fits in. All member states are bound by the terms of the WA, unlike visa applications, which are considered on their merits according to national criteria and discretion.